Author Topic: My Hero for the Day: Senator "Tough S--t"  (Read 2090 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
My Hero for the Day: Senator "Tough S--t"
« on: February 26, 2010, 04:44:56 PM »
Sen Jim Bunning, my hero for the day.

http://www.redstate.com/hogan/2010/02/26/senator-bunning-i-object/

Friday, February 26th at 12:00PM EST

Last night, while most Americans were watching the Olympics, Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY) was standing strong for the American people on the floor of the United States Senate. Oh, it won’t be portrayed as such - believe me. But when no other Senator, including anyone in Republican leadership, would stand up, Senator Bunning took to the floor to object to a unanimous consent request to call up and pass the House-passed extension of a number of expiring so-called “stimulus” and other benefit programs, because Bunning dared to ask the simple question of how these extensions would be paid for.

Now, to be fair, Senator Bob Corker did come down to help Senator Bunning - basically saying he would stay on the floor to help defend Bunning’s right to object, and he deserves credit for that. But Bunning was the loan objector. And he did so because these “temporary” extensions have been rolling now month after month with no effort to pay for them. Moreover, Democrats are designating the extensions as “emergency” spending so that they can avoid complying with the very “PAYGO” requirements for which they love to path themselves on the back. Included, of course, is the unemployment insurance extension as well as an extension for COBRA coverage, but in addition, are extensions of the highway trust fund, satellite television and other expenditures.

Senator Bunning’s refusal to acquiesce caused quite a few heated exchanges on the Senate floor, according to Politico, culminating in Senator Bunning muttering “tough sh*t” from his Senate seat after being berated by Democrats for a few hours. But possibly the most absurd was this classic lunacy by Senators Durbin and Rockefeller:

“It is simply unfair for one senator to attempt to hold the Senate hostage on this issue,” Durbin said. Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) told POLITICO that it’s “just awful,” and that Bunning’s objection could turn off televisions for millions of households with satellite dishes, since the package has provisions dealing with that issue.“You’ve got to be pretty mad about something to stop that,” Rockefeller said of Bunning.

This is how Senators think. You see, the way the Senate works is that the powers-that-be package a whole host of big spending or nefarious policy into a bill that is wrapped in a bow of something like “unemployment insurance” or has some title that no one could possibly object to, and then you ask unanimous consent to call it up and pass it. No debate. No discussion. Just waltz on down to the Senate floor and ask consent - and when a Senator says, “hmmm… I dunno, perhaps we should have some debate about spending another 10 or 20 billion dollars every 30 days, and perhaps at least think about a way to pay for this stuff,” he is excoriated for “hating” people and left out to dry by friend and foe alike because no one has the damn nerve to stand up and say, “you know what, you’re right.” Instead, business-as-usual in the Senate is to talk about “my friend” from wherever, and to let federal spending balloon out of control while you laugh in the cloakroom or run to catch your flight to another junket somewhere.

Reasonable people can disagree about whether the programs should be extended. But this is just a small glimpse into the sickness infecting Washington and the U.S. Congress - that legislation is somehow supposed to just be put on automatic pilot and anyone who dares to raise a question is “holding the Senate hostage,” or might, heaven forbid, be declared a member of the “Party of No.”
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: My Hero for the Day: Senator "Tough S--t"
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 05:05:47 PM »
he is excoriated for “hating” people

I hate people that want free satellite TV on my dime, too.

Good for him.  Wish McCain or Kyl were there to back him up.  Guess it must have been past McCain's warm milk and bed time.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:13:57 PM »
This is how Senators think. You see, the way the Senate works is that the powers-that-be package a whole host of big spending or nefarious policy into a bill that is wrapped in a bow of something like “unemployment insurance” or has some title that no one could possibly object to, and then you ask unanimous consent to call it up and pass it. No debate. No discussion. Just waltz on down to the Senate floor and ask consent

Not quite.  I believe it is possible to pass a bill or add an amendment via a voice vote but that wasn't what he was asking for here.  You need unanimous consent to even take a vote/end debate.  If one single senator wants to hold out Reid has to file for a cloture vote which is how you break a filibuster.  That has to "ripen" for 30 hours before the cloture vote can be taken unless there's unanimous consent to skip it.  Then another 30 hours before the actual vote can be filed for unless there's unanimous consent to skip it.  Then another 30 hours for it to ripen unless there is unanimous consent to skip that, then another 30 hours for the actual vote to finally occur.  These are the Senate rules (though I may be mistaken about that 30 hour gap between cloture vote and filing for the actual vote) and you don't get to skip them unless everybody agrees to do it.

Which they do, or at least did, the overwhelming majority of the time.  Going through the whole process takes a full 5 days which means with our 2 track Senate they could only address 2 items a week if they always held to it.

Bunning is just looking to get his name in the news by being a dick to his co-workers.  He succeeded.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:21:54 AM »
But Bunning was the loan objector.
Hilariously funny, punny, typo.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »
Bunning has nothing to loose, as he is not running for reelection.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »
Bunning has nothing to loose, as he is not running for reelection.

So is that why he let lose his tung ?  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 11:18:54 PM »
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/25479.html

GOP gets break as Bunning bows out
By: Manu Raju and Josh Kraushaar
July 27, 2009 04:28 PM EST

Sen. Jim Bunning’s decision to bow out of his tough Senate race gives the GOP new life in Kentucky, as the irascible senator succumbed to a quiet pressure campaign by top Republicans to push him out of the 2010 midterm elections.

In a parting shot at Senate GOP leadership, Bunning appeared to accuse fellow Kentuckian and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of freezing him out from the fundraising he would need to mount a serious Senate campaign. Bunning said that Washington Republicans had “done everything in their power” to force him out.

“To win a general election, a candidate has to be able to raise millions of dollars to get the message out to voters,” Bunning said. “Over the past year, some of the leaders of the Republican Party in the Senate have done everything in their power to dry up my fundraising. The simple fact is that I have not raised the funds necessary to run an effective campaign for the U.S. Senate.”

Bunning’s money numbers were remarkably weak leading up to this announcement — he raised just $567,000 through the end of June, a paltry sum for a sitting senator up for reelection and a far cry from the more than $21 million McConnell spent in his 2008 race. In recent months, Bunning has blamed McConnell for drying up funds for him back home.

McConnell had stayed silent about Bunning’s reelection hopes, declined to offer Bunning his endorsement, gave no staff help and didn’t donate a dime to Bunning’s struggling campaign. Some believe that McConnell actually prolonged Bunning’s presence in the race, since he sought to defy the powerful minority leader and continue his bid for a third term.

But in the end, McConnell, the ultimate Senate insider who is highly regarded in the state’s political establishment, trumped the often cantankerous junior senator. And McConnell now has the competitive race he wanted instead of a campaign heavily favoring the Democrats.

McConnell’s actions “made it harder for Bunning, because he had to give in to McConnell,” said Al Cross, a state political expert at the University of Kentucky. “If McConnell didn’t take the stance he did, you wouldn’t see as many Bunning contributors giving to [Trey] Grayson.”

In a statement, McConnell made no mention of the controversy and said he was “honored” to work with Bunning for two terms.

“His steadfast focus on serving the people of the commonwealth has been as unwavering as his conservative ideals,” McConnell said. “Kentucky is a far better place because of his service. While he may have decided not to run for reelection, I am confident that he will continue to be a valued member of our conference and contribute in meaningful ways for years to come.”

With that praise out of the way, McConnell can now get to work keeping Bunning’s seat in Republican hands.

Bunning’s retirement immediately transforms the Senate race, setting up a competitive GOP primary between two candidates: Grayson, the Kentucky secretary of state, and Rand Paul, the son of Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas). Cathy Bailey, the former U.S. ambassador to Latvia and wealthy former Bush fundraiser, is also considering the race but hasn’t decided whether to run.

Grayson is expected to announce his campaign kickoff later this week.

The Democrats are set for their own primary battle between state Attorney General Jack Conway — who has raised $1.3 million and has strong support from Louisville and most of the state party establishment — and Lt. Gov. Daniel Mongiardo, who narrowly lost to Bunning in 2004.

“Now it’s gone from going to a seat where it was a guaranteed Republican loss, and it’s now a tossup. We now have a 50 percent chance of winning,” said a senior GOP aide. “Politics is about more than convictions. It’s about being able to win.”

Kentucky traditionally votes Republican at the federal level, but Democrats still hold a significant registration advantage statewide. The state is home to many conservative Democrats who are pro-gun and anti-abortion and are skeptical of excessive government involvement. If dissatisfaction grows with the Obama administration’s spending and energy proposals — which would affect the coal-producing state — Republicans will have a better chance at keeping the seat.

A recent poll by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm, found Conway leading Bunning 42 percent to 33 percent — but he was ahead of Grayson by only 4 points, 37 percent to 33 percent. Mongiardo led Bunning 43 percent to 36 percent and trailed Grayson 40 percent to 36 percent, according to the poll.

Privately, top Republicans feared that the 77-year-old senator’s erratic behavior, poor fundraising and rock-bottom poll numbers would ensure he would have lost reelection in 2010. But the senator had for months resisted the pressure campaign and became increasingly confrontational with McConnell, who learned about the news just moments before Bunning’s announcement.

And Bunning had sent a number of mixed messages himself, especially when he blessed Grayson’s decision to form an exploratory committee to consider a bid.

“The fact that he put a competitor in the race against him and gave his blessing against him dramatically altered the fundraising dynamic in the race,” said Scott Jennings, a Kentucky-based GOP strategist who served as senior adviser to McConnell’s 2008 campaign. “Until then, he had no one against him, but when he put someone else in the race, that was what did him in. He hastened his own departure from the race.”

Bunning, one of the most conservative members of the Senate and a former Hall of Fame Major League Baseball pitcher, seems to be going out on his own terms, blasting away at his party’s establishment.

He said that he had always stood for Republican principles and cast votes thinking how they would affect Kentuckians, “not my next election or invitation to a D.C. cocktail party.”

In fact, Bunning spent his final weekend before announcing his retirement at the Baseball Hall of Fame ceremonies in Cooperstown, N.Y.

“The Republican Party needs more people with strong principles and convictions that can stand up to the temptations of political power that have engulfed so many of our leaders after they arrive inside the Beltway,” Bunning said.

And that stance could carry a risk for the GOP, said John David Dyche, a political expert in Kentucky who recently authored a biography on McConnell.

“Bunning leaves the race angry at McConnell, which poses some risk of a split within a Kentucky GOP that can ill afford it,” Dyche said.

© 2010 Capitol News Company, LLC
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.