Author Topic: don't read this if you have high blood pressure  (Read 3633 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
don't read this if you have high blood pressure
« on: February 17, 2010, 01:58:58 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/16/tim.masters.settlement/index.html

(CNN)  -- It won't make up for almost a decade of imprisonment, but a $4.1 million settlement is a "good start," one of Tim Masters' attorneys said Tuesday.

The Larimer County, Colorado, Board of Commissioners voted earlier Tuesday to settle a lawsuit that Masters filed after a judge exonerated him on a murder charge that put him behind bars in 1999.

"There's no dollar figure that's going to give him back his 10 years," said David Wymore, one of the attorneys who represented Masters in the case. "Tim just wishes this never happened to him, but it did."

Masters was 15 when Fort Collins, Colorado, police began investigating him in the murder of 37-year-old Peggy Hettrick, who was found murdered and sexually mutilated in a field near Masters' family home.

He was convicted largely on circumstantial evidence and the testimony of an expert witness who said he fit the profile of a sexual predator. A judge freed Masters in 2008 after new evidence was presented in the case. The crime remains unsolved.

Masters' co-counsel David Lane emphasized there is still a lawsuit pending against the city and that Tuesday's settlement represented only a "good start" to compensating a man who was "framed for a crime he did not commit."

Wymore, who also represented Masters in the criminal proceedings that saw the charges against him dismissed, said he is pleased with the settlement, but feels "someone should apologize to Tim one day because it's not just an accident."
Case History
In 1987, a bicyclist found the maimed body of Peggy Hettrick, 37, near the home of Tim Masters.

Masters, then 15, quickly became the top suspect in the slaying, but it was not until 1999 that police and prosecutors saw Masters convicted. He was sentenced to life in prison.

In hearings that began in September 2007, Masters' new defense team alleged police and prosecutorial misconduct in the investigation and trial.

In January 2008, a judge threw out the conviction and freed Masters after DNA evidence pointed to someone else.

Later that year, Masters' attorneys filed a lawsuit against several Fort Collins police officers and former prosecutors, alleging malicious prosecution, attorney Maria Liu says.

Masters, 38, was unable to comment because of the case pending against Fort Collins and some of its police officers. In a statement from his attorney, Masters said he was pleased with the county settlement and eager to conclude the proceedings.

"I would gladly have paid $10 million, or whatever it took, if I could get those years of my life back. Unfortunately, that can never happen," Masters said in the statement.

Kelly DiMartino, a spokeswoman for the city, said Fort Collins is presently negotiating with Masters, but she was unable to share details because it involves pending litigation.

Tuesday's settlement -- $3 million of which will be paid by the county's insurer -- closes the case against the county and two of its judges, Terry Gilmore and Jolene Blair, who were prosecutors in the case that jailed Masters.

A news release said the county had already paid more than $400,000 defending the case and officials believe Gilmore and Blair "handled the Masters prosecution with the utmost professionalism and confidence."

It also said Gilmore, Blair and District Attorney Larry Abrahamson objected to the settlement.

"They would rather have had their day in court," county attorney George Hass said.

The settlement indicates no wrongdoing, explained Hass. Rather, he said, the county was concerned by the prospect of a jury assigning more exorbitant damages. The county decided it would settle for $4.1 million "even though we felt we had a good case to defend," the attorney said.

Hass said he has seen juries dole out damages in excess of $10 million in similar cases, and "that would be a number the county would have to struggle with."

The money should be paid to Masters by February 25, Hass said.

It was 12 years after Hettrick's slaying before prosecutors convicted him and he was sentenced to life in prison.

Police procured no physical evidence in their investigation, and prosecutors relied largely on a collection of knives and gruesome doodles and sketches, as well as the testimony of a forensic psychologist who implicated Masters without ever interviewing him.
He wants to be a normal guy. He wants to get a house, a dog, a car.
--David Wymore, attorney for Tim Masters
ting DNA evidence that did not implicate Masters, a visiting judge threw out the case in 2008, and Masters walked free.

A year after his release, Masters told CNN he maintained hard feelings for police and prosecutors in the case and said he felt he would have a wife and job if not for the bogus conviction. He was selling items on eBay at the time to earn money.

"They locked me up for a decade for something I didn't do," he told CNN.

Wymore said Tuesday that Masters' eBay income has dried up since he spoke to CNN last year. He is presently living in his aunt's basement and attending school to be recertified as an aircraft mechanic, a job he enjoyed during his eight years in the Navy.

"The settlement allows Tim to re-establish himself as a human being," Wymore said. "He wants to be a normal guy. He wants to get a house, a dog, a car."
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: don't read this if you have high blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 02:10:46 AM »
The $$ is a good start. But I'd like to see some folks in jail for not doing their jobs properly.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 02:35:48 AM »
be nice to put real killer there too. right next to anyone who cheated during discovery. kudos to the lady cop who testified. shame she wasn't able to get her doubts heard a decade ago.
i know a guy who did 22 years before they cut him loose. in his case in va his only recourse was the governor .  and he got the arresting officer, prosecutor and original judge to all join in the petition to set him free.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 02:44:30 AM »
It would be damn nice to get the real killer in jail. Hopefully with the advances in LE science that set this man free, can get the real killer. Still, those who did not do their jobs or outright lied for a
conviction should have to pay a hefty price.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 09:55:44 AM »
4 mil for ten years of some ones life? And who knows what experiences in prison?

Nah I don't think so. Not that any number would have made it right by any means but I suspect making the rest of my life comfortable enough after ten years of incarceration in our current prison system would have required a much higher number.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 11:01:10 AM »
Similar case in Montana recently.  Can't remember the guys name, but he served something like 15 years on a bogus rape charge.  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 11:05:45 AM »
It would be damn nice to get the real killer in jail. Hopefully with the advances in LE science that set this man free, can get the real killer. Still, those who did not do their jobs or outright lied for a
conviction should have to pay a hefty price.

the more so since they are so unabashed about their failure. i feel for the kids dad. he thought he was doing the right thing by his kid.  we had a case here where they had the wrong guy in jail awaiting trial for snatching and killing a young girl. mediocre police work coupled with out and out fraud by a lab tech "who wanted to help" and was so sure the cops had the right guy she cheated.  thats would be bad enough but 3 days before his trial the killer grabbed 2 sisters raped and killed them. wrong guy jailed killer left to kill again. there is a tendancy to not cast a wide net once you think you got the right guy

Torchman

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 12:04:28 PM »
The worst part, besides the 10 years he will NEVER be " innocent" . With todays records checks, job market, etc... Can you imagine the interview? "What is this 10 year gap in your resume?" Yep, he'll get any job he applies for. He lost ANY chance of having that normal life.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »
. . . out and out fraud by a lab tech "who wanted to help" and was so sure the cops had the right guy she cheated . . .
Mistakes, even careless mistakes, are one thing . . . deliberate falsification of evidence ought to land the person who does it in prison for at least as long as the person wrongly convicted.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 12:14:45 PM »
this guy was never convicted. damn weird thing was he was almost ready to confess. by thee time he went to trial. he was in jail almost a year. on the plus side he was serving time for shoplifting during this period so its not like he woulda been on the street. he was a few frys shy of a happy meal and said he'd had dreams about the first girl, and yes he had a cellmate snitch who reported that as part of a deal

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 01:38:59 PM »
Makes you wonder what the true ratio for wrongful convinctions is.  Even if it is tiny, it is horrifying.

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 04:24:16 PM »
truly wrongful?  or where burgular a takes a plea for some of burglar b's work?
it only takes one wrongful to be too many if you are the one.  i spent a long time being bad  paid the price. have only been wrongfully accused once and the system rectified it.  but i got a good lawyer anyway. just as time spent on recon is never wasted likewise money spent on quality legal representation is also well spent.  i try to do the legwork for em though to save my money

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 04:35:30 PM »
Makes you wonder what the true ratio for wrongful convinctions is.  Even if it is tiny, it is horrifying.

A prof told a story a couple days ago about a client of hers who confessed to a murder and spent a couple years on death row before it was reduced to life.

Guy was retarded.  And he confessed to having committed the murder 24 hours (in July) before EMT's and ER doctors spent an hour attempting to resuscitate the girl.  All the medical  evidence at trial was pretty much reduced to "meh, the guy said he did it, so that is what must have happened, even though the idea of multiple medical professionals attempting to revive a kid who had dead in a hot apartment for over 24 hours is ludicrous."

Prosecutors seem to LOVE highly suggestible suspects.

And in that case?  Yeah, the girlfriend--the dead kid's mother--is a much more likely suspect.  Not so much as a CPS investigation into the other two kids in her care.  I realize we all have differing opinions of child protective proceedings, but is anyone under the illusion that that a woman who kills her own kid should be allowed a chance at the other two, without so much as a hearing on the issue?

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 04:43:02 PM »
I realize we all have differing opinions of child protective proceedings, but is anyone under the illusion that that a woman who kills her own kid should be allowed a chance at the other two, without so much as a hearing on the issue?

that brings up a bit of a dilemma for me.  any woman that can kill her kid is crazy/mentally deficient in my mind. so a part of me says looney bin. while another part says put her down like a rabid dog. i do very poorly with folks who mistreat children.  one night i fielded a call from a sponsee and gave him detailed instructions on how to kill himself as my wife listened in horror. i told him to go to a notell motel with a bottle and a shotgun and how to use his toe to pull the trigger. that way wife and family don't have to live in house where daddy died.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »
Is there more information on the case in the OP?  I was curious why it took 12 years before they even brought the case to trial.  There were also some details mentioned in posts that weren't in the original article. 

I would also be curious what was told to the jury during trial.  That is pretty weak evidence to start voting guilty.  I have served on a jury for a murder trial in Houston and the jurors took it pretty seriously and many were real reluctant to vote guilty without good reason.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 06:20:17 PM »
one night i fielded a call from a sponsee and gave him detailed instructions on how to kill himself as my wife listened in horror. i told him to go to a notell motel with a bottle and a shotgun and how to use his toe to pull the trigger. that way wife and family don't have to live in house where daddy died.

That was mighty considerate of you, IMO. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 07:01:42 PM »
yea  they had suffered enough.  and i 1/2 knew the pos wouldn't do it but i could hope.  they call me mr compassion.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 09:13:40 PM »
what i will never understand, is why people like that get married in the first place. ??? i guess they think they can change. =|

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 09:15:23 PM »
i don't see why she didn't book with the kids. he did pull down some coin though
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:54:04 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 09:26:05 PM »
\
...any woman that can kill her kid is crazy/mentally deficient...

Or possibly evil.  In the case my prof was telling about, the woman had (not so) cleverly planned a way to get insurance money. 

Sometimes, people do bad things because they are bad.  This whole myth that if you have something terrible you must be crazy is problematic for two reasons:  First, it is factually incorrect.  Plenty of people commit horrific crimes without suffering from some kind of pervasive mental illness.  Second, it encourages the perpetuation of stigma for people with mental illness, the vast majority of whom are no more violent than the rest of the world, and often less violent.  Hard to get up to too much trouble when you are so wrapped up in your own misery you can't cope with ordinary life.