Author Topic: Russian Stealth Fighter...  (Read 4480 times)

grey54956

Russian Stealth Fighter...
« on: January 29, 2010, 04:54:07 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584241,00.html

OH NOOOOOOOEZ!!!

Looks like the Russians are working on their own version of the F-22.  While the development appears to be going slowly, they are making progress. 

Any bets that they would hold off selling this thing to nations potentially hostile to the US.  I figure that they would do it in a heart beat to score some cash.

Godd thing we stopped production of the F-22 in favor of a untried, inferior, generalist aircraft, the F-35.

$#%@'n Washington Bureaucrats.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

brimic

• friends
Re: Russian Stealth Fighter...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »
Well since we have a Nobel Peace prize winning President, we won't need any superior aircraft for combat purposes. ;/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 05:56:35 PM »
If I couldn't design a better-looking aircraft than that, I'd quit.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

taurusowner

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 05:58:41 PM »
Can anyone else imagine this thing flying itself apart, or at very least, losing its stealth capabilities due to shoddy workmanship and inferior materials?  The Russians are great at building a lot of something, but quality has never been their strong point.  Stealth is something where quality is key.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 06:02:24 PM »
Well since we have a Nobel Peace prize winning President, we won't need any superior aircraft for combat purposes. ;/

F-22 is far superior to PAK-FA.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 06:11:11 PM »
It sounds like they are back where we were with the F-22 back in the mid-90's. 

The sleek twin-engined jet closely resembling the Raptor flew for 47-minutes from an airfield at Sukhoi's production plant in the Far Eastern city of Komsomolsk-on-Amur on Friday.
Makes me wonder if they had the plans for the F-22 in hand.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 06:13:40 PM »
Okay, hypothetical question time:  If two nukular powers both have stealth fighters and bombers in service, does that put the nuclear bomber back into the primary strike package for nuclear response?  I guess boomer subs are still the best response asset. 

Has anyone tried to stealth the missile warheads?  How stealthy are the cruise missiles?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 06:15:08 PM »
We have 186 that are fielded.

The Russians have 1 half-azzed prototype.

Not worried.

Also not worried if the Russians want to sell it.  It's such a high maintenance weapon system that Kerzplekistan could never keep it operational.  That, and the CIA would have a dozen RevDisks out there with sabotaged paint or off-spec bolts and such if it were really a problem.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 06:35:04 PM »
...the CIA would have a dozen RevDisks out there with sabotaged paint or off-spec bolts and such if it were really a problem.
LOL  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 06:49:18 PM »
It sounds like they are back where we were with the F-22 back in the mid-90's.  

Which is a good deal closer than they oughtta be.

grey54956

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 06:56:55 PM »
It may be a while yet, but the Russians will build it.  It will be 85%-90% as good as the F-22, 1/10-1/5 the price, incredibly uncomfortable for the pilot, but he's used to pulling a donkey cart after the donkey died so he won't care...

And they'll sell them to anybody and everybody.  And if the Russians, in their current state are working on a prototype, then the Chinese already have a prototype, and are well ahead of the game.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »
1/10-1/5 the price

The Russians estimate $100 million per unit. They'll be happy if they can have a few dozen.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 07:37:14 PM »
Just great. French suburbs surrounding their air shows are quaking in fear.

I promise not to duck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 08:28:07 PM »

Lot of hater-aid in a few posts here. The russians have fielded some very competent airframes. Their lacking has been original ideas since stealing our plan is so much easier and the advanced avionics that make things like the F-22 a game changer. Nor is their airforce obsolete. It of course suffers from lack of money and flight time, but rest assured, you give them a chance to kill Germans and those planes will be in the air. I don't think there are a lot of pilots in our air services that would be chomping at the bit to go up against good units of MiG-29s or SU-27s. They'd do it and fare okay, but probably not a one-sided turkey shoot like flying against Saddam's air farce was.

Just great. French suburbs surrounding their air shows are quaking in fear.

I know it's a joke, but our airshow suburb attack record isn't stellar, anyone remember the tail falling off the F-117 a few years back? The Blue Angels lose someone every few years too, sometimes at great pains to fly it into the ground to avoid ejecting and having a jet end up in the 'burbs. Military flying is a tough business. Heck, sometimes commercial is, the French bombed themselves with the Concorde a few years back also.

I think the telling thing is that this aircraft is being developed jointly with India, a player that actually has some money to dump into the project. Next up cue the asian arms race, China will have to steal some tech too.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 09:09:26 PM »
It may be a while yet, but the Russians will build it.  It will be 85%-90% as good as the F-22, 1/10-1/5 the price, incredibly uncomfortable for the pilot, but he's used to pulling a donkey cart after the donkey died so he won't care...

