Author Topic: The Green Police  (Read 16459 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
The Green Police
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:45:27 PM »
Okay, am I the only one annoyed by the "Green Police" commercial that Audi had during teh Souper Bowel?

At first, I though they were making fun of the everything green sentiment that's all the rage right now.  I was impressed with their bravery.  I laughed at their wit.  Then I realized they were serious.   :facepalm:

I do believe I'll never buy an Audi.  Just because of this commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq58zS4_jvM

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

crt360

• friend
Re: The Green Police
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 11:52:30 PM »
I thought it was funny.  I think they did, too.
For entertainment purposes only.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 12:07:41 AM »
I do believe I'll never buy an Audi.  Just because of this commercial.
You're not the only one.
Formerly sumpnz

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 12:17:22 AM »
Did it occur to anyone that it was a bad idea for a German car company to adopt the name of a nazi police organization for their commercial?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 12:27:24 AM »
Did it occur to anyone that it was a bad idea for a German car company to adopt the name of a nazi police organization for their commercial?

Huh??  What does "Green Police" have to do with the Nazi police organizations?  I didn't notice anything like SS or Gestapo or Stasi (yes, I know that's East German not Nazi, just being thorough) in that commercial.
Formerly sumpnz

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 12:47:11 AM »
I thought it was funny.  I think they did, too.

I thought it was funny... at first.  And I do think they also thought it was funny.  In a "We're morally and ecologically superior to those funny uncaring slobs, so buy our car and be superior too" kind of way.

And for the record, I'm a big fan of The Police.  I will continue to listen to their music and buy their cds.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 12:49:55 AM »
Okay, am I the only one annoyed by the "Green Police" commercial that Audi had during teh Souper Bowel?

At first, I though they were making fun of the everything green sentiment that's all the rage right now.  I was impressed with their bravery.  I laughed at their wit.  Then I realized they were serious.   :facepalm:

I do believe I'll never buy an Audi.  Just because of this commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq58zS4_jvM

DD

The Green Police add I saw was for Volkswagen. They were doing this "PunchBug" (we used to call it "SlugBug, and then only for "Bugs"), and yes, it was annoying.

Edited to correct for mistakes caused by my Redneck Teleprompter
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:12:09 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 12:54:03 AM »
The Green Police add I saw was for Volkswagen. They were doing this "PunchBug" (we used to call it "SlugBug, and then only for "Bugs"), and yes, it was annoying.

But I did laugh when Stevie Wonder slugged the guy for the red one.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 12:54:08 AM »
Huh??  What does "Green Police" have to do with the Nazi police organizations?  I didn't notice anything like SS or Gestapo or Stasi (yes, I know that's East German not Nazi, just being thorough) in that commercial.

The Ordnungspolizei ("normal" police) had green uniforms, so were informally called the Grüne Polizei, or the "Green Police"

It's reaching pretty far, and pretty silly, in my opinion. [EDIT: TO get upset about the ad and ties to Nazi Germany]

It's true that they were primarily the "regular" police, not the Gestapo or Schutzstaffel, but they had plenty to do with sending jews to their deaths, too.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:46:24 AM by Nitrogen »
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 02:59:10 AM »
It's reaching pretty far, and pretty silly, in my opinion.

What is?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 04:47:17 AM »
What is?

Getting upset about that ad and ties to Nazi Germany.  I clarified a bit.
It's obviously a humorous ad, not meant to be anti semetic or pro-nazi in any way, at least to me.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 06:19:28 AM »
I loved the VW commercial....

....but the Audi commercial rubbed me the wrong way, too....and I like Audi.  The whole "Green Police" thing reminded me of my Birchwood Casey Shoot'n'See Targets....expensive to make, easy to see, and react well when I shoot at them....  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 06:35:38 AM »
The Ordnungspolizei ("normal" police) had green uniforms, so were informally called the Grüne Polizei, or the "Green Police"

Das wußte ich nicht.

Was the uniform color and/or term common before the Nazis, or was this something that started with them?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:41:06 AM by KD5NRH »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 07:49:47 AM »
Getting upset about that ad and ties to Nazi Germany.  I clarified a bit.
It's obviously a humorous ad, not meant to be anti semetic or pro-nazi in any way, at least to me.

I'm looking at Azrael's post, and I don't see him being upset or calling anyone a Nazi.  He just seems to be pointing out a possible blunder. 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
The Green Police ad was sad, because that's where the Greenies are going.  Plenty of them would love to kick in your door and take you to jail for using Incadesant bulbs....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »
The Green Police ad was sad, because that's where the Greenies are going.

Yes! Right!

That line should have been part of my OP. Thanks, JJ.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 10:05:38 AM »
The Green Police ad was sad, because that's where the Greenies are going.  Plenty of them would love to kick in your door and take you to jail for using Incadesant bulbs....

Maybe we can combine them with the spelling SWAT team and they'll sort of balance out.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 10:27:38 AM »
Actually, "normal" police is something of a loose translation. Ordnung, or order, has something of a cultural meaning to Germans. "Alles in ordnung" is a popular expression referring to, "everything as it should be". My dad, who grew up in that era, used to often finish lectures to me when I was a kid with "alles in ordnung", as in "straighten up and fly right -- OR DER VIL BE CONSECVENCES!!!"

As to the green police -- funny commercial, but somewhat too close to home for this CA boy. The enviros here would see nothing out of order with fining someone $5000 for throwing a plastic bottle in a trash can instead of a recycle bin.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 10:37:51 AM »
I thought the ad was funny...to the point when I realized that somewhere, some greenie was screaming "YES!" at the television.  Don't blame Audi for that, though.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »

Exactly my thoughts.  The ad was funny in concept, but depressing in the unintended and underlying truth.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 01:09:19 PM »
But I did laugh when Stevie Wonder slugged the guy for the red one.

DD

That made the whole commercial. "How did you do that?" (I laughed). =D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:13:45 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 01:23:59 PM »
If the premise weren't so plausible it would be funny. After ashtray busts and school kids being taken into custody for drawing pictures of guns, though, the idea of green police is too real.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 01:26:29 PM »
Ashtray busts?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 02:41:53 PM »
You can have my 100 watt bulbs when you pry them from my burned fingers  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 03:06:20 PM »
Ashtray busts?

Not long after NYC passed the smoking ban, the owner of a convenience store was fined $6000. The police came in for some unrelated reason, found an ashtray under the front counter that had some ashes in it, and arrested him.

There was another person arrested for having an ashtray, but I'm drawing a blank on the story right now.