Author Topic: Whale Wars Heats Up  (Read 2819 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Whale Wars Heats Up
« on: February 15, 2010, 12:09:23 PM »
Are you kidding me? The guy is not under arrest??? The Japanese should take him back to Japan and run him through their criminal justice system. Throwing rotten food at the whalers is one thing, but clandestinely boarding a foreign vessel is kind of a big deal. The trust fund babies need a dose of reality.

----------------------
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/australianzealandjapanwhaling

Anti-whaling activist boards Japanese ship: official
Mon Feb 15, 1:00 am ET

SYDNEY (AFP) – An anti-whaling activist has boarded a Japanese security ship to make a citizen's arrest of its captain over the sinking of a high-tech boat, an animal rights group and an official said on Monday.

New Zealand's Pete Bethune, captain of the futuristic Ady Gil powerboat which was smashed in two on January 6, jumped aboard the Japanese ship from a jetski under the cover of darkness, the Sea Shepherd group said.

"This was an impossible mission," spokesman Paul Watson said in a statement.

"Captain Bethune boarded a Japanese whaling fleet security ship at high speed in total darkness, breached the spikes and anti-boarding nets and is presently onboard, and the Japanese crew are still not aware that he is there.

"He is there to demand justice for the sinking of his ship."

Sea Shepherd said Bethune would try to arrest the Shonan Maru 2's captain for "the destruction of the Ady Gil and attempted murder of the six Ady Gil crewmembers".

He would also attempt to hand over a three million US dollar bill for the destruction of the state-of-the-art trimaran, which set the round-the-world powerboat record under its former name, Earthrace.

"Sea Shepherd anticipates that the Japanese will hold Captain Bethune as prisoner onboard the Shonan Maru 2," the group's statement added.

In Japan, a spokesman for the fisheries agency later confirmed that an activist had boarded the ship.

"He is now in Japanese custody. It is not an arrest. Under existing laws, the captain can take measures as he considers necessary," the spokesman said.

"Nothing is really happening. The man is not being belligerent."

The agency spokesman added that the man was receiving medical care after injuring a finger while boarding the ship.

The spokesman declined to comment on possible legal action against the activist and on how Japan would treat the compensation claim over the destruction of the Sea Shepherd vessel.

The Sea Shepherd activists claim to have saved the lives of hundreds of whales by harassing the annual hunt, which kills the animals using a loophole in an international moratorium which allows "lethal research".

Australia and New Zealand have called for restraint from both sides in their Antarctic clashes, with the activists deploying laser-like devices and stink bombs and the Japanese fleet operating military-style acoustic weapons.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Whale Wars Heats Up
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 12:23:16 PM »
I know how I would treat that kind of pirate . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:30:04 PM »
I know how I would treat that kind of pirate . . .

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 12:49:33 PM »
Plank walking was usually a punishment Pirates used.  A good old fashioned keel-hauling would be more appropriate.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 12:53:12 PM »

"He is now in Japanese custody. It is not an arrest. Under existing laws, the captain can take measures as he considers necessary," the spokesman said.

Captain's Mast and Summary Execution works for me....   :P (to those humor-challenged, the above is meant as satire...  A joke.  I do not advocate the death penalty for these nitwits.  Then you'd just make a martyr for more nitwits to rally around [again, to those humor challenged, the last sentence is also satire.  I really don't advocate the death penalty for this particular form of piracy.  A nice long stay in a Japanese Gray-Bar hotel would work though])
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 12:58:31 PM »
Captain's Mast and Summary Execution works for me....   :P (to those humor-challenged, the above is meant as satire...  A joke.  I do not advocate the death penalty for these nitwits.  Then you'd just make a martyr for more nitwits to rally around [again, to those humor challenged, the last sentence is also satire.  I really don't advocate the death penalty for this particular form of piracy.  A nice long stay in a Japanese Gray-Bar hotel would work though])

I do, considering that on numerous occasions he has placed others in jeapordy of life and limb through his intentional actions.
In the past he and his crew have hurled objects (Glass bottles and flashbangs) onto ships at sea, placing crew in danger of both injury and death.  Flashbangs can cause fires, which is death at sea.  They have attempted to disable ships at sea, which is one of the most dangerous situations for a ship (A disabled ship has no steerage, and is at the mercy of the sea).  They have also intentionally rammed ships at sea (not just with the bat boat...they have used a larger vessel to ram other vessels).  Even something as simple as slipping from the deck of a ship and falling into the ocean can be fatal. 
Shootinstudent will be along to say how this is all justified since the whalers are killing whales.  However, nobody is making Paul Watson leave port and attack these other vessels. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 12:59:03 PM »
Make the twit eat fresh whale meat for dinner every night until they're back in port.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 01:01:32 PM »
wonder what kinda ticket this "capt" holds. or is it like watsons badge? outa a box of cracker jacks. just a matter vof time before we end up with some real martyrs.

paul watson seems to specialize in using others.  i'd like to see an action in us courts against bob barker for financing terrorism/piracy. to encourage other folks to consider what the do
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 01:05:54 PM »
I'd just chuck him overboard with the most flimsy, beat-up old dinghy/life-raft on board.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 01:08:38 PM »
Make the twit eat fresh whale meat for dinner every night until they're back in port.

FTW  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 01:13:43 PM »
wonder what kinda ticket this "capt" holds. or is it like watsons badge? outa a box of cracker jacks. just a matter vof time before we end up with some real martyrs.

paul watson seems to specialize in using others.  i'd like to see an action in us courts against bob barker for financing terrorism/piracy. to encourage other folks to consider what the do

http://www.seashepherd.org/who-we-are/master-and-commander.html
Captain Paul Watson responded to the Canadian Naval spokesperson at the time by saying:

“Since World War II, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has boarded more ships, rammed more ships, engaged in more high seas confrontations and sunk more ships than the Canadian Navy. They are hardly in a position to presume to judge what we are competent or capable of doing.”
JD

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 01:22:43 PM »
I'd just chuck him overboard with the most flimsy, beat-up old dinghy/life-raft on board.

Put him in the long boat and make him bail 'er? 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 01:51:02 PM »
Under existing laws, the captain can take measures as he considers necessary

Aaarrrrrrr!  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bruce H

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 06:15:07 PM »
The three SSS's still apply. Shoot, Splash, Shut-up.
It is possible to always be wrong.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 06:32:57 PM »
Yee-haa.

Another Whale Wars thread on APS, and somebody advocating violence within 14 posts.

Wunnerful. Really puts APS in a positive light, don't it? =|

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"