Author Topic: Looking for dog advice  (Read 4959 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Looking for dog advice
« on: February 05, 2010, 05:16:51 PM »
When I pick up or drop of my little brother I am having some dog trouble. They got for free from a friend a dachshund (wiener dog).  That dog has it out for me.  It always barks and growls at me, but starting last week he took it up a notch.  The little monster starting trying to nip at my legs.  He apparently does this to every male visitor, I'm not sure if he is being protective or what.  I've been trying the standard of give him treats and let him sniff my hand to see I'm ok tricks but it obviously not doing enough.

I talked to his mom about it and she is trying to control the dog but I doubt her ability to do anything with it.

Any suggestions?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Looking for dog advice
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 05:23:05 PM »
Roll him onto his back forcefully and hold him there with firm (but not painful) pressure to his neck.

Show him you are alpha.

He's just a dachshund, so you're not likely to actually get hurt doing that.

Wouldn't suggest it for a german shepherd that doesn't like you, but for little dogs it works well.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:29:39 PM »
If treats don't work maybe he likes steak.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 05:30:17 PM »
That's a good idea.  He is not exactly the most intimidating dog in the world...  =D  I just would rather not get bitten or have my pants ripped.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 05:33:38 PM »
Water gun.  Give the dog a quick squirt in the face.  It'll start steering clear of you in short order.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 05:58:47 PM »
sprinkle cayenne on your lower pants leg and shoes
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 06:44:43 PM »
whats your posture and voice like?

modulate your voice, quiet and very kind, try and modulate the timber you have as a guy.

posture, lean back not forward or over. if you crouch, straight down, not bend over.

best one: sit down on the floor and don't make eye contact. let him bark and carry on and just ignor him. keep in mind the first two tips and give it time. eventually he'll crawl into your lap. especially if you keep on with the treats. especially if they are really good treats (veinna sasages -get low sodium, or something else that really smells tasty to dog noses)
repeat every time until he comes to you happy instead of gaurd dog.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

mejeepnut

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
whats your posture and voice like?

modulate your voice, quiet and very kind, try and modulate the timber you have as a guy.

posture, lean back not forward or over. if you crouch, straight down, not bend over.

best one: sit down on the floor and don't make eye contact. let him bark and carry on and just ignor him. keep in mind the first two tips and give it time. eventually he'll crawl into your lap. especially if you keep on with the treats. especially if they are really good treats (veinna sasages -get low sodium, or something else that really smells tasty to dog noses)
repeat every time until he comes to you happy instead of gaurd dog.

This is letting the dog know it is boss,wrong!
Like was already said,grab the dog and put it on it's back or side and grab it by the loose skin of the neck and make it look in your eyes for a bit,once it stops fighting you and submits make sure you hold it for another few minutes.You may also have to grab both its front paws in your other hand to keep it from clawing you.If it's rear legs come into action then use the weight of a leg for that but not all your weight for such a small dog.I have used this on a rottwieler and a few wolf/samoyed crosses.Only dogs I would not try this with are chows and pitbulls,just shoot them at the first sign of a problem!People rule,not dogs.If your kid is there then you trump anything in that house!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 07:50:23 PM »
Ah yes, the old Alpha roll advice ;/ Done properly it might work with your own dog, but much more often it results in a dog bite and makes the problem worse.

If you only see this dog for a few minutes a day there really isn't much you can do as you're not part of it's pack. The problem lies with the training (or lack thereof) by the dog's family members. They will likely need a pro trainers help, and it will take work, but it can be done. If they are not willing to fix this, they need to increase their homeowners/renters liability insurance.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/territorial-aggression-toward-people/page1.aspx

http://leerburg.com/aggresiv.htm

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »

This is letting the dog know it is boss,wrong!
Like was already said,grab the dog and put it on it's back or side and grab it by the loose skin of the neck and make it look in your eyes for a bit,once it stops fighting you and submits make sure you hold it for another few minutes.You may also have to grab both its front paws in your other hand to keep it from clawing you.If it's rear legs come into action then use the weight of a leg for that but not all your weight for such a small dog.I have used this on a rottwieler and a few wolf/samoyed crosses.Only dogs I would not try this with are chows and pitbulls,just shoot them at the first sign of a problem!People rule,not dogs.If your kid is there then you trump anything in that house!

do you spend everyday with dogs? do you make a living working with dogs? does your having coustomers depend on people seeing there dogs like you becuase your nice to them?

the dachsand is doing one of two things. it either wants to make him jump and act scared or two (more likely) its scared of him and feels threatened.

so the correct responce is to NOT jump and elevate his responce and at the same time refrain from threatening him.

BTW, i know dogs and handle dogs that would rip you to shreds for your 'method'. good for you on being mister manly man, and do write us up a thread when you get ripped to shreds for being such a 'great' dog handler.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
i had a friends dog that hated me for a while. it puzzled us since i'm a card carrying "dog nut"  the guy with the heated dog house ceiling fan in the kennel run who special ordered lumber to build a handicapped ramp at my house for someone elses dog.   it turns out he'd been jacked around by some long haired men and he saw me as another one.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 08:16:07 PM »
i had a friends dog that hated me for a while. it puzzled us since i'm a card carrying "dog nut"  the guy with the heated dog house ceiling fan in the kennel run who special ordered lumber to build a handicapped ramp at my house for someone elses dog.   it turns out he'd been jacked around by some long haired men and he saw me as another one.

dad has this kinda thing happen a lot. he has a loud, deep voice and he has a very forward posture. the dogs just don't relieze that they can get whatever they want out of him (he is a sucker for anything with four legs and a tail) and get freeked out. it kinda upsets dad cause he just wants to be friends.

mejeepnut

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 08:30:10 PM »
do you spend everyday with dogs? do you make a living working with dogs? does your having coustomers depend on people seeing there dogs like you becuase your nice to them?

the dachsand is doing one of two things. it either wants to make him jump and act scared or two (more likely) its scared of him and feels threatened.

so the correct responce is to NOT jump and elevate his responce and at the same time refrain from threatening him.

BTW, i know dogs and handle dogs that would rip you to shreds for your 'method'. good for you on being mister manly man, and do write us up a thread when you get ripped to shreds for being such a 'great' dog handler.

Had a little incedent with a collie when I was a kid,would not say I got ripped the shreds but I got torn up pretty good.But since I decided I rule over dogs I have only had blood drawn a few times,mostly when playing.I have also seen a few women who can put an alfa male sled dog in there place and then some.When these women are in there town clothes they look real nice,would you sarcasticly call them manly men also?

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 08:47:07 PM »
 [popcorn]

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »

Had a little incedent with a collie when I was a kid,would not say I got ripped the shreds but I got torn up pretty good.But since I decided I rule over dogs I have only had blood drawn a few times,mostly when playing.I have also seen a few women who can put an alfa male sled dog in there place and then some.When these women are in there town clothes they look real nice,would you sarcasticly call them manly men also?

oh i can wreastle down a ticked off canine as good as the rest of them (i can also blow my boyfriends mind when i decede to put on a short skirt and high heels, but that's beside the point)

however, being able to physically restrain an alpha dog (for the record alpha bitches are just as, if not, nastier) is not the same as having a dog going from distrusting you, to trusting you.

can i dominate a dog? yes, i can. but that is strenous and doesn't solve the issue. i have even physically restrained multiple pit bulls and chows.

however, i consider it more valuble to gain a dogs trust, loyalty and respect. and nine times out of ten, respect is gained not through domination, but through patients.

and yes, i don't care how much they can pretty themselves up, i would still sarcastically call them manly men.  ;/

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 08:49:41 PM »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 09:09:20 PM »
Option B is always the swift kick.... >:D
Not hard enough to hurt, of course.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 09:13:40 PM »
Option B is always the swift kick.... >:D
Not hard enough to hurt, of course.

dachshounds are bred to go after badgers. a short stumpy creature with attitude issues... how tall are you again?  >:D

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 09:19:53 PM »
Any suggestions?

Buy some cheap hot dogs.  Toss him a half hot dog every time you see him, for a while.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 09:20:22 PM »
dachshounds are bred to go after badgers.

So, we should send El T in after him?   :-*
Formerly sumpnz

mejeepnut

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 09:21:03 PM »
oh i can wreastle down a ticked off canine as good as the rest of them (i can also blow my boyfriends mind when i decede to put on a short skirt and high heels, but that's beside the point)

So,are you male or female,you didn't say.......

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 09:25:02 PM »
So,are you male or female,you didn't say.......

does it matter?

your the one that asked if i would call those women that look so nice in their 'town cloths' manly men... i told you i would.

mejeepnut

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 09:26:02 PM »
True,very true!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 09:31:46 PM »
 [popcorn]

I'm in the display dominance crowd. However, reaching down to a dog with dominance issues and wrestling it onto it's back is ill advised and a good way to go for a ride to the ER to get patched up.

Ignore the dog, if he nips give him a nudge. If he does it again give a harder nudge. He will quickly get the idea with consistency. Unfortunately there's not much you can do as you aren't his owner and you can't consistently keep the dog submitted. If you could, there are several techniques to use but they require you to be consistent and are part of a larger overall package to establish pack pecking order.

As you are a visitor my advice is to ignore the dog as best as possible, give in to no displays of dominance (this includes violation of personal space), and quickly and decisively respond to any displays. It nips, give it a good whack right back with your foot. Don't hurt the dog by any means, but enough to match his display and let him know to back off. If he attempts to invade your personal space give him a nudge back and out of your space. Fairly effective and much less likely to injure then flipping him onto his back and outright displaying your dominance over him. Even many experienced dog handlers will muzzle a dog before submitting it in such a way.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 09:37:47 PM »
to answer your question. yes i am female and one of the two prominate female posters on this board.

i also work for a boarding and grooming kennel, as well on my bosses farm where they breed anatolian sheperd dogs both was working dogs and for showing. their dog Hoja was last years BOB at westminster.

the kennel is well known in town as the only place that accepts pit bulls, agressive animals and other problem children that no other joint in town will touch.

i spend my days taking care of lots of diffrent dogs and many times doing things they DON'T want done. most of my job involves a lot of stress over the issue of how do i get something (like nails) done without getting hurt and without hurting the dog. which means understanding dogs and training them is more important then domination.

for us domination is a last ditch attempt, primarly because while it may work in the short term, it doesn't solve anything in the long run. especially when your dealing with animals that are really just defending themselves. in fact, that type of approch usually makes it worse.

i assume that magsub is going to have to deal with this dachshound long term, not short term. which is why i advise him to make friends with the dog and earn its trust, rather then push the dog around, which will only increase its tendancy to behave like that around strange men.

by ignoring the bad behavior and not pressing your self on it, while at the same time being approchable, the dog can feel safe while learning to accept him.