Author Topic: Weird plumbing noise, warm hallway tiles?  (Read 4495 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Weird plumbing noise, warm hallway tiles?
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
I have a Grundfos recirculation pump on my hot water heater.

I've just now unplugged it.

I hear a "whooshing" noise, like the sound pipes typically make when water runs through them.

I don't have any faucets turned on, though.

My house was built in 1977 and is slab construction.  To my knowledge, no pipes are run through the slab and they are all located in the attic.

Down my hallway, I have 3 hallway tiles that are extremely warm.

No moisture apparent from broken pipes or anything like that.  No lack of hot water; I can take a long shower with no problems.

Even with the recirc pump unplugged, the warm tiles are still warm and the whoosh noise is still going on.

Why?   ???

Even when plugged in, it was only set to go on a handful of times a day, for only 15 minutes.

I've even gone to the far end of the hot water line and turned off the hot water feed, which disables the hot/cold bridge that makes the recirc pump able to work.

So:
-Pump has no power
-Bridge is disabled.

I still have:
-Warm floor tiles
-whooshing sound of running water, but no faucets on and no wet walls anywhere and no water leaking out my foundation.

What the heck is up with my house?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Torchman

Re: Weird plumbing noise, warm hallway tiles?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:49:11 PM »
Perhaps your main waterline coming INTO the house?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »
I think the first thing I would do is take a look at the water meter and make sure it's not spinning around.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 01:13:51 PM »
Water meter at front of house is spinning.

I turned off the main and came back inside, drained the pipes.

Sound went away.

Evidently I have a leak somewhere in my hot system, but I can't see any leaks in the walls or around the foundation of the house.

And why the heck are my floor tiles hot? [tinfoil]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 01:16:57 PM »
Perhaps your main waterline coming INTO the house?
That would be making the tiles cold.  I know he's in AZ, but it is February.  The water there does get fairly cold in the winter time.

Are you sure there's not a radiant floor heating system?
Formerly sumpnz

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 01:18:07 PM »
Its hot because you have a leek on the hot side. Its just pissing into the gravel under the slab.
Time to get out the sledge and do some exploratory surgery.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 01:23:04 PM »
Its hot because you have a leek on the hot side. Its just pissing into the gravel under the slab.
Time to get out the sledge and do some exploratory surgery.

This would be my guess as well.

What an odd situation.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 01:33:36 PM »
+1 for home warranties.

$49 and I don't have to worry about it.

Best $349 I'll probably ever have spent.

Main line is off, plumbing company coming in this afternoon to assess.

Probably leaking at a rate of 1 gallon per hour, looking at the front line's meter.  $#!+.  I don't see how that is warming the slab to where I can feel it though... that slow of a leak shouldn't have an effect on temp.

--Lysander Spooner

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 01:58:35 PM »
Probably leaking at a rate of 1 gallon per hour, looking at the front line's meter.  $#!+.  I don't see how that is warming the slab to where I can feel it though... that slow of a leak shouldn't have an effect on temp.

Soil is quite a good insulator.  If it's been leaking for a while it will, indeed, cause a hot spot in a slab.  Just how warm is dictated by location, conditions, etc.

Check and see if you have someone in your area that specializes in leak detection.  The ones around here are pretty good at diagnosing and pinpointing hard-to-find leaks.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »
a stethescope can come in handy.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »
Well, plumber is gonna do a pipe-otomy.

Run fresh pipe through the attic and cut the pipe under the slab.  Gonna cost me a pretty penny though.  Bummer.
--Lysander Spooner

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 05:46:54 PM »
Also don't rule out some sort of localized fission reaction, any nuclear waste dumps in the area?  :O
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 05:47:33 PM »
I don't see how that is warming the slab to where I can feel it though...
Leak in the drain/sewer pipe?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 08:05:35 PM »
Water meter at front of house is spinning.

I turned off the main and came back inside, drained the pipes.

Sound went away.

Evidently I have a leak somewhere in my hot system, but I can't see any leaks in the walls or around the foundation of the house.

There are usually two hot water systems in a house. One is for "hot water" -- the stuff you use when washing dishes or taking a shower. The other is for "heat." The stuff you get from the faucets and shower is "potable" hot water and that system is separate from the heating system (if you have hot water heat rather than air) so the drinking water won't be contaminated by "stuff" from the boiler.

I have no idea what kind of system may be in your house, but it sounds like the house may have a radiant heated floor slab, which would mean a network of heating water pipes in the slab. It may be that one of those has spring a leak.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 08:20:36 PM »
There are usually two hot water systems in a house. One is for "hot water" -- the stuff you use when washing dishes or taking a shower. The other is for "heat." The stuff you get from the faucets and shower is "potable" hot water and that system is separate from the heating system (if you have hot water heat rather than air) so the drinking water won't be contaminated by "stuff" from the boiler.

???

Looking around my place for that elusive second hot water circuit...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 08:45:28 PM »

Sure it's not measuring cubic feet?  That's about 7 gallons.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 10:13:43 PM »
Can we come watch when your house falls into the sinkhole the leak made?   >:D
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 11:05:43 PM »
A small leak will put out a lot of water.

The house in Lubbock we sold had recently had a foundation leak. Hot water side. They guessed the hole to be about half the size of a pencil lead. Over a 36 hour period it warmed about a 24 square foot area of the floor.

We did the trench-less repair. That's where they open the ends of the pipe at the manifolds and inject the epoxy stuff into the pipe. Works like a champ. No breaking any concrete and no running lines in the walls and attic.

$4k for the hot side. Insurance covered about 3/4 of it due to the 2 month old laminate that the leak was under.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 11:11:56 PM »
Plumber said it was no big deal.

He said that a "hot slab" leak is nothing to worry about once the problem is diagnosed and the hot water is turned off.

It will be a few days until I have it fixed, but he's just gonna bypass that set of pipes and run a new line through the attic.  Until then, I can turn on the hot water for showers and other uses, but I just have to turn it back off once done with it.
--Lysander Spooner

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 11:28:16 PM »
"Nothing to worry about"

He's not the one with molemen digging up from near the earths core under his house. :O

jim

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »
Or a cataclysmic volcano eruption.  But as HTG has taught us, these are not worth worrying about.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 12:00:19 AM »
Red,

Been puzzling about this one.  Where is your hot water heater and is it in an interior space?  If it is interior, where has the TPC valve been plumbed to?  Is there any chance the heater is in an inside room and vented through the slab?  If so, and the TPC valve is defective it could be letting hot water escape through the in-slab vent line.  It would only heat a limited area before it cooled.

Just thinking?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 12:42:45 AM by Grandpa Shooter »

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 12:20:34 AM »
That is a good thought Grandpa Shooter. I see so few that are plumbed at all. Just waiting to leak all over the place or burn somebody that walks by and pulls on the little lever. :mad:

jim

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 07:10:03 AM »
Hah, I know a former sub sailor that thought that because he was on a sub at one time he could pipe his own boiler. Besides the fact that his piping was all wrong he left himself as couple extra branches on borth sides with ball valves and no plug/cap etc on them. I told him I thought he should oughta do something about that and I got the "Yea, sure, whatever you say buddy." look from him.  ;/

Interesting because I just passed on a job similar to this. Two story condo though, I truly had no idea how to deal with it so I'm learning here. We normally have basements so it was the first time I had ever run into such a thing. I told them they needed someone who had more experience with that particular problem. Would my only choice have been to run up TWO floors to the attic? Somehow I knew chopping up concrete to find where the leak is was not the answer.

Plus it became obvious that this problem had existed for a while and they WERE getting a warm floor out in the middle of the living room, so I have to wonder how much it is undermined.  ???

They discovered it when they pulled up the glued carpet pad and the water started oozing out the crack it was covering.  =|

Avoid cliches like the plague!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 09:36:15 AM »
Red,

Been puzzling about this one.  Where is your hot water heater and is it in an interior space?  If it is interior, where has the TPC valve been plumbed to?  Is there any chance the heater is in an inside room and vented through the slab?  If so, and the TPC valve is defective it could be letting hot water escape through the in-slab vent line.  It would only heat a limited area before it cooled.

Just thinking?

TPC valve?  What's that?

The heater is in my laundry/utility room on the far west side of my house.  If the TPC valve is the copper one in the center with the funny lever on it, it vents outside.

The heater is probably 40 feet away from the warm tiles.
--Lysander Spooner