Author Topic: Network Message Program  (Read 574 times)

Jim147

• friends
Network Message Program
« on: February 02, 2010, 12:38:37 AM »
My mind is going a little blank. Not the first time I know. But I haven't had to worry about setting up a real network in a few years.

I'm looking for a program that I can send messages to and from my home network only and will sigh itself in by computer not user.

i.e I leave this netbook turned on in the kitchen when I go to work in the shop. My wife can just type in a message and it will pop up on my shop computer.

All of the systems that this would be used on are running XP or Win 7. I'll worry about my Debian system later if I need to.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

jim

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Re: Network Message Program
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 06:28:27 AM »
Pidgin
Also strongly recommend grabbing pidgin-otr at the same time.

If you want completely local chat without a megacorp intermediary, on windows you'll need bonjour too... download link is small, top of the right column.  Like all Apple software, be careful when you install it that you don't get roped into installing other junk like Safari.

Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Jim147

• friends
Re: Network Message Program
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:14:59 AM »
Thanks I'm looking at those now.

Winpopup was the program my mind went blank on last night. A lan messaging program is what I'm looking for.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG