Author Topic: Blog?  (Read 1295 times)

zahc

• friend
Blog?
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:30:01 PM »
I don't want "a blog". I've been going to start a personal website for a long time, but not knowing how to do it, I would have to teach myself how to make websites, and I just haven't got to it. But I need a place where I can post my personal research projects so that I can put the link on my resume. I have a lot of robotics projects that I have done that are relevant for more computational jobs, but that experience is not reflected in scientific/professional resume. It strikes me that I could use blogging software, as long as it was unobtrusive, simple, and somewhat professional. What about a wiki?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zahc

• friend
Re: Blog?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 05:30:49 PM »
I actually just signed up for a year of Dreamhost and registered a domain. I have nothing to put up there yet, but hopefully I can remember enough html to make an index.html and make a plain link farm.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:38:27 PM »
You can make up something in MS Weird and then save it as html...

The results are sometimes rather odd.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 07:23:23 PM »
http://www.w3schools.com/  is a great place to learn HTML, or pick up anything you've forgotten. 

You can make up something in MS Weird and then save it as html...

The results are sometimes rather odd.

I believe the term is craptastic.  ;)
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 06:49:33 PM »
Right now I'm using basic html to make a basic website. The goal is a simple website with text, clickable picture thumbnails that open up to large size images, and basically links around. I eventually want to add a Google or Paypal checkout.

The thing is, I don't know if I'm making a mistake here--I don't want to make a lot of progress and then realize that I should have started out using flash or CSS or something fancy that I don't know of, because my site doesn't work well on certain browsers or on iPhones or whatever. What do you think? What tools should I learn and use?

In the meantime, I'm not sure how I should structure the files that my website is made out of. I have an index.html file and all the rest of the page files all sitting in the same directory. I have a folder in that directory that all my images are in. I think the stoneage thing to do is use ImageMagik to create a bunch of thumbnails, and make it so when you click the thumbnail image you go to a page with nothing but the large version. I want to keep it all sorted though. I don't know if I should make a separate thumbnail directory in the same folder with the html files, or make it a subdirectory of the images folder, or what.
--Tallpine

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 07:00:13 PM »
I don't want "a blog". I've been going to start a personal website for a long time, but not knowing how to do it, I would have to teach myself how to make websites, and I just haven't got to it. But I need a place where I can post my personal research projects so that I can put the link on my resume. I have a lot of robotics projects that I have done that are relevant for more computational jobs, but that experience is not reflected in scientific/professional resume. It strikes me that I could use blogging software, as long as it was unobtrusive, simple, and somewhat professional. What about a wiki?

Wikis are good for storing a large set of diverse data.

I did basically what you want.  Bought my domain, bought some hosting, learned some HTML.  What I did, and I highly recommend, was googled for templates.  And I learned by modifying.  I have a blog, but I generally use that to store small amounts of data or HOWTO's.  It is not a good format for large data set storage.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 10:33:06 AM »
If the goal is to publish information,
It is hard to go wrong with a blogger.com site

You can easily tweak the UI enough that it really does not look like a "blog"
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:04:13 AM »
The thing is, I don't know if I'm making a mistake here--I don't want to make a lot of progress and then realize that I should have started out using flash or CSS or something fancy that I don't know of, because my site doesn't work well on certain browsers or on iPhones or whatever. What do you think? What tools should I learn and use?

I know almost nothing about programming considering my age group. I actually am a little embarrased by it. I can't help you too much with youR problem.

However, if you want your site to be useable by iPhones, then do not use flash. Apple doesn't want flash for the iPhone, and I wouldn't expect that to change even with increased competition.

My iPhone likes sites like APS the best, except when posting. The zoom gets funky then, sometimes only showing a couple words at a time. This can result in odd posts.

Stick to simple pages for best results on phones.