Author Topic: Browser for new computer  (Read 1633 times)

wuluf

• friend
Browser for new computer
« on: January 30, 2010, 12:02:48 AM »
Our new Laptop arrives on Monday.  Please edumacate me on the pros and cons of IE8 vs Firefox vs Google Chrome.  I'm a computer user, not much of a geek.  Thanks, Rob

Regolith

• friend
Re: Browser for new computer
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 12:05:56 AM »
Firefox doesn't suck.

IE8 does.

Firefox = winnar.

=D

As for Chrome, I've not used it, so I don't know a whole lot about it.  When it came out I heard some rumblings about it not being very good when it comes to privacy, but I don't know much more than that.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:22:14 AM »
Chrome just came out with version 4, that includes extensions and themes.  It can be faster than Firefox.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 01:22:05 AM »
Chrome has no actual chromium content.  Firefox is 3.4% chromium by weight. 

Firefox is yes. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 07:01:34 AM »
I use Firefox on all my machines except for the netbook.  On that, I use Chrome to offset the lack of horsepower inherent in a netbook.

I only use IE when it's the only browser available or when I run into the odd site that doesn't support the others.

Chris

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 08:23:38 AM »
Firefox + ad block plus + no script = win!

hey chris, there is an IE tab "ad on" available also. It is nice if you prefer having tabs open to different windows.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 09:13:21 AM »
I know.  I've even used it before.  I didn't install it after I rebuilt the laptop last summer. It isn't a big deal to fire up IE when necessary.  I rarely need it.

Chris

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 10:02:03 AM »
I do about the same as mtnbkr.
Chrome on this little netbook and Firefox on all the desktops. I still have IE 8 on all of them in case I need it.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 10:13:38 AM »
 When it came out I heard some rumblings about it not being very good when it comes to privacy, but I don't know much more than that.

It comes from Google, so it'll be free, work pretty well, and our Internet Overlords can track your every thought while you use it.

I use Firefox on all my machines except for the netbook.  On that, I use Chrome to offset the lack of horsepower inherent in a netbook.

I just picked up a netbook (one of the emachines MaoMart had/has as an after Christmas special for US$228).  I'm running full out Ubuntu 9.10 (not "netbook remix").  Everything, including Firefox, runs pretty darn well for me.  For reasons of screen space I disabled all toolbars except the navigation bar.

Your Mileage May Vary.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:18:06 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 02:22:08 PM »
Chrome first.
Firefox second.
IE8 dead last, for use only with those webpages that are so backwards that they don't work with real browsers.

I've been giving Chrome another shot now that it supports plugins (notably "google mail checker plus" and "adblock" and "portable password generator" ).  I think I'll be retiring firefox as my normal browser.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
Computer's coming today, any other opinions?????

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 05:03:32 PM »
Lynx.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 05:52:05 PM »
Firefox, Chrome, IE8.

I've never really noticed a slowdown on my netbook with Firefox versus Chrome, but I reckon it depends on the config. Anyways, just note which place IE comes in everyone's comments. You can probably install both FF and Chrome, see how they each run, then keep the one you like. Neither of them are that big.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 07:22:22 PM »
Firefox
Chrome
Internet Exploder 8

I also make sure to uninstall the ever helpful Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.1.

I had to convince the wife to move to Firefox.  She was resistant until some malware got her laptop and I had to rebuild the OS.  She now loves Firefox.  =D
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.