Author Topic: Reid taking heat for "racist" Obama comment  (Read 6675 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Reid taking heat for "racist" Obama comment
« on: January 10, 2010, 12:34:41 AM »
Looks like Harry Reid is going to have problems with something he said about Obama early in the 2007-2008 campaign. According to a new book, "Game Change," Reid said he ""was wowed by Obama's oratorical gifts and believed that the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama -- a 'light-skinned' African American 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one,' as he said privately."

Reid has quickly issued an apology:

I deeply regret using such a poor choice of words. I sincerely apologize for offending any and all Americans, especially African Americans for my improper comments.

I was a proud and enthusiastic supporter of Barack Obama during the campaign and have worked as hard as I can to advance President Obama’s legislative agenda.

Moreover, throughout my career, from efforts to integrate the Las Vegas strip and the gaming industry to opposing radical judges and promoting diversity in the Senate, I have worked hard to advance issues important to African American community.

The irony is that Reid is taking heat for one of the few times he actually told the truth. If Obama were a dark-skinned black man with a dialect, he would have been far less electable, or more than likely unelectable.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Reid taking heat for "racist" Obama comment
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:51:58 AM »
At first I was all  :laugh:   =D  Democrats are such hilarious closet racists.

Then I was like  ;/  It will quickly be forgotten, like other unconscionable comments from Democrats.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 01:05:13 AM »
Do you mean comments such as Joe Biden's: “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

:D

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 01:20:36 AM »
IMHO liberals are usually more racist than conservatives.  That is why they think people of color need handouts.  They are implying that certain people can't compete because of their skin color.  Obviously there are some jerks out there who don't like to hire minorities, but I believe that is only a small, small portion of the population.

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 01:26:46 AM »
He said it two years ago and is apologizing now?  Sounds more like he is sorry he got called on it instead of sorry he said it.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 09:32:38 AM »
Do you mean comments such as Joe Biden's: “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

:D

Or Hillary Clinton's dumb joke about Ghandi owning a gas station? 

Let's keep the quotations coming!   =)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 10:36:19 AM »
This will not be settled until we hear Janeane Garafalo's comments.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 10:43:11 AM »
Would you settle for Sandra Bernhardt's fantasy about Palin being gang-raped by black men? 

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 11:03:40 AM »
I don't have a Negro accent, either.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 03:00:44 PM »
Didn;t Trent Lott lose his Senate leadership position for racially insensitive remarks?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 03:06:20 PM »
Trent Lotts remark, IMO, was not racial at all. The left took poetic license to a new level in distorting what Lott said.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 04:24:32 PM »
And let's not forget the sudden and immediate destruction of George Allen's political career for the macaca incident. 

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 04:39:42 PM »
Everybody knows only conservatives can be racists.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 10:24:49 PM »
That.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 12:23:58 AM »
Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing can be distilled into the following question:

Is Reid's replacement more, or less, anti-gun than Reid ?

[popcorn]

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 06:22:25 AM »

Very true.....just ask Clarence Thomas, Michael Steele, and Walter Williams....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 08:46:23 AM »
Very true.....just ask Clarence Thomas, Michael Steele, and Walter Williams....
"Oreo Cookies don't count."  - some Democrat
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 09:34:18 AM »
Interesting continuation of the story at the link. I was surprised Steele stepped up here, and annoyingly, not surprised that Al Sharpton was on Reid's list of people to apologize to.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/10/reid-mounted-aggressive-campaign-minimize-obama-negro-comment/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 05:23:30 PM »
The irony is that Reid is taking heat for one of the few times he actually told the truth. If Obama were a dark-skinned black man with a dialect, he would have been far less electable, or more than likely unelectable.

No, it's not true.  Were Obama dark as a struck match, it would have made no difference.  While many black Americans pay attention to varying skin tones within their own ranks, white Americans do not.  To us, black is black.  This is usually known as the one drop rule. 

As for "dialect," many black Americans speak in a very polished and educated manner, and also sound distinctly "black."  MLK, for instance.  Obama himself sounds "black," at least to me.  Unless, of course, Reid thinks that a "black dialect" means an uneducated, inarticulate one. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 06:24:53 PM »
I don't know about that, Fistful. I think there's still a difference in gut feelings, and a very dark-skinned black would have been perceived differently.

I obviously can't back that up, and I don't know anyone who's done any serious studies on the subject. Anecdotally, though, I'd point out that the successful black actors and actresses of today are lighter-skinned. The only exception I can think of is Whoopi Goldberg.

As for dialect, I assume that Reid meant a really heavy dialect, but don't know that for sure. I don't detect a dialect in Obama's speaking, though.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 06:34:27 PM »
I don't know about that, Fistful. I think there's still a difference in gut feelings, and a very dark-skinned black would have been perceived differently.

A "typical white person's" reaction to a black man walking toward them in a dim alley is quite a bit different from their reaction to a Presidential candidate on TV.  Just like a lot of white people didn't mind voting for Barack Obama, even if they wouldn't want him to date their sister. 

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 08:33:10 PM »
I dont think reid's comment was racist.  I think he was reflecting on his observation that many americans are still racists.  I'm more angry that he thinks that, than any implied racism of his own.

The comment was definately dumb.

Having said that, I'd like nothing more than to see Harry Reid leave the senate leadership, but for different reasons than I'd imagine you folks have :)
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 08:57:47 PM »
Morgan Freeman?  Denzel Washington?  Will Smith?  Not exactly light-skinned...  Yet somehow popular, I'd say.

The whole race situation in America is pathetically absurd and heading for worse.  So long as we think in sociological categories, with official imprimatur, we will never get our heads on straight on this subject. 

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 09:10:54 PM »
I dont think reid's comment was racist.  I think he was reflecting on his observation that many americans are still racists.  I'm more angry that he thinks that, than any implied racism of his own.

The comment was definately dumb.

I guess I'd agree with that.  It's funny what happens when you use the word "Negro."  It should be a perfectly innocent term, but people are stupid, so...

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 10:08:09 PM »
Re stupid: check out the story today on the emos going into depression and withdrawal because they can't live on Avatar's Pandora... =D
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.