Author Topic: Deepest, darkest Irish whiskey?  (Read 8255 times)

Chuck Dye

• friend
Deepest, darkest Irish whiskey?
« on: February 14, 2010, 09:25:04 PM »
I wandered through a liquor store I'd not been in before and found Knappogue Castle 1995, a 13 year old single malt Irish whiskey that is nice enough stuff but is far too lightly flavored for me to buy again as, in a side-by-side comparison, I found I much preferred the ordinary Jameson's.  This has led me to look for the most strongly flavored Irish whiskey I can find and afford ($1300+ for the Knappogue Castle 1951, just for the taste test, is a bit beyond my budget.  :D)

Any suggestions?  I'm seeking the Irish equivalent to the black rums or at least the Islay single malt Scotches.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Deepest, darkest Irish whiskey?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 09:34:17 PM »
Have you tried Red Breast?  (My favorite)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:01:38 PM »
Have you tried Red Breast?  (My favorite)

Yes,  and enjoyed it a lot.  Red Breast, though, is not as flavorful as what I think I am seeking.  As I understand the process, blended malt whiskeys, Scotch and Irish, are blended from pot still whiskeys, often cottage industries product, and column distilled whiskeys.  The column distilled product is said to be so highly refined as to be nearly flavorless, so blends such as the standard Jameson's, Bushmill's, Powers, et al, get their color and flavor almost entirely from the pot distilled components.  Thus the flavor the Jameson's I like is the result of stronger flavored pot still whiskey diluted by nearly flavorless column still whiskey.  I would like to get into those richer, darker, undiluted pot still whiskeys.  This may well require touring Ireland and finding whiskeys not distributed internationally (or even nationally, if I have been informed correctly.)  Unfortunately, my current finances are as likely to buy me that Knappogue Castle 1951 as to get me an extended tour of rural Ireland. *sigh*

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 11:04:04 PM »

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 11:11:07 PM »
Thanks for the link, sanglant.  I am having no difficulty finding the rich, dark end of the Scotch spectrum.  Do you have a similar link for Irish whiskeys?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 11:30:48 PM »
I think the Irish get the dark color and flavor from filtering it through some dirty peat. :P

And I'll also say this,

Cò an caora sin còmhla riut a chunnaic mi an-raoir? >:D

And to be serious I can't think of an Irish whiskey meeting your criteria. But I'm waiting for answers. [popcorn]

jim

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 11:39:16 PM »
there are some there, you click on the names on the right =D i stick to the canadians :lol: there cheaper [popcorn]

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 11:55:07 PM »
there are some there, you click on the names on the right =D i stick to the canadians :lol: there cheaper [popcorn]

I'm enjoying my Mist right now. It doesn't taste like dirt.

jim

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:45:02 AM »
Yes,  and enjoyed it a lot.  Red Breast, though, is not as flavorful as what I think I am seeking.  As I understand the process, blended malt whiskeys, Scotch and Irish, are blended from pot still whiskeys, often cottage industries product, and column distilled whiskeys.  The column distilled product is said to be so highly refined as to be nearly flavorless, so blends such as the standard Jameson's, Bushmill's, Powers, et al, get their color and flavor almost entirely from the pot distilled components.  Thus the flavor the Jameson's I like is the result of stronger flavored pot still whiskey diluted by nearly flavorless column still whiskey.  I would like to get into those richer, darker, undiluted pot still whiskeys.  This may well require touring Ireland and finding whiskeys not distributed internationally (or even nationally, if I have been informed correctly.)  Unfortunately, my current finances are as likely to buy me that Knappogue Castle 1951 as to get me an extended tour of rural Ireland. *sigh*

I don't know much about Irish whiskey except I haven't met one I didn't like. You may want to see if you can find any cask strength Irish whiskey. That way it hasn't been cut with water to reduce the alcohol content.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 11:36:59 AM »
Cò an caora sin còmhla riut a chunnaic mi an-raoir?

Ewe know about that?  :O

Bha ise uan air chall  ;)

Bha mi ise a ghabhail dhan dhachaigh.  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 11:43:28 AM »
 I threw Red Breast your direction because it's a Pure Pot Still whiskey.  Looks like you're trying to find the Guinness Extra Stout of Irish whiskey.   :O

(Besides Red Breast, there are Green Spot, and a couple Jameson Pure Pot Still varieties)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 12:24:01 PM »
No, not the Guinness, the Russian Imperial Stout of Irish whiskeys.  

If Redbreast compares to gold rums, I am seeking the equivalent to Myer's, Cruzan Black Strap, Old Monk, Lemon Hart, etc.  Better yet, I will find an equivalent to Rhum Negrita or Barbancourt Five Star.  Given that almost all Irish whiskey is triple distilled and that even the richest, most flavorful, grain liquors scarcely compare to such rums, there very probably is no such thing.  I expect to enjoy the search, though.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:29:36 PM by Chuck Dye »

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 04:10:28 PM »
Thank you guys.  Now I'm going to have to launder my shirt because of all the slobber down the front of it after all this talk about Irish Whiskey. :P

Jameson and RedBreast are my favs.  I rather enjoy the light, sweetness of those whiskeys. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
I dunno if this is the kind of thing you mean, but one year for my b-day my wife bought a bottle of 18 yo single malt bushmills.  It was quite a bit more tasty than the regular blend...

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 09:56:25 AM »
I haven't tried it, but the Bushmills 1608 (I think) might be closest to what you're seeking.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 11:09:34 PM »
Ewe know about that?  :O

Bha ise uan air chall  ;)

Bha mi ise a ghabhail dhan dhachaigh.  :angel:

Ewer much better then I am. I just know enough to get in trouble.

I've had about three hours sleep the last two nights and I just can't seem to get little bo peep lost her sheep out of my head.
I need Great grandpa. He came over by ship and his wagon broke down in Independence, MO. He spoke it for a reason.

jim

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 11:09:24 AM »
I need Great grandpa. He came over by ship and his wagon broke down in Independence, MO. He spoke it for a reason.

Fascinating!  :cool:

All my ancestors seem to have been on the west side (an taobh iar) of the pond since before 1800.  I don't know what they spoke coming over here, but one g-g-g-gfather was born in Derry.  Gaelic origin names on both sides of the family.

It's a tough one to learn.  I do better after drinking some uisge-beatha  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 08:58:06 PM »
I'm enjoying my Mist right now. It doesn't taste like dirt.

jim
if that's Canadian Mist, you might want to buy a 50ml bottle of crown royal. :facepalm: o know it's high, but if you can afford it.(and are drinking it straight) it's worth the difference. [popcorn](i just wish i could afford it) :angel:

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 11:26:56 PM »
if that's Canadian Mist, you might want to buy a 50ml bottle of crown royal. :facepalm: o know it's high, but if you can afford it.(and are drinking it straight) it's worth the difference. [popcorn](i just wish i could afford it) :angel:

I do like Crown Royal. Maybe a little too much. ;)

It's much cheaper if you buy it north or south of our borders. Three bottles cost the same in Mexico as one bottle here last time I was there. My memory may be a little fuzzy on that for some reason.

jim

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 09:32:39 AM »
now that's just depressing, [popcorn] bloody revenuers. [tinfoil]

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 12:34:38 AM »
Getting closer:  I found a bottle of Bushmill's 16 year old single malt (brown label) at $69.  The label says it is aged in a succession of first American Bourbon, then olorosso sherry, then old port barrels.  I am only a couple of ounces into it, but this is yummy stuff, richer and more complex than any Irish whiskey I have tried in the past.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 04:03:34 AM »
Here's something different, Wasmund's, an American pot still whisky. I got into some of this on new years and I swear it's like they figured out how to bottle smoked peat and cultural misery.  =D Actually quite good, but I was shocked that someone 10 miles from where I grew up was making anything other than untaxed corn liquor. http://www.copperfox.biz/index/

I got bourbon bored temporarily and got a bottle of Glenmorangie, pretty tasty.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:07:56 AM by French G. »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 09:59:04 AM »
For you Crown Royal drinkers.  Try a bottle of Black Velvet.  Much cheaper, tastes nearly the same.  I don't care for blended whiskey's any more, though.  I likes me M & M bourbon. (sweet and cheap)

'Course I likes me Pyrat rum too, me hearties.  I bought a bottle of Feckin' Irish Whiskey when we were in KW this winter.  Pretty good stuff.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 04:46:10 PM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »
Getting closer:  I found a bottle of Bushmill's 16 year old single malt (brown label) at $69. 

if you like this, try 18yo  Jamesons Limited Reserve..