Author Topic: Animal Antics&  (Read 3015 times)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Animal Antics&
« on: January 11, 2006, 02:46:22 AM »
&Or the things I notice now that I've almost killed my TV:
I saw a stray cat use the crosswalk while people were jaywalking around it.
I saw a feral cat stalking a deer that was about 10 times its size.
I saw a hawk and a dove perched side-by-side on a power line.
I drove over a squirrel without killing it. It ran into the road too quickly for me to stop, and then froze in the middle of the street. I drove over it & watched it scamper away in my rearview mirror.
I saw a guy chasing off seagulls and cursing at them while they were in the sky. One pooped into his open mouth in the middle of his tirade.
Yesterday I saw a slug s..l..o..w..l..y lowering itself from the twig of a plant to the ground using a thread of slime from its tail. I didn't know slugs could do that.
I was just wondering if anyone else had seen critters that weren't pets doing unusual or interesting things?
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

SalukiFan

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 04:27:49 AM »
Hey LadySmith,

I once saw a feral dog use a train.  He got on at one stop, rode down two stops and got off at the stop he wanted to.  That really threw me for a loop...

-SalukiFan

DrAmazon

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 12:55:07 PM »
When I was writing my dissertation I forced myself to write between 7am and 1 pm every day.  Looking out my office window every morning for 3 months I realized that the critters in the neighborhood had definite schedules and routines.  Same two squirrels would scamper into the yard from the east, check out the yard, trees and shrubs in the same order, head across the street and do the same thing there.  Similar behavior with the neighborhood cats.
Experiment with a chemist!

Declaration Day

• friends
Animal Antics&
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 01:31:16 PM »
At my previous house, there was a squirrel who would purposely antagonize my dog.  He stood in one particular spot on a power line (or cable line, not sure which) and would do this little dance back and forth, as my dog stood below and barked incessantly.  This was every day.

We moved before I got the chance to buy a BB rifle and shoot the little bastard.

grampster

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 02:06:58 PM »
I had an runt Lab that used to pick up rocks in his mouth and try and throw them across a nearby crick.

A Schnauzer mix we had, hated the newspaper boy.  Once he was standing outside on a snowbank taking a dump when the newsboy came around and his insane barking and straining at his leash while pooping caused the turds to eject at a high velocity.  (You really needed to be there to appreciate that one.)  (9mm VS .45?)

Had an ole tomcat when I was a kid.  Watched him walk into a weedy field next door as a heinz 57 dog entered the field from the other side.  You could see the grass waiving as they proceeded, until they met.  Silence.  Then the most irrational screaming took place and the pooch exited the field at warp 3 with the end of his tail protruding past his lower jaw as he howled and screamed.  Cat strutted out of the field looking like he was Alexander the Great.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Animal Antics&
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 05:03:14 PM »
One of the strays my wife took in back in the mid '80's was this   h u g e   middle-aged yellow striped tabby that didn't seem to have lived in a domesticated situation for very much of his life.  He was noncommittal about the litter box, liked being outside for days at a time, and would always stroll home fatter than before he left.

We lived in married student housing duplexes, and down the street was this husband-wife ROTC pair that were SO proud of the 7 month old purebred German Shepherd adolescent that they got from her mom-- went on & on about the dog's amazing pedigree, straight from German bloodstock and 5 generations of big-boned champions.

Anyway, our tiger-striped saddle tramp named Spot was sunning himself out in the front yard the day they brought Big Adolph home.  He got out of the car, looked up the hill at Spot, and took off like an Exocet missile, homing in on Spot.  Spot continued to twitch his tail until Big Adolph got to within about 15 feet of him, when he hissed, raised ONE front paw, claws fully extended, and maintained his leisurely repose.  Big Adolph skidded to a stop about 4 feet from Spot, turned tail and ran yelping back to his new home, as fast as he could go.  Spot went right back to sunning himself, having never bothered to get up from his, um, spot in the grass.

