Author Topic: Teach me how to drive standard, will ya's?  (Read 10086 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Teach me how to drive standard, will ya's?
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »

Every time I succumb to that mindset, I stall the truck.  I don't know if that indicates some problem or peculiarity with my old beater, or if you just happen to be wrong.   =)

Yeah, I wouldn't say "almost stalls" unless you're trying to get started on a very slippery surface.  Of course, neither do you want to rev the engine way up and slip the clutch a lot.  It's really quite simple - sorta like walking, or eating soup without spilling it down your front.  One of those rite of passage things on the way to becoming an adult.  =)

Something has to be wearing for the pads to have lasted this long.  It's not as if it doesn't stop.  Doesn't matter.  It's getting pads and rotors this Spring.  I have the parts, just waiting for time.

I had the rear drum brakes done this Fall.  The drums were getting thin, as were the pads.  It failed inspection because there was such a lip caused by wear they couldn't get the drum off for inspection.  I took it home and got it removed and saw I had a largish ridge at the edge of the drum and the shoes were less than 1/8" thick and cracked.  New drums and shoes and I'm all good for the rear.

Hmmm, well that's sort of a false economy - the pads so hard that they wear out the drums and rotors  ;/

Normally, the drums and/or rotors don't get worn badly unless you run the pads/shoes down to the rivets.  And even then you can usually have them turned once or twice.

But what do I know about Jap vehicles ?  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2010, 01:16:14 PM »
Hmmm, well that's sort of a false economy - the pads so hard that they wear out the drums and rotors  ;/

Normally, the drums and/or rotors don't get worn badly unless you run the pads/shoes down to the rivets.  And even then you can usually have them turned once or twice.

But what do I know about Jap vehicles ?  :P

Even in cases where the brakes don't last this long, my experience with Japanese vehicles is you normally replace the rotors with the pads because they start out so thin.  You probably couldn't get much use out of them once turned (they'll warp easily).

I've never seen anything like this before.  If anything, I expected the brakes to wear faster in a truck compared to a car.  I'll gladly replace the rotors though.  They are original parts with 175k miles and have at least 115k with no maintenance (new pads, turning of rotors, etc).  I can't complain about that level of longevity.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 05:30:19 PM »
Even in cases where the brakes don't last this long, my experience with Japanese vehicles is you normally replace the rotors with the pads because they start out so thin.  You probably couldn't get much use out of them once turned (they'll warp easily).

I've never seen anything like this before.  If anything, I expected the brakes to wear faster in a truck compared to a car.  I'll gladly replace the rotors though.  They are original parts with 175k miles and have at least 115k with no maintenance (new pads, turning of rotors, etc).  I can't complain about that level of longevity.

Chris

Well, thanks - I guess I learned something new about imported vehicles. :) 

Our gmc suburban has over 220K miles and the rotors and drums are fine (and original) AFAIK.  Unless I ignore worn out pads or shoes, I expect the rotors and drums to outlive the vehicle.  Heck, I expect the engine to outlive the vehicle.  Just today, I was wondering if it would be practical to swap out the rusting body with a p/u cab and flatbed  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2010, 11:58:15 PM »
Wellll I don't suck. I think it's easier in the vehicle (thanks for friends) I'm trying out since it's a '96 and you can feel what it likes pretty well.

Once I get comfortable enough to test drive something from a lot, I'll find out if it's something I can become adept doing.

But I don't suck!