Author Topic: Modern Warfare 2 is free this weekend on Steam.  (Read 4417 times)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Modern Warfare 2 is free this weekend on Steam.
« on: April 09, 2010, 05:16:48 PM »
Don't know how many of you guys are Steam gamers but I thought I'd throw this out there.
Ever since this game was announced the developers have given me many many reasons to not want to buy and play it.  I've tried it on someones Xbox but not yet tried it on PC, and I'll try anything that's free and not harmful (here's hoping) to my health or psyche.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

mellestad

• friend
Re: Modern Warfare 2 is free this weekend on Steam.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »
SCAR= =D

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 06:28:58 PM »
I don't have any experience with the SCAR in MW2, but it is good fun in Killing Floor.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »
SCAR+Thermal=awesome pseudo-sniper rifle.
Dual G18s = CQB PWNage.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 06:57:09 PM »
I downloaded the the demo for Modern Warfare 1 earlier today.

Since my only computer (basically a business laptop) has trouble running it, I'll have to pass.  =(
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 07:20:40 PM »
Dual G18s = CQB PWNage.
Dual G18s?  Seriously?   [barf]
I don't think I'm going to enjoy this.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 07:26:51 PM »
Dual G18s = CQB PWNage.

I just like the SCAR because the iron sights are actually something I can use.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 08:07:46 PM »
Dual G18s?  Seriously?   [barf]
I don't think I'm going to enjoy this.
Yep. Quite a few peeps using marathon (always run) with dual G18s.
Much more effective than dual P90s (terrible range).
The L85 is great, especially with the foregrip.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 12:16:41 PM »
Blargh.
So far, a few gripes:
Matchmaking.  Matchmaking is the absolute worst direction gaming can take.  Not just PC gaming but gaming in general.  It is backwards evolution.

Why can't I turn off the music?

Matchmaking.

Goofy weapons.  I bore of games where you hide in a corner, unload your weapon into a guy oblivious to you until he hears your gun fire for a few minutes.  He finally finds you and one or two rounds from his weapon kills you.  But this could be because of the matchmaking lag, hard to say.

Melee dominance.   This is a trend I've noticed in most games lately.  All melee weapons are superior to firearms, even dinky little throwing knives.  I was having a flashback to my CS days when I came across a guy with a shield, "What a noob, all I gotta do is get around him, that's easy...", but no, he can stab you while hiding behind the shield.  And stabbing always kills instantly. 

Seriously, why can't I turn off the music?

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 12:51:21 PM »
Gave it a brief try. Lots of fun, though the lag makes me wonder if the complete lack of dedicated server support was a good choice...
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 12:57:04 PM »
Gave it a brief try. Lots of fun, though the lag makes me wonder if the complete lack of dedicated server support was a good choice...

It was for their bottom line.
Look, tiny text!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 01:11:31 PM »
I have no idea what they thought matchmaking only would be a good idea.
So far I am not enjoying the game.  It's too uninspired and generic.  That wouldn't be bad by itself but the few annoyances I listed above make it a really un-fun experience.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 07:40:22 PM »
Any of you guys play this on PC?  I'd like to get into a game with people who sort of worked like a team.
I don't think I've ever seen you guys mention Steam though.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 12:10:35 AM »
the Q3 gauntlet rules all, but really in ctf we used it to choose which team gets first pick. [popcorn] used to have all gaunt battles to. was fun. :angel: then again i'm good with it. =D hey anybody play quake live? is free all the time right now. [popcorn]
http://www.quakelive.com

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 11:19:15 AM »
the Q3 gauntlet rules all, but really in ctf we used it to choose which team gets first pick. [popcorn] used to have all gaunt battles to. was fun. :angel: then again i'm good with it. =D hey anybody play quake live? is free all the time right now. [popcorn]
http://www.quakelive.com

After Quake and Unreal Tournament Goaty Edition, everything else is just an expensive copy.  =|
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »
Gee, Unreal Tournament.  I wasted a significant portion of my childhood on that game.  Anyone ever play Infiltration mod for it?
I've never heard of Quake live...might give it a shot.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 12:36:28 PM »
I've been loving playing Battlefiled BC2 on the Xbox.  Lots of easy fun.  Kind of thinking I might skip the whole MW2 thing.  Waiting for that new western to come out....  >:D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 12:53:12 PM »
I get most of my games through steam, before DDO, I was a huge daily Left 4 dead player.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 01:16:39 PM »
I've been loving playing Battlefiled BC2 on the Xbox.  Lots of easy fun.  Kind of thinking I might skip the whole MW2 thing.  Waiting for that new western to come out....  >:D
You'd do good to skip MW2.  It's extremely mediocre.  Nothing special about it at all.
I kind of liked BC2, but not $50 like it.  It's not Battlefieldy enough for me.  Hopefully BF3 will be better.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 01:46:34 PM »
I think the Battlefield and Battlefield: BC series appeal somewhat to two different types of gamers. I played the BF: BC2 demo on the 360 and it was fun enough, but I'm really looking forward to getting BF3 on the PC. I love the huge maps and large numbers of people, it just fits my style of play better. Then some I know really like the smaller maps and faster action of the :BC series.

MW2 was pretty mediocre. I got it from Gamefly for the 360, found the single player alright, but not great. Tried the multiplayer a couple times and wasn't a big fan. The matchmaking was a terrible idea.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 02:22:36 PM »
I loved Battlefield 2 on the PC, so if BF3 is alot more like that, I'll enjoy it more than BF-BC2. 

Whats the "matchmaking"?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 02:26:14 PM »
http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=17397

Google gave me the answer.  Makes me go  :facepalm:
Glad I didn't pony up the coin for that game.  I'll stick with BFBC2 until BF3 comes out.  And Redemption....  :cool:
JD

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 03:01:38 PM »
With PC games there are computers set up as dedicated servers that players browse through and connect to.  It's basically a machine on a good internet connection with powerful hardware designed for multiple players to connect to and send data to them very quickly and efficiently.  It mostly translates to low ping and low instances of people getting shot on your screen but not dying.
With consoles, you have matchmaking, where you click a button, the game tries to find people for you to play with, it picks one person's machine to use as a host (the server) and makes you wait 60 seconds before the game starts.  If the person you're playing with has a crappy connection, everyone suffers.  If the host gets pwned and decides to rage quit, depending on the game everyone either disconnects or someone else becomes the host (basically interrupts your game either way).  On PC matchmaking (L4D's matchmaking is different from MW2's) if the host has a crappy PC that's even more suffering on part of the players.

Protip:  If you're playing on Xbox 360, every game you play online is with matchmaking.  On PC, L4D and L4D 2 uses matchmaking to find players, but connects you to dedicated servers.  I have no idea if that happens on the consoles.

There is no doubt about it that it is absolute backwards evolution for gaming.

Bad Company 2 DOES feel very console port to me, probably another reason I don't like it as much as BF2.  Stoked for BF3, though, I know better than to anticipate a game these days.  I agree that it's a totally different game, more like a spin-off of the BF franchise.  Like what Renegade was to C&C.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 03:18:55 PM »
Its working for me so far just to play BC2.  The Xbox thing is new to me anyways, there are 10 year olds with years of muscle memory that I just don't have yet.
JD

jamis-jockeys-cabin-boy

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 09:22:48 PM »

Do you need me to come over and help you take car of that for you? =D
the queens queen of fail