Author Topic: Any shotshell reloaders here ?  (Read 1117 times)

GAGGER

Any shotshell reloaders here ?
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:48:20 AM »
Good morning. I have a bunch of 3.5" 12 gauge hulls  laying around that I cant reload because of my press. Can I cut them down to 2.75" and load? I know you are supposed to match the powder, primer and wad to the specific hull you  are using. Is there a light target load that might be usable in all different hulls ? I am a noob to shotshell reloading. Thanks in advance.

HankB

• friend
Re: Any shotshell reloaders here ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 10:55:33 AM »
Everything I've read in shotshell reloading manuals states that you should follow the recipe exactly and not attempt to extrapolate loads. I've interpolated powder charges a few times, but that's only when published data shows powder charges that bracket the one I want to use, with all other components held constant.

I would not try to convert 3.5" shells into 2.75" shells; you simply don't know how the internal volume, taper of the case walls, etc., compares with regular 2.75" shells . . . and even the act of forming a new crimp after trimming 3/4" off the shell could change ballistic characteristics.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

GAGGER

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 12:29:56 PM »
I did make a dummy round and it crimped well. I posted this on thr also and got the same reply. I strange to think the volume varies that much, 12 gauge is 12 gauge, 3.5" is just longer ???

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:43:06 PM »
Don't do it. 
Basewad dimensions are bound to differ, creating pressures drastically different than indicated.

FOLLOW SHOTSHELL RECIPIES EXACTLY.

Crimped well?  You can get 8-10 crimps on an STS or AA uless you're running a gas-powered autoloader, then 5-6 before it's scorched ubar. 
How many times is that cut-up 3.5 gonna crimp? 
Not worth it. 
Throw the 3.5" hulls away.
7-11 was a part time job.

GAGGER

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 12:59:31 PM »

Crimped well?  You can get 8-10 crimps on an STS or AA uless you're running a gas-powered autoloader, then 5-6 before it's scorched ubar. 
How many times is that cut-up 3.5 gonna crimp? 
Not worth it. 
Throw the 3.5" hulls away.
[/quote]

I hear ya TCS, Im just bored, and I hate to throw thing out.....

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 01:31:47 PM »
Give them away on craigslist.  I gave away a couple-three hunner'd 2.75 hulls over the summer.  Always meant to get into reloading em, but at some point you have to face the fact that it's been years and you still don't own a press :)

Incidentally, The only time I ever jammed my Ithaca was with a shell that was improperly trimmed down to 2.75 length.  Could not get the thing to eject after firing.  Action would move back but the hull was simply too long and not clearing the chamber when it was supposed to drop down for ejection.  I had to open the action, remove the barrel, close the action then pry the hull from the ejector as is protruded from where the barrel normally was.

Setting it up on the bench, it was about .125 longer overall after having been fired when compared to a row of fired factory 2.75 hulls.  It had come from a bag of old ammo a friend of mine gave me.  Apparently he used to reload and told me he had cut down a bunch of 3" to make 2.75"
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 02:48:12 PM »
What everyone else said.

Follow recipes EXACTLY.  DO NOT SUBSTITUTE OR EXTRAPOLATE DATA.

Remember that shotshells operate at hand grenade pressures only a couple of inches from your face.......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.