Author Topic: Teach me how to drive standard, will ya's?  (Read 10065 times)

Ryan in Maine

• friend
Teach me how to drive standard, will ya's?
« on: February 28, 2010, 01:51:23 PM »
10 years ago I could drive a standard. Since I've owned my own vehicles, they've all been auto. I've forgotten how to drive a standard.

I'm looking at vehicles, hoping to upgrade by the end of spring. If I don't get a truck, I'm getting something good on gas. However, through my searches I've found significant savings by opting for the standard trans vs. the auto.

Right now I'm checking the Honda Fit and Kia Soul if I buy new.

So uh, how should I go about relearning this? Buy the car and then practice? Or try to sucker a friend into letting me take the wheel of their vehicle?  =D

Marnoot

• friend
Re: Teach me how to drive standard, will ya's?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 02:12:43 PM »
I'd wager you'll pick it back up again pretty easily. The longest I've gone without driving a stick-shift is two years, but I picked it right back up other than perhaps a couple jerky starts. Don't know if it's quite like riding a bike, but if not I think it's pretty close. The muscle memory sticks around pretty well.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:27:51 PM »
10 years ago I could drive a standard. Since I've owned my own vehicles, they've all been auto. I've forgotten how to drive a standard.

Just jump back in behind the wheel.  It'll come back to ya.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 02:33:09 PM »
I agree with Marnoot and Lee, it comes back easy.  Not that I've ever had much chance to forget.  =D

The wife refuses to drive anything but a stick.  She claims the brakes are too touchy on an automatic.  Ride with her one time in an automatic and you won't argue the point.  But, be sure to belt up and don't be holding any hot coffee.  :lol:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 02:38:55 PM »
She claims the brakes are too touchy on an automatic.

I have the same opinion. I can always brake much more smoothly in a standard, must have something to do with the constant power to the wheels in an automatic.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 02:39:46 PM »
save a clutch, =D

:lol:

edit: and really, that's why they make rental cars. [tinfoil] :angel:

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 02:44:34 PM »
I agree with Marnoot and Lee, it comes back easy.  Not that I've ever had much chance to forget.  =D

The wife refuses to drive anything but a stick.  She claims the brakes are too touchy on an automatic.  Ride with her one time in an automatic and you won't argue the point.  But, be sure to belt up and don't be holding any hot coffee.  :lol:

DD

sounds like she's Engine braking, something some automatics just can't do. =) i hate a car that won't. makes driving to much work. [popcorn] if you want an auto, you might test drive a subaru. i know there are others, but i don't know which. :facepalm:

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 03:27:40 PM »
Test drive or rent something with a manual. 

Save the wear on YOUR clutch..  >:D

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 04:00:19 PM »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »
Should be some good tips here:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=6411.msg100911#msg100911

It's been almost three years now, and I still don't stick it very well.  Going back to the auto-trans, one of these days.  Maybe after I teach the wife how to drive this one.  She'll burn up what's left of the clutch/tranny anyway.   =D
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 05:20:56 PM »
Try driving a log truck in the mountains for practice  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 05:57:25 PM »
Try driving a log truck in the mountains for practice  :P

Or coal bucket in eastern KY..

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 06:12:01 PM »
save a clutch, =D

:lol:

edit: and really, that's why they make rental cars. [tinfoil] :angel:

Not many rental cars are standard transmissions.  Because too many people don't know how to drive them nowadays.  Hell even the military has transmorgafied into an all automatic fleet. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 06:48:40 PM »
Not many rental cars are standard transmissions.  Because too many people don't know how to drive them nowadays.  Hell even the military has transmorgafied into an all automatic fleet. 
if your in a tourist town, look for the place renting old jeeps =D

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 07:21:09 PM »
The term "standard transmission" means "as opposed to optional transmission" and as such has been the wrong term to use for at least 40 years.  Today we have manuals and automatics, but either one can be standard, depending on the make and model of car.

Sorry, just a pet peeve.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »
Teaching the kids how to drive a manual transmission was a real pain.  It took me forever to get across to them that the clutch was not an on/off switch.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 08:06:03 PM »
Teaching the kids how to drive a manual transmission was a real pain.  It took me forever to get across to them that the clutch was not an on/off switch.

Imparting the point of "Ease it off"  is darned near impossible..

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 08:11:10 PM »

That was never the hard part for me.  I drove my manual for a couple of weeks, before I realized that, when I stalled it, I just wasn't stomping the gas pedal hard enough. 

Strangely, I don't recall ever being told not to baby the accelerator, but that was the key to the whole thing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 08:43:16 PM »
That was never the hard part for me.  I drove my manual for a couple of weeks, before I realized that, when I stalled it, I just wasn't stomping the gas pedal hard enough.  

Strangely, I don't recall ever being told not to baby the accelerator, but that was the key to the whole thing.

Just don't overdo it like I did when my dad was teaching me to drive a manual.  I gave it way too much gas and slipped the clutch, before I let off I had smoke pouring out of the console!  As I recall his exact words after the fact were "Well, that took about 10,000 miles off of the clutch!"

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 08:56:40 PM »

Just don't let them use first gear until they get the others down smooth.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 09:01:27 PM »
Just don't let them use first gear until they get the others down smooth.

Yep.  sound advice.

myrockfight

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 09:13:28 PM »
Or coal bucket in eastern KY..

Or a 1960's Chevy 2 Ton Dump truck with Hi/Lo Range tranny and airbrakes. Ohh. Almost forgot. No speedo, tachometer, or any other guage for that matter. Actually, no dash at all and springs popping out of the bench seat and most of the stuffing missing/falling out from mice nesting.

That was my first experience with air brakes and a Hi-Lo range tranny and a non-synchronous gear set.

I was told to get from point A to point B, follow so and so. Well so and so decided to tear ass out into the country in front of me since he A)had a better/newer 2-ton and B) he already had been driving 'em for years. I was sixteen driving that POS which didn't have any bushings left in the control arms or any other part that would dictate decent handling of any sort.

Boy did I give that SOB a cussing when we got to the field we were going to. His dad was there (their farm) and he was trying to get me to hush up and smooth things over as quietly as possible.  =D LOL. He was crapping his pants with the cussing I was giving him, praying to our good Lord his Dad didn't hear any of it. He was notorious for pushing all the equipment too hard therefore breaking everytihng and creating a lot more risk that could have easily been avoided.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 10:57:26 AM »
Or a 1960's Chevy 2 Ton Dump truck with Hi/Lo Range tranny and airbrakes. Ohh. Almost forgot. No speedo, tachometer, or any other guage for that matter. Actually, no dash at all and springs popping out of the bench seat and most of the stuffing missing/falling out from mice nesting.

Sounds like most of the trucks that I've driven, except not that new  =D

I used to work for some people that had a bunch of old 1940s pickups and trucks that they used to haul wood and trash at their mountain cabin resort.  Most of them had little or no brakes and the standard stopping procedure was to double clutch into low and cut the ignition   ;)

No doors, either - so if that didn't work you just jumped  :lol:

But reliable ... I still remember sweeping the snow out of the cab, and starting up an old straight six chevy dump truck at twenty below (no block heater of course). Choke, pump the gas pedal, stomp the starter pedal - grunt, grunt, grunt, chug-chug-chug....  :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 11:32:59 AM »
My problem was always going back to an automatic.

After trading in a Nissan Altima with manual for a Jeep Cherokee, I was about a block away from a red light and wanted to coast, and reflexes took over and I wound up smashing the brake all the way down with my clutch-foot which had been itching for over a week "for something to do".

Scared the bejeezus out of Mrs. Dual when I did that.  :lol:
I promise not to duck.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »
If you are one of those people that drives with one foot on the gas and the other foot on the brake, you are toast.

The term standard transmission came from the time when that is what came standard on the car.  The auto transmission was an option.  I am sure that was before your time.  But, look at the window sticker of a new car, most any brand, and see what transmission is on the optional equipment list.....chris3