Author Topic: Valentine's day  (Read 6655 times)

zahc

• friend
Valentine's day
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:16:12 PM »
It's coming up on February 14th. I haven't decided what I'm going to do for DW except get her a potted plant. Let us all discuss our Valentine's day plan so that I can steal ideas from more creative people.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Valentine's day
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »
Ugh...

There is a potential budding relationship taking place in my life right now. We've been out once, with a group this last weekend and decided to get together next weekend.

I never even considered how close to VDay it was, drat...hopefully it will be obvious to me how to handle this after next weekend!

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:11:35 PM »
Ron, I think the rules of etiquette say that the appropriate gift for the first Valentine's Day is fresh rutabaga.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:18:07 PM »
Ugh...

There is a potential budding relationship taking place in my life right now. We've been out once, with a group this last weekend and decided to get together next weekend.

I never even considered how close to VDay it was, drat...hopefully it will be obvious to me how to handle this after next weekend!

Do the honorable thing.  Hide from her until after V Day is over.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:24:52 PM »
Ron, I think the rules of etiquette say that the appropriate gift for the first Valentine's Day is fresh rutabaga.

Well I screwed up. The first Valentine's gift I gave my wife, we had just started dating, was a pistol.  =D

She could even out shoot me then with a pistol. I was a rifle and a bow guy then.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:28:19 PM »

Oh. Gotta be fresh, hunh?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

taurusowner

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 12:50:26 AM »
Well I'm going to get really really drunk by myself in my apartment. Probably around 11 am.  Then I'm going to watch Generation Kill, order a pizza, and play xbox all day while drinking some more until I fall back asleep.  Somehow I doubt your girlfriend would appreciate you using my plan though.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 01:28:11 AM »
Do the honorable thing.  Hide from her until after V Day is over.

I thought the honorable thing was to dump her...... >:D >:D >:D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 02:00:43 AM »
Zardoz. I can think of nothing more stimulating than luring one's paramour to a television screen on the hint of a romantic film and playing Zardoz instead.

If she hasn't left you by the end of the movie, tell her you dig roleplay and would like her to make you an exterminator costume.

If she still hasn't left you, you have found someone very intriguing and probably thoroughly insane. Handle with care.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 03:19:45 AM »
Ugh...

Whatever else you do, get her a gift.  I don't think there's a woman alive who's said the words "I really wish he hadn't gotten me anything for Valentine's Day."  Go for something small, preferably something that links up to a conversation you've had before.  $20-30 max.  Much more says you're trying too hard, too much less says you weren't trying at all.

As for me, I manage a sex store, so it's by far our busiest day of the year.  I'll be on the floor all night (every night, Fri-Sun).  Honestly, we make more on Valentine's Day than we do in our best week any other time of the year.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 05:40:06 AM »
Whatever else you do, get her a gift.  I don't think there's a woman alive who's said the words "I really wish he hadn't gotten me anything for Valentine's Day."  Go for something small, preferably something that links up to a conversation you've had before.  $20-30 max.  Much more says you're trying too hard, too much less says you weren't trying at all.

Heck, a box of ammunition won't even be too hard to wrap or require a huge roll of wrapping paper.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 08:05:41 AM »
Taking her to see Grease, the musical, in DC on the 9th.  Go to a decent dinner on the way out. 
I'm sure flowers will arrive at the house at some point.  Probably make her favorite dinner at some point between now and then.
Probably spending the actual occasion of Vday in VaBeach watching my nieces so my BIL and his wife can go out, considering he just got back from Afghanistan and Vday is his birthday.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 08:26:13 AM »
I haven't decided what I'm going to do for DW except get her a potted plant.
There is a potential budding relationship

I have found dark chocolate works nicely for the things Valentine's Day is supposedly about.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 08:56:45 AM »
  I don't think there's a woman alive who's said the words "I really wish he hadn't gotten me anything for Valentine's Day."

Hi, I'm Sara.  Nice to meetcha.  =)

But that was when there was a shared budget and it was very tight, and before we'd worked out arrangements for handling the budgetary delicacies of gift-giving.  I'll allow that something small is usually appropriate.

Ron--build her an igloo.  =D
That's probably right up there with "box of ammo" for figuring out if she's a keeper.  :lol: 

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 09:08:16 AM »
Sorry for hijacking your thread zach!

Not enough snow for an igloo BW, if there was, she would be totally on board with helping build one I'm sure!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 09:09:01 AM »
valentines day is the one day out of the year that i don't mind being single.

it's so far removed from what it actually is, i'm actually sitting here unsuccessfully trying to remember what valentines day originally was. i'm guessing it had something to do with St. Valentine, but other than that...  ???

tmm

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 09:31:27 AM »
Didn't St. Valentine lure all of the rats to the river by playing the flute and having them follow him?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »
Just another "Hallmark Holiday".
My wife and I pretty much feel tha same way about it. We do bow to tradition just a little and will exchange cards and share a Whitman sampler.
This plan has worked well for probably the last 25 years of our 28 years of marriage.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 10:45:47 AM »
I do the classic dozen roses, usually yellow, since Ms. MillCreek likes those over red.  She doesn't like candy, so I don't do that.  We usually go out to dinner.  Pajamagram.com can be fun. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 11:03:04 AM »
Chocolate and a card................you can't go wrong with those..........chris3

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 11:06:17 AM »
My wife's Mom abandoned the family on Valentine's Day, so it's never really been something we celebrate.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 11:07:51 AM »
Ugh, it's a holiday I don't really recognize.

Usually, I get my wife some nice chocolates and (maybe) a card.  But, we're both on a diet, and chocolates have a metric ton of calories in em, so that's out.  I'll probably just cook a really nice dinner, and maybe get a halfway decent bottle of Riesling.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 11:09:58 AM »
I found this mysterious Victoria's secret charge on one of the credit cards.  I'm thinking its fraudelent and I should dispute it....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 12:17:43 PM »
<snip>
As for me, I manage a sex store, so it's by far our busiest day of the year.  I'll be on the floor all night (every night, Fri-Sun).  Honestly, we make more on Valentine's Day than we do in our best week any other time of the year.

Um, er, ah, what exactly is it that you do whilst on the floor?

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »
Feb 14 = Independence Day!

At least until I find that special somebody.

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.