Author Topic: Making Money  (Read 1216 times)

Art Eatman

• friend
Making Money
« on: January 18, 2006, 06:08:54 AM »
Back in the 1990s, Lord Rees-Mogg co-authored a book, "Blood In The Streets".  The title was taken from a Baron Rothschild comment (IIRC) that the time to buy is when blood is running in the streets, insofar as stocks.

A commentary within the book noted that if a man marries and stays married; gets a job and works at moving upward in that organization or moves to better jobs, he will create wealth for his old age.  Regular savings is part of this, of course.  After accruing savings, better investments can then be made.

Now comes an "official" study, telling us what we already know:

http://start.earthlink.net/article/nat?guid=20060118/43cdcb50_3421_1334520060118-1087178224

Quick read; worth the time.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Making Money
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 08:55:40 AM »
Now comes an "official" study, telling us what we already know:
So it took a "scientist" 20 years and untold amounts of grant money to come up with

"Divorce looks like one of the fastest ways to destroy your wealth,"

Give me gas money to the courthouse and 20 minutes outside the alimony clerk's office and I could come up with this.

The one thing I do take out of this that is useful is "look before you leap". Too many people nowadays think of spouses as disposable. Much to the detriment of both parties.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Making Money
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:56:58 AM »
"Divorce looks like one of the fastest ways to destroy your wealth,"
Yup. knew that... Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Paddy

Making Money
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 10:35:48 AM »
heh. Reminds me of Larry the Cable Guy, who said his brother called him up.  Seems his brother asked his wife what she wanted for their anniversary.  She said "a dee-vorce".  Brother didn't know what to do, as he wasn't planning on spending that much this year.

OTOH, divorce hasn't hurt Donald Trump, although he probably had pre-nups.

Although marriage can be a two edged sword, think of it as part of your investment portfolio.  Give it your time and attention, and it will pay dividends. Smiley

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Making Money
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 10:38:29 AM »
Children will drain you dry too, probably more so than a divorce would.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Paddy

Making Money
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 10:42:08 AM »
Yeah, but at least they'll take care of you in your old age.

heh. hehe.  Tongue

bermbuster

• friend
Making Money
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 10:45:15 AM »
Quote from: RileyMc
Yeah, but at least they'll take care of you in your old age.

heh. hehe.  Tongue
weeelllll.....maybe, maybe not

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Making Money
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 10:56:33 AM »
Well this is a cheery thread for the young folks!  

'Marriage and rugrats 'll suck ya dry, sonny!'

But after a first date I had last week, singlehood forever sounds pretty darn nice. All the shooting school vacations I could dream of...
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Making Money
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 11:04:55 AM »
Well I am getting married this fall, we both decided that we don't want kiddos. We aren't against kids, just that how we are that kids would suffer from lack of attention from the parents and we would be frustrated that we couldn't live how we want too.

We have decided to live in a house that is below our means (not a crap hole but also not of those $250k cookie cutters) and spend the difference on traveling and doing other things that we wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

crt360

• friend
Making Money
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 12:02:01 PM »
Prenups are a good idea.  I prepare one for a client every once in awhile.  The couples that use them always seem to be older, wealthier, and much smarter than your average almost married folks.  Some were burned in previous marriages gone bad.  A lot of people are afraid they'll scare off their fiance if they bring up the topic, but if couples are not ready to seriously talk about their financial future and agree on some things then they ought to postpone the wedding.
For entertainment purposes only.