Author Topic: Japanese ship deliberately rams the Ady Gil  (Read 51002 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Japanese ship deliberately rams the Ady Gil
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2010, 11:16:40 PM »
i bet they couldn't bother a chinese ship twice... >:D  at least not without going through a lot more boats and hippies

They'd get plenty of free baths, that's for sure.  Dirty, stinking hippies! =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2010, 11:33:58 PM »
Regarding the legality, it is legal for them to harvest whales for scientific purposes... how many of you actually believe they are harvesting these whales for scientific purposes, not consumption?  Of course they could back out of their agreement and everything wouldn't even be questioned from a legal standpoint.

As I've said, they are all idjits.  The idiocy of the eco-nuts is obvious. (I hate using the term terrorist in relation to a bunch of liberal pansies playing siren noises; while there is a chance their antics could get someone hurt, calling them "terrorists" gives them too much credit....  IMHO a terrorist should be trying to kill folks.. I don't know how "terrorized" the japanese are by the eco-pansies, they probably are laughing at them)

The Japanese are... well they are Japanese.  Feel free to google "Japanese gross".  I will not be held responsible for what you may see.

Also this.... very related ...... http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/254171/?tab=featured
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:39:47 PM by jackdanson »

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2010, 12:17:34 AM »
The Japanese are... well they are Japanese.

So... you don't like Japanese people? Good to know.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mejeepnut

« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2010, 12:19:36 AM »
I just love south park!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2010, 12:23:20 AM »
Feel free to google "Japanese gross".  I will not be held responsible for what you may see.

Figures about Japanese Gross National Debt?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Japanese+Gross
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2010, 12:25:44 AM »
I just saw a mainstream media article on the incident, I think from CNN. This struck me as interesting:

The clash represented a departure from the usual confrontations, said Jules Boykoff, assistant professor of politics and environmental studies at Pacific University in Oregon.

"Certainly when an actual Sea Shepherd ship gets rammed, that is an escalation," Boykoff said. "I think getting rammed, regardless of whose fault it was, shows there is violence involved."

About half an hour ago, I watched a video shot from a Japanese whaler in, I think, 2007 in which a much larger Sea Shepherd ship (steel hull, bow higher than the rail of the Japanese ship) deliberately rams the whaler at 90 degrees amidship. Another video showed the eco-nuts lobbing flash-bang grenades onto a Japanese ship, and an article noted that in 2007 the eco-nuts' attacks caused a fire on one of the Japanese ships that killed a crew member.

Yet Sea Shepherd now claims that when THEY get rammed, it's an escalation.

I think we need to commission the good ship SS APS and hire ourselves out the the Japanese whaling fleet. Shooting Student, were you aware that these "enviromentalists" you are so admiring of have actually committed murder (okay, maybe only manslaughter) in their pursuit of planetary harmony?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2010, 12:31:51 AM »
its different when its for "le cause"  i think some japanese family should sue bob barker for financing terrorists  maybe invoke the patriot act  seize his assets
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2010, 12:33:54 AM »
As a anarchy fetishist, I'd point out that folks on a US Navy Destroyer are just individuals.  They're not endorsed by a majority of nations when out blowing pirates out of the water.

In non-territorial waters, I see no difference between a "Government Naval" ship and a private ship, other than the size of the guns they probably have.  It's a free-for-all zone that, whenever something bad happens, is settled by who has the biggest guns to dictate the end result.  Then, the outrage of the aftereffects is settled by what country has the bigger guns or the most political clout.

That's why we're even dogging the Japanese in this at all.  If the Sea Shepherd folks weren't Westerners they'd immediately be blown out of the water.  Because the Japanese have no force projection capabilities at all, there is no Japanese Navy to protect these ships as they engage in whaling operations.

If US Ships wanted to whale, and the US Navy ran protection for them, we wouldn't hear boo about it because Sea Shepherd and her ilk simply couldn't get close enough to cause a stink.

Or, if the Japanese simply hired Blackwater or another security agency to protect them in international waters, we wouldn't hear about this.  The eco-weenies would never get close enough.

We hear about this because, despite being morally wrong, the eco-weenies are Westerners, and the Japanese aren't.  The Japanese are calling it racism... I call it a judgement against force projection.

I bet ya that the Sea Shepherd would leave a Chinese whaling boat alone.

On that note, I wonder what would happen if 1)the sea shepherd retards sank a Japanese whaling ship, or 2) anybody intentionally sank a sea shepherd ship.  Do they even fly an American flag?

Also, it's pretty obvious that the morons were NOT stationary, but accelerating towards the whale ship.  Not that I agree with killing endangered whales, even for science.  Hard to study something if you make it go extinct.  However, this belief does not justify the idiot shepherd eco-terrorist actions. 

Both parties are in the wrong here but the eco-extremists got what they deserved for trying to be pirates without balls.  I mean really, if you are going to call yourself a pirate and adopt a form of the Jolly Roger, then don't be a pansy.  Of course, by being a real pirate, you open yourself up to being a non-pansy hanging from the mast of some random navy ship, which again is what they deserve for endangering the lives of others.  Idiots call themselves pirates and then run and tell mommy because little Joey beat them up in a fight they started. 

I agree that South Park pretty much summed up the sea shepherd eco-extremists; it's all about publicity and trying to act tough. 

In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2010, 12:40:43 AM »
On that note, I wonder what would happen if 1)the sea shepherd retards sank a Japanese whaling ship, or 2) anybody intentionally sank a sea shepherd ship.  Do they even fly an American flag?

They are registered out of New Zealand or Australia, I believe.  The US wouldn't care at all, and it would be up to the Aussies or the New Zealanders to research and resolve the issue.  As is happening here with the Ady Gil getting smashed.

The US Navy won't be involved at all.  Japan will investigate, New Zealand will investigate, and neither has a truly higher power to appeal to for a decision.  They will haggle and argue, but neither will be "right" but will merely be representing their own interests.

Since neither country has force projection capability to speak of, they'll just grumble at each other at political functions hosted by other larger countries, and not do much of anything about it themselves.  What are they going to do?  NZ can't exactly arrest the Shonan Maru crew, and Japan can't arrest the Sea Shepherds.  What else is left?

If the US was wronged, however, we have economic sanctions we can levy that dwarf the effect of either of those two countries.  And big-*expletive deleted*ss guns, if we need 'em.
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2010, 12:42:06 AM »
I was unaware of the limpet mines and death of a whaler. I'd like to revise my position to "kill on sight." Remind me of the idiots burning houses in Washington a while back.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2010, 12:43:53 AM »
As PETA founder Ingrid Newkirk has said, “When it comes to pain, love, joy, loneliness, and fear, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ...

You beat me to it, C&SD.  I was going to say that, with his silly arguments based on moral equivalency, SS is sailing full speed in the "A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy" Sea.
I wonder if he loses many cases in court with his arguement style?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

• friends
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2010, 12:47:23 AM »
http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/news-090618-1.html

they have dutch registry  wonder how we could encourage the dutch to  drop em

Sea Shepherd Victory in the Canadian Courts

Canada Fails to Keep Captain Paul Watson from Going to Sea, All Transportation Charges Dropped in Canada

The government of Canada has once again failed in their attempts to maroon Captain Paul Watson on the shore.

Captain Watson was scheduled to appear in court on July 13th, 2009 on charges of operating a Canadian registered ship without a commercial license.

On June 17th, the case was dropped and all charges revoked. Captain Watson will not have to appear in a Canadian Court in July.

In 2006, while the Canadian registered Farley Mowat was in Antarctic waters, the Canadian Registry of Shipping through the Canadian Department of Transport changed the status of the Farley Mowat from yacht to commercial vessel. When the ship reached the next port of call in Cape Town, South Africa in early March, Captain Watson was informed by the South African Marine Safety Authority (SAMSA) that he was in violation of Canadian Department of Transportation regulations for operating a commercial vessel without the proper papers.

Captain Watson argued that the Farley Mowat was a yacht and that he had been Master of the Farley Mowat for three years with the full knowledge and recognition of the Canadian government. Captain Watson produced the ship’s registry. Saleem Modak, the safety inspector for SAMSA said he did not care what the registry said and in his opinion the Farley Mowat was not a yacht.

“A yacht is a white vessel that you sit on and have drinks with your friends,” he said with a straight face.

Captain Watson could not resist and replied, “You would think that in post apartheid South Africa there would be room for a black yacht.”

Modak was not amused and ordered the ship to be placed under arrest at the request of the government of Canada. Canadian, Japanese, and South African authorities then blocked every attempt to free the vessel in an attempt to prevent it from returning to the Southern Ocean to defend the whales.

After three months of bureaucratic red tape and with the situation looking irresolvable, the Farley Mowat quietly slipped out of the Cape Town harbor, flagless and without lights, to the freedom of the Ocean.

Three weeks later, the Farley Mowat arrived in Fremantle, Western Australia to a heroes welcome. A few months later, the ship acquired a Belize flag and left for Antarctica to hunt the whalers. Under Japanese pressure, Belize pulled the flag but not before the Farley Mowat and her crew were well on their way to the Ross Sea where for the next two months they opposed the Japanese fleet without a flag becoming in effect, a genuine pirate vessel.

The Canadian government informed Captain Watson that he would be charged with the unauthorized operation of a Canadian registered commercial ship. He was told that if he pleaded guilty to the charge he would be let off with a $27,000 fine.

