Author Topic: IE Antivirus 3.3  (Read 712 times)

Jim147

• friends
IE Antivirus 3.3
« on: January 27, 2010, 01:34:07 PM »
Just got in an old Win 98 system from one of the local businesses.
Took a quick look at it. Wow, won't read my flash drive, hard drive won't read through my USB adapter, and all the Malware programs I have only work down to 2000 or XP.

Any thought before I do a manual removal of this program?

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: IE Antivirus 3.3
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 02:07:33 PM »
Don't know if this will work. I have never tried it. But, you could remove the HD. Put it in a USB box, made for HDs and plug the USB into a current computer and attempt a scan, maybe.

It's win 98, so it's worth a try just to get it going to play Duke Nukem.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
Win 98 ...won't read my flash drive, hard drive won't read through my USB adapter

98 will need drivers installed for that.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 05:04:12 PM »
Check the BIOS to see if USB support is enabled. On my previous machine it defaulted to disabled.  Also, flash the BIOS.  On the same machine I was having some flaky USB connectivity issues that disappeared after I updated the BIOS.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 05:46:25 PM »
Thanks for the input.

The USB was working fine on his printer. Since it is a dial up I didn't try going online to get drivers for the flashdrive.

I'm not sure why the hard drive wouldn't read through my USB to IDE adapter. So I pulled the drive and have it in a Dell I'm working on.

I'm trying to backup the drive now but it keeps stalling out in the process.

I'll just keep beating on it. I told him I would have it back when he opens tomorrow.

jim

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 12:11:36 AM »
On Windows 98, you need to install separate USB drivers for just about every device connected via USB.  That's why the thumbdrive and the USB/IDE adapter would not work.  Get the driver for a thumbdrive, install it via floppy, then you can use the thumbdrive to add drivers for other devices.
Win98 drivers for older thumbdrives can still be had from some manufacturer's websites.  There are drivers available for some of the USB/IDE adapters, as well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
It wasn't a driver issue on the usb/ide adapter because I was hooking that drive to this XP system.
It was a dumass issue. When I got the system I had something else to do and someplace to be all at the same time. I forgot to change the jumper on the hard drive when I hooked the adapter to it so it never read the drive being there.

I did a manual removal of the IE Antivirus, but the trojan army working in the background slowed me down for a bit. I got those cleared out and it's running as snappy as a 333 Mhz with 64 Mb ram can run.

jim

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 11:10:17 PM »
One of these days, I swear, I am going to learn to read...

Good work solving the problem, Jim147.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.