Author Topic: Grade inflation and its consequences  (Read 5735 times)

Preacherman

Grade inflation and its consequences
« on: January 12, 2006, 04:16:46 PM »
From the Economist (http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=574187):

All shall have prizes

Apr 12th 2001

From The Economist print edition

EVERY so often academic squabbles are worth treating as more than just up-market versions of The Jerry Springer Show. Harvard University is having exactly such a squabble at the moment. The instigator is Harvey C. Mansfield, a political philosopher whose soft-spoken manner belies a taste for public controversy; the subject is the rampant grade-inflation under which so many American students now take it for granted that they will be given an A for work that 20 years ago would have got a C; and the debate he has set off is challenging the cloying culture of self-esteem that stretches well beyond Harvard.

The whole thing started when Mr Mansfield, whose tough grades earned him the nickname C-minus, declared that he was no longer willing to punish his students by giving them realistic grades. Henceforward he would give them two grades: an ironic grade that would go on their official records, and a realistic grade that he would reveal to them only in private. In this way Harvard students could enjoy the challenge of measuring themselves against real standards without having their gleaming resumés sullied.
Advertisement

Ironic is a gentle word for Harvards grading system. About half of Harvards students get an A-minus or above. Only 6% receive a C-plus or lower. Some Harvard apologists justify this inflated system on the ground that their university selects the best and brightest. But arent grades supposed to establish relative merits? Arent elite institutions supposed to measure people against the highest possible standards? And arent serious teachers supposed to point out their pupils weaknesses as well as their strengths?

None of this would matter if Harvard were alone in taking the name of excellence in vain. But grade-inflation is almost universal in American education. Outstanding students are compared with Einstein. Abject failures are praised as differently abled. Even the hard sciences have started diluting their standards in order to compete with the humanities, where cheating is so much easier.

Why have academics allowed their standards to become so debased? Mr Mansfield provoked an outcry when he put some of the blame on affirmative action, the policy of providing places to some people on the basis of their race. University administrators accused him of making divisive charges without a shred of evidence to back them up. The divisive bit is certainly true, but Mr Mansfield could hardly provide the proof when the university administration keeps the relevant student transcripts under lock and key. He was simply relying on the only tools at his disposal: personal experience (he has been on the Harvard faculty since 1962) and circumstantial evidence: grade-inflation followed the introduction of affirmative action.

The debate about affirmative action is arguably a red herring. Three less controversial but much more pernicious things probably matter more. The first is the cult of self-esteem. For years fashionable educators have been arguing that the worst thing you can do to young people is to damage their sensitive egos with criticism. If a child lives with criticism, he learns to condemn, goes a popular screed handed out to the parents of pre-schoolers. If a child lives with praise, he learns to appreciate; if a child lives with approval, he learns to like himself.

This might be defensible when applied to the kindergarten. The trouble is that this therapeutic philosophy is spreading throughout the educational system. The idea is at the heart of constructivist maths, which emphasises the importance of feeling good about maths, rather than mastering basic techniques. It is at the heart of Ebonics, which argues that black children should not be penalised for adopting black speech patterns. And it is at the heart of the I love me sessions that proliferate in American elementary schools, in which children complete the phrase I am... with words such as beautiful, lovable and great, when spoilt, bored and violent often seem more accurate.

Resisting this claptrap is made no easier by the fact that so many leftish university professors routinely argue that traditional standards are little more than tools of western oppression. But the second mighty force behind grade inflation is something conservatives normally praise: the marketplace.

American universities are big businesses which can charge students in excess of $20,000 a year for the privilege of attending them. Students naturally gravitate towards institutions that are going to give them a return on their investmentthe sparkling academic resumé that opens the doors to Wall Street banks or prestigious law firms. Professors who resist the demand for grade-inflation may find themselves embarrassed by empty classrooms. Student course guides provide plenty of details about how generously teachers grade.

The third force is the lack of interest that high-flying academics show in the humdrum business of teaching. People who care a great deal about something are obsessed with making precise judgments of quality: listen to the average sports fan, for example. But the road to success in modern academia lies through research rather than teaching. All too many academics are content to hand out A-grades like confetti in return for favourable teaching ratings and more time to devote to research.

Fixing grade-inflation will not be easy in a system in which professors rightly value their autonomy. On the other hand, there are some signs of change. Graduate schools such as Harvards Business School have manfully maintained their use of a rigorous grading curve. Some universities have experimented with putting two grades on report cardsthe individual students grade and the average grade for the class as a whole.

But perhaps the simplest argument for Mr Mansfields cause is that anybody who has ever been well taught knows that he is right. People who work under demanding taskmasters usually learn to respect them. People who are coddled with unearned A-grades despise the system they are exploiting. Living on a diet of junk grades is like living on a diet of junk food. You swell up out of all decent proportions without ever getting any real nourishment. And you end up in later life regretting your disgusting habits.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 07:00:16 PM »
I'm very disturbed by the implications, Preacherman.  It makes my 8.7 undergrad GPA seem, well, cheapened.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 08:03:06 PM »
I see it in my little part of the world too. I went to school for chemistry at a university in a fairly rural setting. Some really bright kids there struggled to maintain a B average and alot of students washed out of the program. I've worked with a fair number of people who attended the most urban campus (read a lot of local minorities make up a big portion of the student body) of the same University system who were barely bright enough to match their shoes in the morning let alone tie them that got A averages in the same degree.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 08:06:19 PM »
Can't say I like those teachers.  It means someone that works their butt off can get the same grade as someone who coasts.

And to be honest, while they don't look good, I am more proud of some of my C's than A's.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 11:18:44 PM »
As a current college student I can tell you that this is universal in all levels of post-secondary acedemics. What happened was that *some* instructors started to give out softball grades. The problem with this is that one student can do excellent work in a program and walk out with a well-deserved B- while another can barely show up to class and walk out with an A+. When the class is over and those two kids are trying to get into a new program noone will know that one was held to a higher standard than another, the letters "A" and "B" are the only criteria that will be used.

The big problem with this is that now the grade average in school is not very far from a perfect grade. This leaves very little to distinguish brilliant students from those who barely scrape by. I recall my second year English class in Community College. I really applied myself in this class and understood the material. I recieved a perfect 4.0, literally 100% on all the material. However, there were kids in my class who simply didnt speak English, turned in indecipherable papers and walked out with 3.5s. This really takes a lot of the meaning from my grade. Alternately, I got an unlucky draw with a Biology instructor. I got the one guy in the school that hands out "traditional" grades. I left that class with a B+ that placed me in the top 1/3 of the class. However, the students in the class down the hall had an average grade of A- despite having significantly less work to do.

This situation is made even worse now that students routinely transfer between schools. For example, one of the better 2-year nursing programs in the Seattle area has pretty high standards. The problem here is that the students who take their prerequisites at that same school have a very hard time getting in, while students who went to easier schools can present much better looking transcripts, despite the fact that they are significantly less prepared than their counterparts with lower grades. The entire grading system at American schools has fallen apart due to the notion that everyone "deserves a chance" and that there "arent any stupid kids". The cost of "no child left behind" is that everyone else has to slow down so they can keep up.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 03:05:19 AM »
Yet another attempt to deny that half the population is of below average intelligence, so the inadequate don't get their feathers ruffled.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 06:19:53 AM »
This began in the very late 1960s, as anti-war professors tried to ensure that guys didn't flunk out and get drafted.

Unfortunately, in way too many schools the dumbing down has continued...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 07:13:16 AM »
It wasn't happening at my school (Campbell Univ early 90s).  Plenty of profs had reputations for being tough and I knew plenty who flunked out or had other problems because their grades got too low.  One friend of mine couldn't get his MBA with the rest of us because he did poorly on a final exam.  He found out the day before graduation. Sad

I take it back, we did have some who weren't quite so tough.  My Marketing professor was one.  I didn't get less than an A in any of his classes, but I did know those who did as poorly as a C.  I don't think he inflated grades so much as he graded on a curve and I was consistently on the A end of that curve.  Not only that, but he took your class participation, attitude, etc into consideration when formulating grades.

Chris

P95Carry

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 07:31:20 AM »
This defeats the whole object of further education - with regard to how any prospective employers might see new blood.  Farce is a better word.

Reminds me of something posted a few months ago - where the word ''fail'' was being banned, in case some student became too ''upset'' at knowing he/she had ''failed'' something.  I guess this is in same basic category.

My second university ''career'' (in UK) was 1992 thru 1995 - finished up with a 2.1 Hons degree - and worked damn hard for it too.
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 07:45:39 AM »
I hate easy teachers.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Norton

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 08:10:18 AM »
I can't speak to the university level, but I can tell you with certainty that it is endemic at the secondary level, especially for teachers in the "elective" areas that must compete for students.

With the high stakes testing going on and kids being pressured more and more to bone up their "core" classes, electives teachers are being told that the minute that their numbers reach an unacceptable level they are gone.  So....get the reputation for being the hard teacher and poof you don't get kids signing up for your program.

I don't buy that train of thought for a second.

Funny thing ......I give "honest" grades and the kids earn both their As and Es equally....and my numbers are going up to the point that we will begin turning kids away because of lack of available seats.  Seems the kids know when they are being sold a bill of goods by teachers pitching them softballs.

P95Carry

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 08:59:36 AM »
Paul - you are among the smaller number I suspect, who have that thing called integrity and fair play.  A laudable trait.
Chris - P95

Chris

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 09:21:29 AM »
Where it really bites you in the backside though is the inequity between universities.  When I was in law school, the dean imposed mandatory C curves to combat grade inflation.  His version was that hewould take the number of students in the class and assign a number of each grade, so each class was allotted a number of A's and B's.  THe remainder of the class was doomed to C or below.  Okay, that's all well and good.  But, when I graduate with a 3.1 GPA that I busted my butt to get, and lose out in job interviews to people who got by easy at other law schools and coasted out with a 3.5, makes me look kind of dumb by comparison.

Now, Make that Harvard law vs poor little old me at the University of Dayton, and my 3.1 vs. his much more expensive 3.5.  Anyone wonder why I couldn't even get an interview at some of the big firms?

Norton

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 10:24:40 AM »
Quote from: P95Carry
Paul - you are among the smaller number I suspect, who have that thing called integrity and fair play.  A laudable trait.
Chris,

I tell you, it's hard having integrity as we see it.  It usually just gets me in trouble with the bosses.  Feh, at least I can look myself in the mirror in the morning.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 05:14:42 AM »
Another factor in grade inflation is the emphasis that many institutions place on the students' evaluation of the instructor's teaching.  Unless you've got tenure, bad evals can cost you your job.  Many instructors inflate grades a bit to make sure that the students "like" them.  

And the students can be viscious in those evals.  They are even more nasty on ratemyprofessor.com.  I don't even look at it.  

I'm lucky, my chair takes our evaluations with a grain of salt.  All of my courses get observed by other faculty, and one thing they watch for is the dynamics of the class.  It helps put the evals in perspective.
Experiment with a chemist!

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 06:09:29 PM »
Quote from: DrAmazon
Another factor in grade inflation is the emphasis that many institutions place on the students' evaluation of the instructor's teaching.  Unless you've got tenure, bad evals can cost you your job.  Many instructors inflate grades a bit to make sure that the students "like" them.  

And the students can be viscious in those evals.  They are even more nasty on ratemyprofessor.com.  I don't even look at it.  

I'm lucky, my chair takes our evaluations with a grain of salt.  All of my courses get observed by other faculty, and one thing they watch for is the dynamics of the class.  It helps put the evals in perspective.
The nasty evaluations are understandable. In a system where nearly *everyone* goes to college and we all end up competing for a very few seats in any given program even the slightest amount of grade varience matters quite a bit. If one teacher hands out legitimate grades while another hands out softballs, its an easy choice who is going to be popular with the students. We can talk about "enrichment" all we want, but when it comes down to it, its grades that matter. I am required to take a number of classes that have no bearing whatsoever on my major, I really dont *need* to learn the information in those classes, what I need is grade padding. Thats what the evaluations are for. Like I said, its a sad system.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 03:42:54 AM »
Hmmm.  A little thread veer here.  I wonder if a college degree isn't a bit overvalued.  Advanced education has been elevated, imho, to almost idolatry.  We worship the degree.  In my 62 years I have met many folks who have papers and many who do not.  The unpapered ones seemed to have a wider understanding of life than the papered one; having an ability to to cope with the vagaries of life.  The more advanced the degree, the more detached from the wider spectrum of life they are.  Not a general statement, just an observation.

