Author Topic: My Avatar rant... (or, what movie did these gun bloggers all watch?)  (Read 18446 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: My Avatar rant... (or, what movie did these gun bloggers all watch?)
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2010, 01:39:57 PM »
Exactly. 

But that's what the humans were doing in the movie.  Which is why I find the frothing-at-the-mouth about how anti-American the movie is to be...strange.

"Hey!  They made a movie where the Bad Evil Guys did something we don't do!  It's obvious that they're saying we're the Bad Evil Guys, for doing that thing that...we don't do!  Yeah!"   ???

It's because that's what they believe we (i.e. America and the West) do. And, if they are erudite enough to understand that we don't do that, it is what they believe we conservatives WANT to do: rape and pillage.

For example: "No more blood for oil!"

They believe that any pride in American culture means other cultures completely suck and must be destroyed.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:04:56 PM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2010, 02:04:14 PM »
Nope - 2 different Panasonic plasmas, the upstairs ~1.5 years old, the downstairs one of their new-this-year THX-rated models (G1, I think?)  I don't remember 3D being mentioned anywhere in the promotional or instruction materials.  Oh well - as has been noted, Avatar is all about the superwhammodyne VFX, so I won't be getting it until we get a TV that makes it worthwhile - or not at all, once actual good STORIES are available with said neato VFX, too.  I'm capable of enjoying purely-visual spectacles, but given the choice between the two, I'll take good visuals plus good story over just good visuals. [popcorn]

I'm with ya there. As I said, if it's a good movie now, it will still be good later. Also, being the first, better will likely follow. Then again, people may just get tired of the 3D, if it doesn't add to the story at all. I got a pretty good deal on my TV, and bought it for it's other attributes (1080P, beautiful picture, very good price) so I won't be disappointed if it doesn't pan out.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good grief. ;/

Probably the same sort of people who were putting flowers on the grave of the fictional character, Jack ????, from another Cameron movie, "Titanic".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2010, 02:14:20 PM »
it is what they believe we conservatives WANT to do: rape and pillage.

Wait... we don't?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2010, 03:07:04 PM »
It's because that's what they believe we (i.e. America and the West) do. And, if they are erudite enough to understand that we don't do that, it is what they believe we conservatives WANT to do: rape and pillage.

For example: "No more blood for oil!"

They believe that any pride in American culture means other cultures completely suck and must be destroyed.

Made my argument for me.  Thanks  :-*
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

jdoc

• I don't know!
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2010, 05:24:52 PM »
        I have seen the movie twice and thought it was an amazing film. I didn't feel it portrayed any specific message leftist or otherwise. The story has been done before but the way they did it really pulls you into the movie with avatar. Every one is allowed their opinion and its been kind of interesting reading some of your responses. I for one really liked the movie and plan on buying it when it hits blue-ray. 

If any thing this is the message i got out of it for what it's worth.    "it's not right to bulldoze an entire culture, because you want what they have, and just because someone's beliefs are different from your own, that doesn't intrinsically make them invalid."       

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2010, 06:47:25 PM »
Don't let mere politics, plagiarism, and plot problems preclude you from enjoying a breathtaking 3D spectacle.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2010, 06:56:33 PM »
If I want to enjoy beautiful imagery, I'll go to a museum.

I've sworn off paying real money and wasting irreplaceable hours of my life being beaten over the head with Hollywood's political biases.  I'm sorry, but the tired old cliche of the innocent, utopian, nature-loving culture being attacked by the industrialized, greedy, imperialist westerners is something I've seen way too many times already.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2010, 07:01:26 PM »
If I want to enjoy beautiful imagery, I'll go to a museum.

I've sworn off paying real money and wasting irreplaceable hours of my life being beaten over the head with Hollywood's political biases.  I'm sorry, but the tired old cliche of the innocent, utopian, nature-loving culture being attacked by the industrialized, greedy, imperialist westerners is something I've seen way too many times already.

The forum needs a "like" button, like facebook.   =D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2010, 07:20:37 PM »
"I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.' "

Well, give it a try and see what happens  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2010, 07:27:35 PM »
The forum needs a "like" button, like facebook.   =D

[Likebutton]+1![/Likebutton]  =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2010, 03:56:27 AM »
I saw it for the 3D, which was awesome.  I can't wait for a sci-fi film with this technology that doesn't poke a black hole in space-time with its inescapably sucky plot.

Pandora was beautifully rendered, and I particularly enjoyed Sigourney Weaver's performance.  Other than that I simply cleared my mind and tried not to get clubbed over the head with the message.

At the risk of sounding like George Lucas (five Hail Marys for even mentioning him), here are some things that would have made Avatar better:

1. Make the Na'Vi a bunch of jerks.

Watch Mel Gibson's Apocalypto and make the majority of the Na'Vi as ruthless as the Mayans.  Have Neytiri be part of a small group of people who want to save the Home Tree.  Let the majority be in league with the humans, trading mining rights for weapons to crush smaller tribes.

2. Make the MacGuffin (Unobtanium) not a MacGuffin.

Rather than a useful mineral that is otherwise irrelevant, why not a substance that will help heal the broken Earth?  Perhaps a substance that will bring life back to fallow soil, or help scrub the air of toxins.

3. Make us care about the humans.

As in #2, give us a reason to care whether or not the humans are successful.  Restoring Earth is a laudable goal.  Also, create political pressure from liberals back home for a less invasive mining operation.  The heavy-handed methods of the humans on Pandora should not be universally accepted.  Support for the Avatar program should come from home and be obvious, like a vocal senatorial panel.

4. Make us care about Jake Scully, or at least give him an edge.

If Jake cares about restoring Earth, then he'll be conflicted about harming the Home Tree.

5. The final battle should have no clear winner.

Everybody loses.  The Na'Vi are worse off after driving the humans away, and Earth is still screwed without the helpful material.  The happy ending is only with Jake and Neytiri and their successful relationship, and their hope for the future on a local level.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:02:19 AM by Devonai »
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2010, 09:06:04 AM »
I saw it for the 3D, which was awesome.  I can't wait for a sci-fi film with this technology that doesn't poke a black hole in space-time with its inescapably sucky plot.

Pandora was beautifully rendered, and I particularly enjoyed Sigourney Weaver's performance.  Other than that I simply cleared my mind and tried not to get clubbed over the head with the message.

At the risk of sounding like George Lucas (five Hail Marys for even mentioning him), here are some things that would have made Avatar better:

Watch Mel Gibson's Apocalypto and make the majority of the Na'Vi as ruthless as the Mayans.  Have Neytiri be part of a small group of people who want to save the Home Tree.  Let the majority be in league with the humans, trading mining rights for weapons to crush smaller tribes.

Rather than a useful mineral that is otherwise irrelevant, why not a substance that will help heal the broken Earth?  Perhaps a substance that will bring life back to fallow soil, or help scrub the air of toxins.

As in #2, give us a reason to care whether or not the humans are successful.  Restoring Earth is a laudable goal.  Also, create political pressure from liberals back home for a less invasive mining operation.  The heavy-handed methods of the humans on Pandora should not be universally accepted.  Support for the Avatar program should come from home and be obvious, like a vocal senatorial panel.

If Jake cares about restoring Earth, then he'll be conflicted about harming the Home Tree.

Everybody loses.  The Na'Vi are worse off after driving the humans away, and Earth is still screwed without the helpful material.  The happy ending is only with Jake and Neytiri and their successful relationship, and their hope for the future on a local level.

Complexity!?? In a MOVIE?!?!?

Yeah, like that'd work.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2010, 09:34:57 AM »

Dev, next time I write a movie, I'm keeping you in mind as a consultant.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2010, 01:38:23 PM »
Thanks!

There was another glaring plot problem I noticed.  In the Land of Floating Islands or whatever they called it, long-range communications are supposed to be impossible.  So how did the Avatars function there the first time they visited?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2010, 02:22:27 PM »
The transmission cortex uses quantum tunneling, only possible for synaptic relays not radios.

What?  You guys didn't read the source book?

Thanks!

There was another glaring plot problem I noticed.  In the Land of Floating Islands or whatever they called it, long-range communications are supposed to be impossible.  So how did the Avatars function there the first time they visited?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2010, 03:28:08 PM »
I'm glad they didn't mention that in the movie or I would have laughed out loud.  Imagine me as Doc Brown running around screaming, "One point twenty-one gigawatts???  One point twenty-one gigawatts???"

Based on my very rudimentary understanding of quantum tunneling, using it as a information transmission method over distances would require an enormous amount of power.  But it is the future, after all.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2010, 03:29:40 PM »
I'm glad they didn't mention that in the movie or I would have laughed out loud.  Imagine me as Doc Brown running around screaming, "One point twenty-one gigawatts???  One point twenty-one gigawatts???"

Based on my very rudimentary understanding of quantum tunneling, using it as a information transmission method over distances would require an enormous amount of power.  But it is the future, after all.

Wait, are you saying I managed to insert a real physics thing into my hand-waving?

Looks like I'm picking up stuff from RevDisk after all.  =D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2010, 04:08:01 PM »
I live within five miles of a college campus! Five miles, people!

I am undecided about seeing this flick. The nearest 3D capable moving picture house is 90 minutes away and I'm not sure I want to to spend three hours driving wrapped around a three hour movie.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2010, 04:16:58 PM »

Even the Vatican has weighed in:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/vatican-says-avatar-no-masterpiece-ap

VATICAN CITY - "Avatar" is wooing audiences worldwide with visually dazzling landscapes and nature-loving blue creatures. But the Vatican is no easy crowd to please.

The Vatican newspaper and radio station are criticizing James Cameron's 3-D blockbuster for flirting with the idea that worship of nature can replace religion — a notion the pope has warned against. They call the movie a simplistic and sappy tale, despite its awe-inspiring special effects.

"Not much behind the images" was how the Vatican newspaper, L'Osservatore Romano, summed it up in a headline.

[more at the link]
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2010, 04:21:53 PM »
Yeah, but what does the Vatican know about art?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2010, 04:32:08 PM »
Yeah, but what does the Vatican know about art?

You're right.  The Sistine Chapel ought to have a mural of Pandora on the ceiling, not all those silly frescoes.

*blech*

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

mtnbkr

• friend

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2010, 05:47:12 PM »
Wow, I actually agree wholeheartedly with the Vatican about something. That brings the total up to two.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2010, 06:57:37 PM »
hmmm:  http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jjmnolte/2010/01/13/james-cameron-like-the-redneck-nra-supporters-they-are/

Maybe the movie isn't so benign after all...

Chris

That quote doesn't make the movie itself less benign, it just clearly identifies Cameron as an idiot.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »
Didn't everyone who's actually SEEN the movie already weigh in here?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage