Author Topic: Who is the "head admin"  (Read 20292 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Who is the "head admin"
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 05:05:22 PM »
fistful

He said "top admin", not "scapegoat".

Granted, sometimes it's difficult to tell the two apart ...
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 05:39:59 PM »
I actually AM the top admin, because I'm black-mailing Oleg and he does whatever I say.

On the subject of thread-locking, I think it would be best if the mod that posts the padlock is one that hasn't been involved in the discussion, or at least one that isn't too deep into it. 

Now let me go set Oleg straight on that...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »
...and I like to have an image of a pretty flower posted along with the last post, so that everybody knows we still wuv them.

And don't forget links to discount coupons for a hot-oil massage by one of the Swedish bikini team babes. 

Thanks, bunch.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 05:58:53 PM »
There's not a "top administrator," but there's mods that are definitely more active, like Ben and JJ, and then there's guys like me and Ex-MA Hole.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 06:11:18 PM »
There's not a "top administrator," but there's mods that are definitely more active, like Ben and JJ, and then there's guys like me and Ex-MA Hole.

Then we have me...

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »
I have no problems with the moderators on this board. I think they generally are the kind of folks "Armed Polite Society" deserves. I thank them for their efforts on our behalf to keep the forum focused and polite.
[/brownnosing mode]

I, too, have seen the occasional topic "locked with the last word" and I think that's unseemly.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 06:46:37 PM »
just pick a mod who hasn't pissed you off lately and shoot away
Why would I shoot at a mod who hasn't pissed me off lately? I'd be more inclined to shoot at one that has! >:D

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 07:04:33 PM »
And don't forget links to discount coupons for a hot-oil massage by one of the Swedish bikini team babes. 

Just one of them? 

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 07:17:02 PM »
I have seen this problem elsewhere (no place in particular) and it seemed an abuse of power.  At least a conflict of interest.

Might I suggest: if a moderator who has been actively participating in a discussion decides that it needs to be locked, he gets a disinterested mod buddy to doit, or if things are really out-of-control, he locks it without *any* closing comments and get another moderator to review it (mod#2 can then add whatever snarky closing statement seems necessary, or possibly even reopen the thread because mod#1 overreacted)

I don't think it's really an issue here very often.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:35:29 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 08:04:34 PM »
I'll try and walk the fine line of giving my opinion as both member and mod, which I'm sure will get both members and mods mad at me. :)

I don't agree with moderators getting the last word in with a thread lock in a heated thread they've been heavily participating in, or have a known strong opinion about. I've said as much in the past in the moderator forums. That said, mods are only human. Personally, I have had to learn to take a step back in global warming related threads. I have a strong opinion on the subject (anti AGW) and in the past I had to be very careful regarding locking those threads. I've had members go into PM war mode with me and other moderators after I've locked one of those threads, including demands that I unlock the thread so that they can get the last word in, then I was told I was free to lock it again. Oh, and that's after I've been called a Nazi, among other choice descriptors.

If I feel a thread is getting out of hand that I have a strong opinion on, I now post in the Moderator forum and ask other mods to check the thread to ensure I'm not being biased, and/or will ask them to "take over" that thread so that I basically become a non-mod in it.

As far as locking threads with the last post calling out a poster: Sometimes it is not justified to do so. Other times it is absolutely justified to lock the thread with a hint, or an outright statement related to who got it shut down. I think you guys can generally tell which threads those are -- they usually go quickly downhill only a few posts after the post in question, which is usually outrageous enough to generate one or more "reported post" emails to staff by the membership. And we do use PMs to warn members, especially if they're new, or we think they may simply not have known better, or maybe have had a bad day. You usually see a public statement when we know the poster should have known better.

Which leads me to my final points. We are all, mods and members, different. One person may report a post that doesn't bother another person in the least. Mods have to walk a fine line between addressing the concerns of members who report a post or a thread, and members who think the thread is rolling along just fine. It basically ends up with us not pleasing anyone completely.

Personally, I consider myself a pretty liberal moderator. I'm on this forum pretty much every day, but I usually don't have cause to step in to give warnings in threads or to lock them. This leads some members to think I'm a crummy mod because I let things go too far (and yet others will say I'm too strict). Other mods may be much stricter and lock more threads. This leads some members to think they're crummy mods because they're too strict.

It comes down to the fact that we are all a myriad of personalities and opinions. When APS first started, we were probably a tenth the size we are now, and we were basically just an "offshoot thread" of THR. The small membership was pretty darn like-minded, and Oleg's original vision was that those few of us who were mods at the time would basically just be the maintenance crew and that membership would be largely self-moderated using the "Art's Grandma Rule". It worked pretty well until we started growing and gaining a much more diverse membership that was no longer as like-minded. We had to start actually moderating or else turn into ArfCom.

We still work under the philosophy though, that all members are moderators in their own right who should try to uphold the tenets of Armed POLITE SOCIETY. All members are encouraged to try and save threads they see going South. That doesn't mean jumping in and barking at people -- but if you, for example,  see a thread on "best 230gr cast bullet for .45ACP reloading" turn into "1911's are for doodyheads", maybe you can jump in and actually post on a recommended bullet to get the thread back on track.

Mods can't be everywhere at once 24/7, so we HAVE to rely on members to not only treat one another with respect, but also sometimes not be overly thin-skinned. As I like to say, you don't HAVE to post in a thread you don't like -- you can always just drive on. Not getting worked up about a thread and moving to another subject, or just taking a break from the computer, would probably reduce thread locks by 50% and be really beneficial to the blood pressure. It's just the Internet. :)

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 08:33:56 PM »
Given all that I am now having trouble deciding, which caliber for mods, .45 or 9mm?

:angel:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »
I think they prefer .45 more.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 08:55:30 PM »
 :lol:

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 08:55:50 PM »
.50 bmg....

On second thought this thread is drifting into the wrong direction...

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 09:14:54 PM »
Aww, come on people! When I see a locked thread I click on it to see who precipitated the locking and what the last word was. Don't spoil my fun!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

taurusowner

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 10:06:02 PM »
It's just the Internet.  =)

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 11:05:25 PM »
Ben is a Nazi?  ???

I have had a busy couple of days and I'm just lost around here.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 11:44:01 PM »
Now this

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=23865

was a Good Call.

A box of .45 to the Mod, since that's what they like.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 11:49:21 PM »
That said, mods are only human

that's unfair to the AI  community
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 11:56:08 PM »
that's unfair to the AI  community

Don't talk about Fight Club...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 11:57:48 PM »

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2010, 12:01:52 AM »
>The rest of you need not turn this into a mod bashing thread.<

Man... take ALL the fun out of life...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2010, 12:05:28 AM »
I actually AM the top admin, because I'm black-mailing Oleg and he does whatever I say.

Dude, you can't blackmail the shameless!

I own this forum but most of the decision-making has been delegated to the capable moderator team. I show up when major policy decisions have to be discussed.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2010, 12:07:11 AM »
You have a capable moderator team?  Why don't we ever see them here?  

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2010, 12:21:06 AM »
there mostly nikons(or was that canons, can't remember) there AI has achieved self awareness and taken on modding APS [tinfoil]