Author Topic: Cookbooks  (Read 3456 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Cookbooks
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »

Greetings,

Knowing we have a very diverse collective here, I was hoping folks could recommend some good cookbooks.  I prefer to lean towards more simple cooking than elaborate multi-dish multi-hour cooking, but I'm open to any suggestions. 

My SOP is to collect a bunch of recipes, try them until I find the ones I like (ie easy to prepare and tastes good).  I prefer to have a "menu" of roughly a dozen recipes I most commonly use.  When I get bored, ditch them and start over again.

So...  Suggestions?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
Re: Cookbooks
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:27:47 AM »
^that didn't take long^

:lol:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:36:50 AM »
The Joy of Cooking. I've not been bored with it for quite a while.

Another good source is http://www.theppk.com/ - mostly vegan and vegetarian, but AMAZING blends of spices. A really fantastic recipe to make a large batch of and freeze for longer-term use is the Ethiopian spicy tomato lentil stew.  =)

Other than that, I tend to grab the cheap used foreign cookbooks at yardsales, booksales, etc. I've found many recipes I never would have thought were even half possible.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Hi.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 09:05:55 AM »
How To Cook Everything, by Mark Bittman"

http://www.howtocookeverything.tv/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 09:39:34 AM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 09:47:37 AM »
My mother purchased the Rachel Ray "Guy Food" cookbook for me while I was still single.

It has a number of very good recipes (including a bacon cheesburger recipe).

I haven't made them all, but those that I have are VERY good.

http://www.amazon.com/Guy-Food-Rachael-30-Minute-Meals/dp/1891105213/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263307455&sr=1-1

My wife LOVES (and loves to make) the Barbecue Salmon Salad. It's my favorite meal.

I quite enjoy the inside-out cheeseburger recipe, as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 09:48:38 AM »
Betty Crocker Cookbook

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 10:25:40 AM »
   My SOP is to collect a bunch of recipes, try them until I find the ones I like (ie easy to prepare and tastes good).  I prefer to have a "menu" of roughly a dozen recipes I most commonly use.  When I get bored, ditch them and start over again.

I like this approach.  Trouble is that my husband cannot comprehend that I am not using a recipe.  Can't seem to get through his head that I am using a recipe, I just don't have it written down, having developed the recipe over the past dozen times I've cooked the thing.  I do myself wishing that I had written recipes from time to time though.  Forgot the walnuts in my baked oatmeal again last week.  Doh!

That said, my other half has been using both How to Cook Everything and Alton Brown's I'm Just Here for the Food and likes them both.  He tends to prefer Alton Brown's, but that may be because we like the shows and because it's very prettily laid out--something that is, imo, valuable in a cookbook, unlike in just about any other kind of book.

But if you are looking for a dozen new one- or two-dish meal ideas, then I'd just use the interweb.  Don't know if you are at all interested in veggie recipes, but I've been trying to implement vegetarian days/weeks from time to time for nutritional reasons (running alot=high carb+low-fat protein needs, I don't really like low-fat meat in general and my husband sucks at controlling portion sizes of meat), and I have found the recipes at vegetariantimes.com to be mostly very awesome--inventive but in simple ways, not overly complex, and generally of a higher quality than most recipe collections I've found inline.   All in all a great source for augmenting an omni diet.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 11:04:09 AM »
Pressure Perfect by Lorna Sass.

Pressure-cooking cookbook with a lot of pc-fu.

I'll not be without a pc again, it makessome things too darn easy.

<insert Queen/David Bowie tune>
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 11:22:59 AM »
To serve man.
Look, tiny text!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 11:26:41 AM »
To serve man.
It's a cook book!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serve_Man_(The_Twilight_Zone)

Hey, I got an idea, why not get the To Serve Man cookbook!?   :P

Didn't we already discuss long pork somewhere...

Here it is!

Learn to like Long Pork, and don't be afraid to poke your fat friends in the ribs every now and then for tenderness.   =D
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 11:42:57 AM »
Walk into any book seller store.  Check out your local library, you can use them for free to try them out.

I watch the food channel and have scored lots of tasty, easy receipes that can be printed on the food network web site.

When I was young and tender and chasing the ladies, I used the "Playboy Cookbook".  Lots of easy real good receipes in there.  It has been out of print for some time but may be had on ebay or used book stores.  Scored my wife of 36 years with the cooking from that book.....chris3

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
epicurious.com 

jdoc

• I don't know!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 07:10:43 PM »
     http://acta1.typepad.com/dixiedave/cookbook/

Having ate there a few times before the He closed his place up, I can tell you if you like wild game this cook book is a must.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 11:22:11 AM »
How to Grill and The Grilling Bible by Steven Raichlen.  THat's a lifetime of cooking information right there.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 11:41:32 AM »
There are several online sources, I prefer www.allrecipes.com
Searchable, including an ingredient search.  Check your pantry for food you want to use, punch it in, and make something.   [popcorn]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”