Author Topic: 9th Circuit ruling on felons voting rights  (Read 3072 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
9th Circuit ruling on felons voting rights
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:07:32 PM »
http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2010/jan/9th-circuit-restores-felon-voting-rights

There's some buzz around the gun blogosphere.  The same arguments the Court makes for disproportionate racial impact on felons voting rights could be applied to firearms ownership.  Depending who gets a model case strategy worked up (clone Guru now!) this could start the dialog about what crimes should be felonies and what types of felonies actually rationally deserve the denial of fundamental gun rights.   
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: 9th Circuit ruling on felons voting rights
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:30:52 AM »
(clone Guru now!)     

And that Gura guy, too!   =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 03:31:03 AM »
http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2010/jan/9th-circuit-restores-felon-voting-rights

There's some buzz around the gun blogosphere.  The same arguments the Court makes for disproportionate racial impact on felons voting rights could be applied to firearm

Could be applied to walking down the street too.  Some things should be denied to felons, at least while they're still in prison.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 03:35:22 PM »
And that Gura guy, too!   =D

Quiet you!  =D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 03:43:32 PM »
Could be applied to walking down the street too.  Some things should be denied to felons, at least while they're still in prison.

IIRC, teh case is about felons after they serve their time.  If that's indeed the case, I believe they should have all rights restored after they fully serve their time.  By this, I don't mean parole or conditional release programs, but serving a sentence in full as determined by teh sentencing judge.  It should not require special action by another judge.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 03:45:35 PM »
If you can't trust a person to vote (own guns etc) you shouldn't release them from prison. And we'd have enough prison space to make that a reality if we stopped locking people up for so many stupid reasons.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 04:11:39 PM »
Actually, the case involves convicts in prison.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 04:17:10 PM »
IIRC, teh case is about felons after they serve their time.  If that's indeed the case, I believe they should have all rights restored after they fully serve their time.  By this, I don't mean parole or conditional release programs, but serving a sentence in full as determined by teh sentencing judge.  It should not require special action by another judge.

interestingly enough in the real world someone who finishs all his time almost has to be either a screw up in jail or an incorrigible career criminal. otherwise everyone gets out a lil early with parole and god time
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 07:40:32 PM »
IIRC, teh case is about felons after they serve their time.

In a surprise ruling even for a notoriously liberal federal court that frequently gets overturned, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has restored the voting rights of incarcerated felons in order to end racial discrimination of that population.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 08:29:56 PM »

I am obviously wrong about the case then, and agree voting rights for someone in prison currently serving a sentence are not necessary.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM