Author Topic: 2010 Kia Sedona reviews  (Read 31717 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: 2010 Kia Sedona reviews
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 04:19:54 PM »
Keeping the 4Runner.  We may trade in the Camry if they offer enough.  My commute is short enough now that I can tolerate the 4Runner's lack of fuel economy.  If I go that route, I'll drive the 4Runner for a year or so and then buy a little gas sipper for myself.

If we keep the Camry, then we'll have 3 vehicles until the Camry wears out.  The 4Runner isn't going anywhere as long as it's safe to drive.

Chris

Good choice.  Even when it's skidding sideways down a mountain, that 4runner is a good truck  :-*
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2010, 04:26:24 PM »
Yup.  That's why I'm buying the 4Runner's big brother as my next vehicle. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2010, 09:36:50 PM »
Good choice.  Even when it's skidding sideways down a mountain, that 4runner is a good truck  :-*

I got it straightened out didn't I? :D

Yup.  That's why I'm buying the 4Runner's big brother as my next vehicle. 

I thought you were looking at the FJ Cruiser.  I thought that was built on the same platform of the 4Runner, just not as gussied up as the 4Runner (kind of like Nissan's Pathfinder and less fancy Xterra).

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 09:51:38 PM »
G98,

How about one of these for durability......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3uvx93QV1U
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2010, 10:14:22 PM »
I read in a recent edition of Popular Mechanics that either the 2010 or 2011 4Runners are going to be much more off-road capable.  Apparently, they had been softening them up over the years, giving them a much more car-like ride and it's off-road capabilities had suffered, so they're going to be bringing it back to its truck roots.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2010, 10:59:38 PM »
My 1958 Chevy truck had an oil filter similar to that ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 10:22:06 PM »
We have two kids in car seats and a dog.  When we travel, our Camry or our 4Runner is packed to the gills.  We can't get a normal sized adult in the back seat with the two car seats.  We take a lot of road trips.

We're planning on having the third bench seat of a minivan to offset the loss of seating from the kids' seats.  The space around the seats will give us plenty of space so we don't feel like we're packed in like sardines. 
Well, I checked out some minivans, read a bunch of specs, asked a couple people (I only know a few folks who drive minivans).

Kia Sedona would be a good front-runner at their price point. Very safe. Lots of standard options. Tows 3500 lbs with the V6. Recommending something else would really just be my bias for particular companies.

I'd say take one out for a spin.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 06:46:34 AM »
Skip the minivan and get a Ford Expedition....women love the size & power....and men love the fact that it preserves their last hold on testosterone....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 06:54:50 AM »
I'd say take one out for a spin.

We did.  See first post.

We drove a 2008 Honda Odyssey last night.  "Certified" used Hondas come with a 7yr/100k mile warranty, which I didn't know.  We liked the Honda a bit more, but even a 2008 with 35k miles is going to run as much as a new Kia.  That's not necessarily a problem, but it does show the premium you pay for the Honda.

Two of SWMBO's friends have Odysseys or used to and they both highly recommend them.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 07:49:14 AM »
My mechanic is concerned that you will need that kia warranty and parts that are not under warranty will rust off.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

erictank

• friends
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2010, 08:10:25 AM »
We did.  See first post.

We drove a 2008 Honda Odyssey last night.  "Certified" used Hondas come with a 7yr/100k mile warranty, which I didn't know.  We liked the Honda a bit more, but even a 2008 with 35k miles is going to run as much as a new Kia.  That's not necessarily a problem, but it does show the premium you pay for the Honda.

Two of SWMBO's friends have Odysseys or used to and they both highly recommend them.

Chris

My wife has a 2003 Odyssey.  It's pretty good, for a minivan, excepting the motor mounts (she broke two a couple of years ago, and one of the replacements might be going again).

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2010, 11:12:27 AM »
  We liked the Honda a bit more, but even a 2008 with 35k miles is going to run as much as a new Kia. 

You like both vans.  One is NEW with zero miles and a 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty.  The other is USED with 35K miles.  And they're the same price.  That decision should be a no-brainer.

I probably sound like a Kia salesman at this point.  :lol:

Quote from: Harold Tuttle
My mechanic is concerned that you will need that kia warranty and parts that are not under warranty will rust off.

My Dad and Stepmom also drive Kias, a 2002 Sorento and a 2007 Amanti.  No rust.  No parts falling off.  Never needed any repairs except of course parts that normally wear out such as brakes.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2010, 01:01:56 PM »
We did.  See first post.

Chris
http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/29/resale-value-autos-cars-forbeslife_cx_jm_0229resale.html?

Price is a double edged sword. You like both vehicles equally, Kia now makes cars that are actually reliable.

If you plan on keeping it ten years, and think the chances of an accident are substantially lower than the average person, go with the Kia. Otherwise I would go with the Honda, all else being equal.

It is easy to offer a ten year warranty on a vehicle that loses 75% of it's value at 5 years. I don't know about the odyssey, but hondas are 55-65% of value at 5 years.  This is a huge difference when you consider the difference in sticker price.

All cars are horrible investments, some are just less horrible than others. 

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2010, 01:06:29 PM »
Skip the minivan and get a Ford Expedition....women love the size & power....and men love the fact that it preserves their last hold on testosterone....  =D

Which confirms my theory that SUV's are just station wagons and minivans for guys who aren't willing to admit they've reached the station wagon/minivan stage of their life.  :P

On the subject at hand, my girlfriend drives a Kia ... Rondo I think?  It's like an oversized station wagon / undersized minivan.  So far it's been a pretty good little vehicle.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2010, 01:24:22 PM »
Price is a double edged sword. You like both vehicles equally, Kia now makes cars that are actually reliable.

If you plan on keeping it ten years, and think the chances of an accident are substantially lower than the average person, go with the Kia. Otherwise I would go with the Honda, all else being equal.

It is easy to offer a ten year warranty on a vehicle that loses 75% of it's value at 5 years. I don't know about the odyssey, but hondas are 55-65% of value at 5 years.  This is a huge difference when you consider the difference in sticker price.

All cars are horrible investments, some are just less horrible than others.

Hondas do have better resale value, but if you keep your cars for a long time, that's a non-issue. 

The Sedona has a five star crash rating in all categories, and is loaded with airbags.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2010, 01:36:56 PM »
At our rate of driving, we'd run the Kia warranty out in about 5 years. 

In all honesty, we drove both and like the Odyssey better.  It has a few features that the Kia didn't and felt more "solid" than the Kia. That's not a knock against the Kia at all though.  The Kia seems to be a nice enough vehicle.  We could be happy with either one, but happier with the Honda.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »
Hondas do have better resale value, but if you keep your cars for a long time, that's a

An important point that is often overlooked.  I never buy vehicles, firearms or houses with an eye towards resale value.  I still have a 1986 Mazda that I bought new off the lot, have firearms that I bought back in the 80's and have been in my current house eleven years.  I figure I am at the mercy of too many uncontrollable factors to give much weight to resale value.  Some of my friends that were into flipping houses have seen that up close and personal now.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2010, 01:38:52 PM »
Hondas do have better resale value, but if you keep your cars for a long time, that's a non-issue. 

The Sedona has a five star crash rating in all categories, and is loaded with airbags.

if you keep it a long AND nothing happens. That resale value can be the difference between a car being totaled when you hit a deer, or being repaired.  In this case it is the difference between an unplanned relatively minor expense, and an unplanned major expense.

In the long run both vehicles will probably cost the same.  You wanna pay up front, or as you go? Or you could bet on beating the odds. I'm not judging, just saying. I know that the instant I make the risky choice something bad will happen, that is just my luck.

I can't begin to tell you how hard it was for me to find my civic when I was buying. Used Hondas at that time had a turn around time of one day, including the 10+ year ones with ~200k miles.

Need cash quick for, let's say, emergency medical bills? You got it within a week.

I can't speak for the kia, never been in the market for one. In the past, the less risk is with Honda. Just my opinion.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2010, 01:52:17 PM »
Low resale value is only a problem is you buy new. I buy almost everything used, so I loves me some low resale value. :D

And if you would have to sell your car to cover expenses maybe you should be getting by with a mechanically sound beater until you've got an emergency fund stocked up.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »
For what it's worth, when we looked up the ratings on mini-vans, not a one had high marks in reliability.  If they are going to be in the shop all the time, warranty or not, that's a pain,  I'll pass.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2010, 05:33:45 PM »
For what it's worth, when we looked up the ratings on mini-vans, not a one had high marks in reliability.  If they are going to be in the shop all the time, warranty or not, that's a pain,  I'll pass.

I noticed that too.  However, minvans tend to be more feature laden, so there is more to go wrong.  Doesn't matter though, we need the space and flexibility.

Chris

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2010, 05:43:28 PM »
I wish they still made more family friendly 9 passenger wagons. I loves me some station wagon. :D

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2010, 07:25:52 PM »
At our rate of driving, we'd run the Kia warranty out in about 5 years. 

In all honesty, we drove both and like the Odyssey better.  It has a few features that the Kia didn't and felt more "solid" than the Kia. That's not a knock against the Kia at all though.  The Kia seems to be a nice enough vehicle.  We could be happy with either one, but happier with the Honda.

Chris

I also do not wish to knock at Kia, but if you are prepared to have almost zero resale value on the Kia then go for it. Bottom line is that people buy them for the warranty.

IMO a 7 year old odessy with 135k miles is probably going to be worth more than a 5 year Sedona with 100k miles.

So either be prepared for a larger down payment on the replacement, or higher trade in value.

Like I said, you might end up spending the same amount of money either way.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2010, 07:27:32 PM »
not that i've drove one, but the new VW van looks the best, out of all the current vans to me. =D i would have to say get the one that drives the best to you, i hate a poorly driving vehicle. [tinfoil]
I wish they still made more family friendly 9 passenger wagons. I loves me some station wagon. :D
it's a conspiracy, wagons are to fuel efficient. [tinfoil]

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2010, 07:30:43 PM »
I also do not wish to knock at Kia, but if you are prepared to have almost zero resale value on the Kia then go for it.

Couldn't he just, you know, buy used and take advantage of that "near zero resale value"?  ;/