Author Topic: Modding a 20 pin computer PSU for 24 pin mobo? Dangerous?  (Read 4752 times)

zahc

• friend
Modding a 20 pin computer PSU for 24 pin mobo? Dangerous?
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:09:46 PM »
I have a DFI RS482 mobo, fanless 8400 videocard, 90w AMD 3700 with giant Zalman, and no power supply. Actually I have a 250W PSU from an old dell, but it does not have the right plugs. The main plug is only 20 instead of 24 pins (I think). So the mobo will not even post.

I looked up the plug wiring diagram and it seems like the 4 extra plugs are voltages that could be got by splicing the current lines and branching them to the leftover pins. However, I'm sure those extra, redundant pins were added for a reason, and I don't want to even risk starting a fire or anything.

I'm not sure what PSU to get otherwise. I have a SeaSonic SS-300SFD in my other system and I've been impressed so I think I will get another one of those unless there is a similar-priced, quite, quality PSU I should get instead.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: Modding a 20 pin computer PSU for 24 pin mobo? Dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:16:50 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=5004&Description=antec%20psu&name=%2425%20-%20%2450
Even I can afford a PSU. :|
I'm sure it can be done, but this would be easier/safer.

And also, I didn't link you Antec because they're super cheap, I linked them because they're really good PSUs that are also fairly priced.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »
Mabs speaks true.  Go with a new Antec.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:26:30 PM »
I really need something quiet, and I would prefer something small-form-factor. I have a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151089 seasonic psu in my main system that is both, and once I shorted out a fan cord until smoke was rolling out of it, and I've been using for over 2 years since then, so before I spend 30 on an antec I'll just get another one of those. The advantage of the Dell PSU is I have it right here. My budget is basically nothing. Now that I have a homemade case I'm approaching a nexus of spare parts, but now I find out my PSU doesn't have the right cord.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 11:12:56 PM »
They make PSUs that make noise?  I'm running a 650W Antec and I've never heard it.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:22:36 PM »
Uh, the one you are looking at is $50.  There are two Antecs on Mabs list at $30 and one at $40.  I don't believe I'd spend the extra on the smaller form factor when it doesn't gain one much in the long run.
Antecs are both quiet and very reliable.  I like the thermally controlled fans in some of them, as they only come on when the PS is working hard.  That feature caught me the first time I saw it; made me think a fan had failed.
I use Antecs almost exclusively in my client's machines, both for new-builds and replacements of failed power supplies.  I have never had a return.
But, it's your build.  Good luck and have fun with it, either way.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 11:41:30 PM »
Just to answer your first question. I have spliced in and made it work before. I did it as a temp fix so I didn't test it to see how long it would last.

All you can do is try. I have a whole stack of junk around here and sometimes I just need to make something work.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 12:01:54 AM »
Oh, and be careful with the pinout of that old Dell power supply.  There was a time when Dell used proprietary, non-ATX pinouts, but used the same motherboard connector as a standard ATX supply.  More than one Dell mobo was fried by someone replacing a dead Dell power supply with an after-market unit.
I would imagine some folks fried non-Dell motherboards using Dell power supplies, too.
Dell started doing this in 1998 with some of their machines and continued up through about 2005 if I am not mistaken.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 01:11:57 AM »
Whatever you do, just don't let the magic smoke escape!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 01:16:54 AM »
Whatever you do, just don't let the magic smoke escape!
As a last resort you can inhale it to save it.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 07:52:45 AM »

ROTFLMAO!!

Well played.

Chris

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 12:05:27 PM »

=D =D =D

EER...snort...snort...hit this!  ;)
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

KPT

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 07:04:11 PM »
Newer Antec is junk, don't get one. I've had two fail on me.

The 20 vs 24 pins is not why your mobo isn't posting. It doesn't matter.

My HTPC had an Old Antec Truepower 480 watt. Mobo is 24 pin, PS is 20 pin and it runs just fine. Has an AMD Phenom 710 X3 @ 3.1 Ghz, 8800GTS 640 meg and 4 gigs ram.

I am very pleased with the PC Power and Cooling 750 watt powersupply in my server. It replaced a 500 watt Antec that only failed enough for it to reboot randomly.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 10:00:10 PM »
Well I hope my mobo isn't fried. I have been told that Dell PSUs can have nonstandard power connector pinouts that can fry your mobo even if the plug fits.
--Tallpine