It seems to me that high school ought to teach a good deal more in the arena of life skills, music and the arts of all kinds.  I wonder if kids were exposed to more hands on stuff in H.S. they might be a little more interested, generally, in school and might excel a bit more in traditional courses.  If that might be true, most kids would come out of H.S. better prepared for life than they are now.  College could go back to being a training ground for doctors, engineers, etc who need 4 or more years of a more focused regime, and we'd also get some kids who are prepared well after HS for being tradesmen.  As far as technology goes, most kids are swimming in that lake by the time they are 5 or 6.  Tech courses in school may be redundant for todays kids.  Trouble is educators don't realize that.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

P95Carry

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 10:13:50 AM »
Dick - you bring up a very good point - one I am with you on 100%.

''Qualifications'' mean very little sometimes - a good example could be the company that takes in a school graduate, trains them up over time (the old 'apprentice' system) and makes them into a highly productive and skilled worker.

Contrast that with the so called ''expert'' fresh from University, with a string of supposed credits and yet - put them in a real world work environment - and they flounder.  They might be ''clever'' in their chosen specialty but so often they seem to have little of the much needed common sense and ability to deal with the broader aspects of commerce (and life!).

This is not to do down the graduate at all - many are indeed very clever folks who will be an asset to a company but to assume that all people with certificates are brilliant is not valid.  Often the regular ''smart'' guy will do as well or better in the long term.

In manufacturing, we see good examples, where yound degree types come in as management and yet know squat about what goes on on the shop floor.  Compare that with the guy who has ''worked his way up'' and can pretty well turn his hand to anything there is - because he has done it!!
Chris - P95

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 11:14:12 AM »
The value of a college degree depends (IMO) in large part on the particular curriculum.  Engineering, math and the hard sciences:  There's a ton of material you just don't get out "in the world".  

My own degree was in mechanical engineering.  My first job was at the Chevy Test Lab in Warren, Mich.  Later on, in my car racing, a benefit was that I knew WHY stuff would work, not just cut-and-try and hope.  Sure, some guys knew what would work under certain conditions, but when conditions changed, they were lost.  I wasn't.

I note that at Chevy, I began as a glorified mechanic, a so-called "Engineer in training".  Greasy hands and all that.  In later years and careers, I also started at the bottom and worked my way up.  It took me six years to finally get my professional registration, able to work independently as a "sure nuff" injuneer. Smiley

But I'm not sure I understand the value of a degree in "University Studies" or "Planning" or "Communications". Smiley

Art

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 05:19:38 PM »
My company (a major upper midwest property and casualty company) requires its agent trainees to be degreed.  Most of the "sales people" that they have hired in the last few years under these circumstances, wouldn't make a pimple on a duck's behind.

A couple of folks that are notable successes were people that were hired due to upper managers bringing in some folks they knew from other companies.  Mustangs.  They are universaly successful.

I think part of the problem is that HR is staffed by BS, BA, MA, MBA's etc degree types and they tend to look down their collective noses at folks with experience and no paperwork.  In my 37 years in the business, most of the highly successful agents were people who had a "sales gene".  I firmly believe you can't teach someone to be a salesperson.  The hiring and training of those critters should be geared around turning them loose on the world and then getting out of their way.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 03:26:04 AM »
Well it was prevalent in the 80's. Can you say "bell curve" where the highest mark for an exam was adjusted to a perfect score and the rest of the grades were adjusted up the same number of points. In my case I was "ruining" the curve for everyone else in Earth Science to the point where I was approached by classmembers and asked to please not do so well on the final. I pulled a 98 on it. Wink

(I missed "subduction")
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 06:32:57 AM »
grampster, did you ever have to deal with someone who can sell, but can't close?  I have a buddy who is that way.  Business or women.  I've watched him at parties, just selling up a storm to some Sweet Young Thing.  Her "Do me!" light is on.  He keeps on selling.  She gives up and goes home.  And, it's no different for him in business dealings...

Conversely, I have a couple of other friends who'll have folks whipping out their checkbooks in a heartbeat.  One's doing oil deals; the other, used cars...

Smiley, Art