It was the funniest affirmation of natural 'pecking order' I have ever witnessed.  Guess ya had to be there. rolleyes

grampster

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 06:09:55 PM »
Fig,
    Got a great visual on that.  Produced a heartfelt chuckle.  Cheesy
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Animal Antics&
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 07:56:50 PM »
One of my brother's female ferrets was stalked by a feral cat in a field.

Little Samia was REALLY small, a fraction over a pound.  Even for a female fert that's little.  She was romping around in the grass, chasing butterflies and whatnot at the local park, and this feral cat at least 10 times her size was very clearly on the hunt.  We just sat back watching and grinning because KNEW this was going to be a laugh riot.

Sure enough, kitty sneaks to about 4 feet out and starts it's final pounce.  Samia spots her and pounces right up to meet it Smiley.  Did I mention ferrets have NO fear whatsoever?

Ever see a cat turn around in midair?

Cheesy

Next scene, the cat is running balls-out with the skinnykitty hot on it's tail.  Cat leaps over a chain link fence without even touching the top, ferret goes straight through it without even slowing down Cheesy.  We go running after both and finally catch up with the little weasel.

One time Samia and her somewhat larger sister were charged at that same time by a big snarling mutt of a dog.  Not only did they go into full combat mode in response, snarling and jumping around at random, they spread out so as to outflank that thing!  Perfect tactics and teamwork...the dog freaked out and ran off.

Carpet sharks rock Cheesy.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Animal Antics&
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 08:50:05 PM »
Jim,

That was funny.  And yes, I have seen a cat do an airborne U-turn.  Apparently, they never studied physics.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Strings

Animal Antics&
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 10:16:31 PM »
heh... I remember my dad's tigercat running into a smal problem with fish in the bathtub...

Dad had caugh a couple good-sized fish, and had 'em swimming around in the bathtub (don't ask me why). Roughly a foot an a half of water. Tiger's standing on the edge of the tub, eyeing the fish when we walk out of the bathroom...

We hear a splash, and run in to check things out. It seems Tiger lost her footing and fell in. Funny thing about was, only about an inch of her paws was wet. She either landed on a fish and bouced there, or she used the surface tension of the water. And man, what an offended expression!

SalukiFan

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 05:47:29 AM »
Quote from: grampster
A Schnauzer mix we had, hated the newspaper boy.  Once he was standing outside on a snowbank taking a dump when the newsboy came around and his insane barking and straining at his leash while pooping caused the turds to eject at a high velocity.  (You really needed to be there to appreciate that one.)  (9mm VS .45?)
Cheesy  Another vote for 9mm.  Of course, placement is everything...

SalukiFan

griz

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 07:36:36 AM »
I saw a pair of foxes hunting a couple weeks ago. I was hunting too, (deer) so they didn't know I was there. One fox positioned itself on a small mound, which was the only high ground available. The other would charge around trying to scare something into giving away it's position. I had never seen that before, sure did enjoy it.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Art Eatman

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 06:02:27 AM »
My Terlingua computer is next to a front window of the living room.  I scatter grain in the front yard, and also put leftover food out there.  The yard is commonly full of doves and quail.  Chipmunks and rock squirrels come up, as well.  

The other day two foxes showed up to dine on leftovers.  They ignored the quail; the quail ignored the foxes.

Not long back, a big red-tailed hawk nailed a rock squirrel.  Before he could do the take-out thing and go home with supper, a falcon started dive-bombing him.  It was not until after some dozen passes that Big Red could take off and go home.

I guess the funniest was one day when a coyote wandered up, crossed the yard, and headed toward the clock-feeder where a dozen or so quail were feeding.  He made a few half-hearted steps toward the quail.  They stepped back a bit, and then formed a semi-circle and started walking toward him.  I could tell from their head motions that they were screaming their "Cheap junk!" call.  The coyote looked sorta puzzled, and turned and trotted off down my driveway.  The quail, honor satisfied, returned to the feeder.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Typhoon

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 02:02:13 PM »
Another hawk story -

I was hanging out on my balcony early one morning enjoying the sunshine when suddenly this red-tailed hawk swooped down and grabbed a pigeon that was grazing on the front lawn.  Go hawk!  (I HATE pigeons.  Flying rats...)

Immediately, some four or five crows started dive-bombing and harassing the poor hawk which was struggling under the weight (the hawk was a bit ambitious) to the point where the hawk had to take refuge under a car parked across the street.  The crows landed and surrounded the car, jeering at the hawk and effectively trapping it.  This went on for over a minute until finally, I saw the hawk flying away from the back of the car with the crows in pursuit.  

I couldn't tell for certain that the hawk succeeded in getting breakfast,  but it was flying fairly low and slow, so I believe it succeeded.  I hope so.  Did I mention that I hated pigeons?
To the stars!

DrAmazon

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 05:08:02 AM »
Yet another hawk story-

When I was in grad school at U. Pitt, there was a hawk that was taking rabbits off of the hillside next to the Chemistry building and flying to the wide windowsills of the physics  building across the street to enjoy its meal.    The school paper wound up doing a story on all of the people who glanced up from their desks in their offices for classrooms for a peek out the window and saw the hawk rippin' apart the rabbit.
Experiment with a chemist!

grislyatoms

• friends
Animal Antics&
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 07:05:51 AM »
Night time, @8:00, I was about 9 or 10 years old

Heard a weird racket out on the porch and went to investigate. Big old cicada-type bug banging around into the light, patio furniture, etc. Went into the house and came back with a can of bug spray. Bending down, aiming can.

HUGE black shadow with HUGE black wings swoops in front of me, grabs the bug, and is gone. I suspect it was an owl, he made absolutely no noise whatsoever. It took Grandad a while to calm me down!

Another time I was sitting in a restaurant (one of the ones that has a boat dock right next to the patio; folks pull up in their boats, tie up, and sit down at a table) eating dinner and along comes Mama duck with her babies walking around the patio. Mama duck jumps down into the water, PLOP!. One baby after another followed Mama, PLOP! PLOP! PLOP! PLOP!.

Tail end Charlie waddles to end of the dock and freezes in his tracks. That looks like a LONG way down to the water. PEEP! says tail end Charlie to Mama duck. Mama duck replies with an insistent QUACK!. Tail end Charlie becomes frantic, waddling this way and that and PEEPing his little lungs out. QUACK! QUACK! from Mama.

Tail end Charlie is beside himself now, and is close to panic. He is pacing back and forth along the dock, then suddenly stops. QUACK! once more from Mama. PLOP!

The entire restaurant erupted in applause, some folks moved to get up and give tail end Charlie a standing ovation. Tail end Charlie waggled his hind parts, took his place at the end of the line of ducklings, and swam off with Mama and his brothers and sisters.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

DJJ

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 07:45:56 AM »
Tail end Charlie reminds me... I was on a bridge replacement job way up in northeast New Mexico, about 10 miles west of the Oklahoma line. Getting to the site around dawn, I came around the last bend, and there was a (what I thought was) huge bull elk in the road. He stood there and watched me park, but when I got out, he took off at a trot and jumped over the right of way fence. Not long behind him came a cow, over one fence, across the road and over the other. Their calf, though, couldn't make it over the first fence. He would go back a ways, get a running start, then change his mind at the last second. He did that a dozen times, in between running back and forth along the fence. At first, he was making a chirping, whistling sound, trying to get Mom and Dad to wait for him, but they were hot-footing it away from me. I hid behind a road barricade and started imitating the calf's call. Eventually, I got Dad to come back to within about 200 yards, but he was still suspicious. Eventually, the calf went back the way they had come, and Dad caught up with Mom (almost out of sight by that time) and they were gone.

Old Fud

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 11:44:12 AM »
In Northern California, a tiny twisty-turny blacktop road parallels 101, and takes you through the giant redwood forests.  Girlfriend and I took that one Monday Morning on the way home from a weekend in Portland.

It was like we were the only people on the face of the earth.  

Came to a relatively straight stretch (they do exist), and spotted a doe peering out of the bushes about 70 yards ahead.  Coasted to a stop and killed the engine to see what she would do.

She had two fawns with her.  (Call them "Missy" and "Junior").  Mission was to cross the road.  She had seen us.   Came out on the shoulder to assess the risk.  Nose up, eyes wide, ears flicking.  Very pretty.  
Decided the car was probably unfriendly, but not a hazard, so "we" can go ahead but "we" shall not dawdle, people.

Crossing proceeded.  Mom made light of the steep embankment on the right and disappeared.  Missy was properly on station -- 5 O'clock, one pace, lockstepped.

JUNIOR, on the other hand, was't quite so compliant.   He stopped dead smack in the middle of the road, and proceeded with his own study and decision-making process.  Head cocked, more with the eyes and the ears.  Long time.

Suddenly, he jumped straight up about 4 feet, then scrambled VERY quickly up the embankment and into the woods same spot his mommy had taken.
I was too far away to hear anything, of course, but been-there-done-that often enough to know EXACTLY what his mother had yelled at him, and what kind of tongue-lashing he was being given.

That moment was the high point of the entire trip for both of us.

Fud
Change is Bad!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Animal Antics&
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 12:14:05 PM »
I actually saw a chicken cross the road once. There was a guy chasing it. So I believe I can answer the age old question of why DID the chicken cross the road.  

TO GET AWAY FROM THE GUY!!

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

middy

Animal Antics&
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 10:14:36 AM »
Little sister had a huge gray tabby cat when we were kids. He was a very easygoing and understanding kitty, and would just go limp and purr as she carried him draped over her arms. One day we were going for canoe rides (house was on a lake) and everyone had their lifejackets on, little sister carrying George as usual (only he wasn't quite so limp due to the proximity of deep water).

Of course, you remember being a child and suddenly getting an irresistable notion in your head? Sister came up with a plan to see what George would do when thrown off the dock and into the lake...

As she tossed him, George made the kind of Newton-defying twisting U-turn in midair that cats are known for. He sunk his claws into her life jacket, and Judo-twisted her off of the dock and into the lake (imparting unto her a little extra momentum as he used her mass as a launching point to propel himself back onto the dock). He landed gracefully; sister... not so much.

She didn't speak to George for several days.

Azrael256

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 11:38:10 AM »
My grandmother has a fox.  I don't know why, but she does.  Her little fox will walk up on the porch to dine on the regular feedings of dog food and table scraps.  Grandma sits behind the glass door in her easy chair and watches her fox.  I guess different things amuse different people.

Anyway, the point is that grandma has conducted an experiment of sorts.  She will sit and listen to music while she watches her fox.  It seems that the fox prefers Red Steagall music to Don Edwards.  Evidently Don Edwards is too nasal.  I was unaware that foxes were that discriminating in their musical tastes, but there you have it.

Fly320s

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2006, 01:20:59 PM »
Old Fud,

My sister-in-law has a house up in the mountains of Lake City, CO.  It's about a one hour drive South of Gunnison through very beautiful country.

My wife and I have been there a few times, and on every occassion we have passed hundreds of deer and elk grazing along the side of the road.  Many times, the deer are in the road licking the salt.  When we drive up, the deer usually just stand there with a very annoyed look on their faces.  Obviously the deer should have the right of way, at least they think so.

BTW, what is the word that means assigning human emotions to animals of inanimate objects?

Marnoot

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2006, 02:22:34 PM »
Quote from: Fly320s
BTW, what is the word that means assigning human emotions to animals of inanimate objects?
Anthropomorphism.

Fly320s

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 03:13:12 PM »
Thanks, 'noot.  I thought crosswords are suppose to increase one's brain power.  Bummer for me.

Old Fud

• friend
Animal Antics&
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 04:26:54 PM »
Ya wanna smile when you call somebody an Anthropomorphasist, Fly.

They might not understand it's a compliment.
Change is Bad!