Why do the have to build it? It's a STEALTH PLANE....it's invisible to radar and detection....just build a couple to show off from time to time.....then tell everyone you have THOUSANDS of them....how are they gonna know?....  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 09:35:44 PM »
The Russians have been known to come up with some nasty surprises.

The MiG-25 Foxbat was one of those.  We at first panned its stainless steel construction and vacuum tube avionics, until the guys at the Foreign Technology Division gave Viktor Belenko's "donated" specimen the serious once-over with a fine-toothed comb.

Then it became glaringly obvious, combining ease of construction and strength against thermal stress vs. exotic titanium and honeycomb composites, and those little vacuum tubes?  They keep on ticking long after semiconductors succumb to EMP's licking.  The MiG-25 Foxbat was also able to supercruise, something Uncle Sam was only recently able to accomplish with production fighters.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:42:51 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

crt360

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 09:44:17 PM »
Why do the have to build it? It's a STEALTH PLANE....it's invisible to radar and detection....just build a couple to show off from time to time.....then tell everyone you have THOUSANDS of them....how are they gonna know?....  ;)

Exactly.  Comrade, we have hundreds already in operation.  They are most advanced.  We had to paint the one you see here so that it would show up for camera!   :laugh:
For entertainment purposes only.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 09:48:46 PM »
Next up cue the asian arms race, China will have to steal some tech too.

Actually, I was reading in the news this morning that Japan is develping a stealth fighter as well. They have a working scale model. I didn't know Japan could have stealth fighters, but I don't know what terms are of the treaties or whatever that they are under.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 12:00:56 AM »
Actually, I was reading in the news this morning that Japan is develping a stealth fighter as well. They have a working scale model. I didn't know Japan could have stealth fighters, but I don't know what terms are of the treaties or whatever that they are under.
I think they are OK so long as it turns into a humanoid robot.  =D
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 05:25:47 AM »
I think they are OK so long as it turns into a humanoid robot.  =D

No tentacles?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 06:54:58 AM »
The Russians have been known to come up with some nasty surprises.

The MiG-25 Foxbat was one of those.  We at first panned its stainless steel construction and vacuum tube avionics, until the guys at the Foreign Technology Division gave Viktor Belenko's "donated" specimen the serious once-over with a fine-toothed comb.

Then it became glaringly obvious, combining ease of construction and strength against thermal stress vs. exotic titanium and honeycomb composites, and those little vacuum tubes?  They keep on ticking long after semiconductors succumb to EMP's licking.  The MiG-25 Foxbat was also able to supercruise, something Uncle Sam was only recently able to accomplish with production fighters.

I thought the Foxbat was the plane we were all worried about and then after we got the prototype, we realized it wasn't near as capable as we thought and the F15 flew rings around it. 

One thing the Russians do normally do well is build powerful engines.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 06:57:13 AM »
Lot of hater-aid in a few posts here. The russians have fielded some very competent airframes. Their lacking has been original ideas since stealing our plan is so much easier and the advanced avionics that make things like the F-22 a game changer. Nor is their airforce obsolete. It of course suffers from lack of money and flight time, but rest assured, you give them a chance to kill Germans and those planes will be in the air. I don't think there are a lot of pilots in our air services that would be chomping at the bit to go up against good units of MiG-29s or SU-27s. They'd do it and fare okay, but probably not a one-sided turkey shoot like flying against Saddam's air farce was.

I thought Saddam did have some modern Russian fighters which we still dispatched with ease. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 07:18:30 AM »
Anybody who reads Russian military magazines or anything about their military is immediately confronted with a long range of articles written by officers and enlisted men whining about a lack of training hours, fuel, etc. I happen to own the memoirs of the guy who commanded tactical aviation during Chechnya II [I think], and about half the thing is him whining about the incompetence of everybody else and the lack of fuel, pilots, and craft.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 08:23:08 AM »
I thought Saddam did have some modern Russian fighters which we still dispatched with ease.
He did, but the guys in the cockpit were no match for ours. 

Biggest difference between their aircraft and ours is the quality of the guys in the seat.  We have the advantage over the Russians too.

I had a Ops Commander (Col Rodriquez) who flew F-15's during the 1st Gulf war.  His 2 ship shot one Mig 29 down and caused the other to drive it into the ground. 

Story below.

http://128.121.102.226/aakill.html#Rodriguez-1

19 Jan: Rodriguez. After Underhill shot the first MiG-29, both Rodriguez and Underhill had the remaining MiG-29 bracketed. In an attempt to dive into an escape window that had already closed, the Iraqi MiG-29 pilot attempted to execute a split-S from a starting altitude of about 2,000 feet. Rodriguez, who was the engaged low man, recognized the problem and took it upstairs; the MiG-29 attempted to follow through with the split-S and hit the desert floor.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 09:04:59 AM »
I distinctly remember and article about a MiG-25 or two that were found buried out in the desert.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!