Author Topic: 9 Year old boy busted for bringing in 2 inch gun, for lego figure, to school  (Read 2484 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/education/2010/02/04/2010-02-04_big_trouble_over_this_tiny_toy_mom_fuming_at_a_lack_of_common_sense_as_son_buste.html

Laura Timoney fumes after son Patrick, 9, is busted for bringing 2-inch-long toy gun to PS 52

BY Matthew Lysiak, Kate Nocera and Larry Mcshane
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Originally Published:Wednesday, February 3rd 2010, 10:06 PM
Updated: Thursday, February 4th 2010, 7:10 PM

An irate Staten Island mom blasted a grade school principal Wednesday for treating her son like a pint-sized Plaxico Burress after he brought a 2-inch-long toy gun to school.

"This principal is a bully and a coward, and needs to be held accountable," said Laura Timoney, 44, after her teary fourth-grader was nearly suspended for playing with the tiny toy at lunch.

"The school should be embarrassed. This is a common-sense issue."

Patrick Timoney, 9, was terrified when he was yanked into the principal's office to discuss the teeny-weeny plastic "weapon."

"The gun was so little," the boy said. "I don't understand why the principal got so upset. I was a little nervous. They made me sign a statement."

Patrick and a friend were playing with Lego figures in the school cafeteria on Tuesday when he pulled out the faux machine gun and stuck it in the hands of his plastic police officer.

Boom! Trouble ensued, with Patrick's mom getting a phone call from Public School 52 Principal Evelyn Mastroianni saying her son had somehow gone from straight A's to the NRA.

"I was in disbelief," the still-fuming mother said. "Why didn't anyone step up with an ounce of common sense and put an end to the harassment of my child?"

Timoney said her boy loved the toy figure because her husband is a retired police officer.

The elder Patrick Timoney, a former 72nd Precinct cop, couldn't believe his son was nearly busted over something so obviously inauthentic.

"It's a 2-inch gun," he said. "She went overboard. She should have said, 'Put the toys away,' and that would have been the end of it."

After a meeting between the principal and the parents, the boy was spared any disciplinary action. City school officials said Patrick agreed to leave the "gun" at home.

"I'm never bringing a toy to school again," said Patrick, whose favorite subject is math.

Laura Timoney remained upset. Her son, a typically eager student, asked to stay home yesterday because he thought the principal was mad at him.

The mother said she expects an apology and may sue.

"The toy gun is not the issue," she said. "A lack of common sense is the issue."

Several parents at the school felt the principal overreacted, including Kim O'Rieley - whose son was playing with Patrick in the cafeteria.

Her boy's Lego man was toting a tiny ax, which the principal deemed less threatening.

"It's ridiculous," said O'Rieley, 36. "He felt so bad for his friend. They're taking things way too far ... No one is saying guns are okay.

"Come on, it's a Lego."

mlysiak@nydailynews.com

With Rachel Monahan

Again another example of common sense having left our public education.  This is so ridiculous that the Principal should be ridden out on a rail but I know that will not happen.  The article has a picture of the "gun".  I weep for our country especially for the younger generation.  =( 
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MicroBalrog

• friend
"This principal is a bully and a coward, and needs to be held accountable."

Word.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

freakazoid

• friend
The lego guy that he put the evil gun in was a cop, which is why he liked that one so much because his dad was a cop too. There is a clip from NBC here, http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m2d5-Zero-tolerance-doctrine-shares-hysteria-of-antigun-movement
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

InfidelSerf

• friend
Come on guys it's obvious he was being punished for violating the laws of SCALE
And the lego man was being punished for mishandling his over scaled firearm.
I mean really who holds a weapon of that weight by the scope.
It would obviously cause damage to the mount and throw off it's accuracy.
Geesh.  The principle is the one exercising common sense here.
The father of the boy should know better too.

;)
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Need it be said again...  HOMESCHOOL!!!  Take away their money and they will scream like a cheap prostitute. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
[sarcam]Kid needs to carry a letter with large letters on it - preferably in crayon - saying "FULL PARDON."

After all, if a little bit of plastic is a weapon, then scrawled words in crayon on notebook paper should qualify as a pardon, right? [/sarcasm]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 03:38:29 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
another example of no tolerance type rules and how retarded they really are.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis

That statement is the only part of this whole event that makes any sense.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.

....preferably by his ankle from a tall bridge...  :mad:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
....preferably by his her ankle from a tall bridge...  :mad:

FIFY
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Need it be said again...  HOMESCHOOL!!!  Take away their money and they will scream like a cheap prostitute. 

How?  Are home-schools exempt from property tax or do they get a credit or something similar?

I don't know, just curious.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
"The gun was so little," the boy said. "I don't understand why the principal got so upset. I was a little nervous. They made me sign a statement."

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

sanglant

• friend
How?  Are home-schools exempt from property tax or do they get a credit or something similar?

I don't know, just curious.
schools are funded by headcount >:D but the .gov still gets the money [tinfoil]

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?

I'll forgive him because, well, he's nine.

On that topic I don't know how making him 'sign a statement' can mean anything.  Not only is he not of an age to sign a contract, any decent lawyer could argue that a nine year old didn't understand what he was signing, and the importance of understanding what he's signing, the whole reason why minors need guardians to protect their interests when it comes to contracts and such.