Captain Watson refused to pay the fine and refused to plead guilty. The Canadian Department of Transport then advised Captain Watson that if he pleaded guilty he would only have to pay $10,000 in fines.

After consultation with the lawyers, Captain Watson agreed to pay the fine because the defense would cost considerably more.

The Canadian government then further demanded that not only must the fine be paid, but Captain Watson would have to sign an affidavit saying that he knowingly and willfully violated the law as well.

This Captain Watson absolutely refused to do so, and the case was set for trial beginning the 13th through to the 21st of July, 2009.

Captain Paul Watson’s defense was that he is fully qualified to command a vessel of any size that is registered as a yacht or non-commercial vessel. Captain Watson was given the Canadian registry for the Farley Mowat in 2002 with the full knowledge by Transport Canada that he would be Master. Previously, Captain Watson had been master of the Canadian registered Sea Shepherd vessel Sirenian. Captain Watson is also a former officer in the Canadian Coast Guard and had worked on Canadian Pacific Steamships. In addition he has served as Master on all Sea Shepherd vessels from 1978 to the present during which time he commanded five voyages to Antarctica, five voyages in the ice in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and had acquired extensive navigational experience in the Pacific, Atlantic, and Indian Oceans, and in the Mediterranean, Tasman, South China, Norwegian, Arabian, Caribbean, and North Seas. He has also transited the Panama Canal a dozen times and has weathered numerous storms, hurricanes, and typhoons.

Captain Watson as Master from 1978 until the present has never lost a crewmember, had a crewmember seriously injured, lost a ship, suffered a grounding, or an oil spill, and has never been convicted of any marine violation. More than 4,000 crew have sailed under Captain Watson’s command.

Faced with this information and with a heavyweight lawyer, Terry La Liberte, the government of Canada has backed down and has officially dropped the charges against Captain Watson citing lack of evidence to support their case.

They had been hoping that Captain Watson would plead guilty without a fight. They were wrong.

Captain Paul Watson retains his good record of never having a single criminal felony conviction or a conviction for a maritime related offense.

“It’s tough taking on governments,” Captain Watson said in response to the decision to drop the case against him. “But one thing I have always had faith in is that in fighting politicians and bureaucrats, the best defense is the law. Once again the law has prevailed, and once again we have proven our case that what we do on the high seas is morally and legally justified. We don’t break the law, we uphold it.”

Says defense Terry La Liberte, “I am pleased to put the Crown to strict proof of their allegations which they were unable to do. My client instructed there could be no compromise of his principled position, and we have done so successfully.”
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2010, 12:51:02 AM »
Sea Shepherd may lose ship registry under envisaged Dutch law

Koya Ozeki / Yomiuri Shimbun Correspondent

BRUSSELS--The Dutch government plans to submit a bill to the parliament next week to revise a law on ship registration to revoke the registry of protest ships engaged in "inappropriate activity," in response to a Japanese government request to help prevent violent antiwhaling demonstrations.

The move was prompted by the harassment and obstruction of the Japanese whaling fleet by members of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, a U.S.-based antiwhaling group using a Dutch-registered ship, the Steve Irwin.

According to the Dutch Transport, Public Works and Water Management Ministry, the ministry aims to submit the bill before the parliament's year-end recess.

Final adjustments are being made and the bill is expected to be passed into law in spring after deliberations by both legislative houses.

The Steve Irwin was registered by a Dutch senior member of Sea Shepherd in the Netherlands. In February, the protest ship collided with a Japanese whaling vessel and was used by the antiwhaling group to hurl bottles filled with noxious chemicals at a Japanese whaling vessel.

The law currently prohibits acts of piracy and similar criminal activities, but would be expanded under the bill to include activities to interrupt whaling such as those committed by the crew of the Steve Irwin.
(Dec. 11, 2009)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2010, 01:04:50 AM »
Sea Shepherd may lose ship registry under envisaged Dutch law

Koya Ozeki / Yomiuri Shimbun Correspondent

BRUSSELS--The Dutch government plans to submit a bill to the parliament next week to revise a law on ship registration to revoke the registry of protest ships engaged in "inappropriate activity," in response to a Japanese government request to help prevent violent antiwhaling demonstrations.

The move was prompted by the harassment and obstruction of the Japanese whaling fleet by members of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, a U.S.-based antiwhaling group using a Dutch-registered ship, the Steve Irwin.

According to the Dutch Transport, Public Works and Water Management Ministry, the ministry aims to submit the bill before the parliament's year-end recess.

Final adjustments are being made and the bill is expected to be passed into law in spring after deliberations by both legislative houses.

The Steve Irwin was registered by a Dutch senior member of Sea Shepherd in the Netherlands. In February, the protest ship collided with a Japanese whaling vessel and was used by the antiwhaling group to hurl bottles filled with noxious chemicals at a Japanese whaling vessel.

The law currently prohibits acts of piracy and similar criminal activities, but would be expanded under the bill to include activities to interrupt whaling such as those committed by the crew of the Steve Irwin.
(Dec. 11, 2009)

This is bad.

If you can't register a ship, then you can't enter ports.  If you can't enter ports, then you can't resupply.  If you can't resupply, then you end up engaging in more violent forms of piracy to get food, water, fuel and wenches.

If they can't dock at reputable ports, then they will dock at disreputable ones and will need weapons to protect their ships when docking in Armpitabad, Somalia.  And they'll use those same weapons once they get frustrated out at sea.

And... since commercial ships don't carry real weapons, it'll be a one sided fight.

I'm A-OK with the ships being registered somewhere.  Punish the actions... not the registrability of the ship.

It's just like gun control.

"Inappropriate Activity" is a load of hogwash that ultimately always translates to "if we don't like you."
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2010, 01:20:56 AM »
What are they going to do?  NZ can't exactly arrest the Shonan Maru crew, and Japan can't arrest the Sea Shepherds.  What else is left?

Well, I hear ramming them works well...  :laugh:

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2010, 01:22:09 AM »
If they can't dock at reputable ports, then they will dock at disreputable ones and will need weapons to protect their ships when docking in Armpitabad, Somalia.  And they'll use those same weapons once they get frustrated out at sea.

They should have a registered companion on board.

Actually, we should look into that for the SS APS
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2010, 01:29:18 AM »
They should have a registered companion on board.

Actually, we should look into that for the SS APS

So...first port of call is Amsterdam?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2010, 03:55:56 AM »
This is bad.

If you can't register a ship, then you can't enter ports.  If you can't enter ports, then you can't resupply.  If you can't resupply, then you end up engaging in more violent forms of piracy to get food, water, fuel and wenches.

And... since commercial ships don't carry real weapons, it'll be a one sided fight.

Not likely.  Those people would probably *expletive deleted*it themselves if they thought they were going to have to dock in Somalia, Yemen, or some other unnamed cesspool.  It's easy to be tough when you know the other guy won't really fight back.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2010, 07:58:57 AM »
That's a subject for another thread - but on this point, I want to be clear that I absolutely would not support the Devil's right to harpoon baby wales, forum consensus notwithstanding. =D

I see the point about the greenies endangering human lives, but it's tough to be outraged when the whalers could easily avoid the risk to life and limb as well by simply not whaling.  This is a situation that requires both parties to engage in crimes for the risk to life to arise.

As someone said earlier, you see someone jaywalking, and you accelerate to hit them.  They're wrong, but so are you.  Oh, but in this case, the Japs aren't even wrong, they are taken advantage of a poorly written agreement. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2010, 08:00:36 AM »
but it's tough to be outraged when the whalers could easily avoid the risk

kinda like the girl in the miniskirt asking to be raped?

griz

• friend
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2010, 08:40:49 AM »
Reminds me of the woman protesting a few years back.  She wanted a train to stop, so she laid down on the tracks.  Both cases have predictable results.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2010, 09:31:39 AM »
The group accused the Japanese ship of deliberately ramming the Ady Gil.

Looks like eco-trash played chicken with a vessel several tons bigger than themselves and lost.

They're lucky they didn't become Darwin Awardees.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2010, 01:55:20 PM »
SS,

Are you claiming a necessity defense for the Sea Sheperds to violate international maritime law by attacking peaceful and (if only technically) legal shipping for purely moral reasons?

Your argument being that it is morally and legally acceptable to use lethal or potentially (and reasonably foreseeable) lethal force (ramming, engine distruction, blinding lasers, etc), in defiance of laws against piracy and other unprovoked violence, against the Japanese, who are acting within the law although committing a lethal act condemned morally by many individuals, in order to protect the lives of whales?

Whales being non-human mammals, although almost certainly sentient on some level.

Great, I expect you'll be contributing to the defense funds of James Kopp and Eric Rudolph shortly.

Reducio ad absurdum.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2010, 01:58:26 PM »
Looks like eco-trash played chicken with a vessel several tons bigger than themselves and lost.

They're lucky We're unlucky they didn't become Darwin Awardees.

That's more how I see it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2010, 02:01:20 PM »
i bet they couldn't bother a chinese ship twice... >:D  at least not without going through a lot more boats and hippies

i can see the chinese ship capts official statement as released through the government now....."What boat?

Heh.

Yep, the eco-pirates don't harass folks, no matter how environmentally destructive, who aren't willing to engage in eco-kabuki and instead slip them a strong dose of reality.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton