Author Topic: Eyewitness accounts from OK Corral found.  (Read 3632 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Eyewitness accounts from OK Corral found.
« on: April 23, 2010, 07:53:33 AM »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126178583

Clerks Find Papers From 1881 Gunfight At OK Corral

by Peter O'Dowd

You may have watched the Hollywood version of the shootout at the OK Corral, but you probably haven't seen the original testimony from eyewitnesses who were in Tombstone, Ariz., on that infamous day in 1881.

Historians say documents from the coroner's inquiry into the gunfight were lost until now.

The documents are handwritten. Time has turned the papers a pale yellow, and for decades, they had been gathering dust in the Cochise County courthouse. Then, on March 31, clerks Bonnie Cook and Michelle Garcia found an envelope in a storage closet.

"It was buried in a corner," Cook said. "We dug it out. It was dirty."

Inside were 36 pages: firsthand accounts of the legendary shootout on Oct. 26, 1881, between the Earp brothers and a band of cattle rustlers. In movie-script fashion, one witness recalls the moments just before the gunfire broke out.
Accounts Of A Famous Gunfight
Read one of the OK Corral papers discovered recently in an Arizona courthouse (PDF).

"Mr. Holliday was standing next to the buildings," the witness is quoted as saying. "On the inside he had a gun under his coat. He had a long coat. The way I noticed the gun is that his coat would blow open, and he tried to keep it covered."

State librarian GladysAnn Wells says it's a huge discovery.

"I would bet you your next lunch, if you were to handle them and touch them, with your white gloves on, that you would feel the magic of history," she said.

Cochise County Superior Court Clerk Denise Lundin says she did have an old photocopy of these documents from the 1960s, but the replicas were hard to read. She says they failed to capture the intimacy of the court reporter's hand. The real thing is held precariously together by an old version of Scotch tape -- thick, beer-colored strips.

"They certainly weren't put together in any kind of way that anyone would want to properly preserve them," Lundin said.

Wells said the fragile paper will be stabilized and scanned. Within a week, the first pages should be published on the Internet for history buffs all over the world to see.

Now I'm going to have to watch Tombstone again.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: Eyewitness accounts from OK Corral found.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 08:11:45 AM »
That is pretty leet.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:19:27 AM »
I wonder how faithful the movie depictions are to these original accounts?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:33:42 AM »
not very  i read a corners report that implied someone behind and above the clantons doing some shooting
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 11:11:13 AM »
I just wanna see that triple-barrel 'gauge...

Blog under construction

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 11:50:44 AM »
Reads like an illiterate inter-tard from TFL... =D

Quote from: 1880's inter-tard
and there was 3 other gentleman who some one told me were the Earps - Mr. Holliday was next to the buildings on the inside he had a gun under his coat he had on a long coat the way I noticed the gun was that his coat would blow open and he tried to keep it covered.  I stood in the door until these gentleman passed and until they got ot the second door and what frightened me and made me move back I heard this man on outside looked at Holliday and I heard him say let them have it and Doc Holliday said Al right then I thought that I would run and run towards the back of the shop but before I reach the middle of  the shop I heard shots I don't know how many.  I don't know who said give it to them I can not describe the party it was one of them that was with Holliday.

Can't read the chickenscratch signature, but it looks like "****** King."

Sounds like Ike Clanton's account, to me.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 06:02:35 PM »
Over at THR Lee Lapin posted some accounts written by Wyatt Earp.  Good reading.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton