Author Topic: Some people really are that dense.  (Read 8578 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Some people really are that dense.
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »
Just talking to some folks I know who are going to Mexico for a miracle cure they read about on the interwebz. 

For the record their "malady" is mild athsma made worse by the not one, not two, not three, but FOUR ozonators they have running in their home.  Just walking into their home makes my eyes water and gives me a wracking cough.  Again, something they read on the intertoobz told them these gizmos would cure all their ills.  Never mind that I've given them data showing just how irritating ground level ozone can be to respiratory tissues (also never mind how lethally toxic it is in even small concentrations).  Medical geniuses, these.

But that's not the reason I'm doing the  :facepalm:

They are dead set on going to Old Mex for their "miracle cure" (which could easily be handled by turning off the ozonators, getting some decent A/C filters, and get the inhalers they refuse to use because it's a "big medicine conspiracy!")  I keep telling them to stay north of the border for their own safety.  I just showed them this story on Fox News...

!!! WARNING !!! Do not follow the link if you are in any way squeamish.  It is very, very graphic.

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/world/2010/04/24/drug-lords-gun-police-officers-mexico/

Their response?  "Oh, those people are just after the police.  They won't hurt us, we're Americans. (my emphasis -Brad)  Besides, the hospital told us they have security that can handle anything.  They wouldn't tell us that if it wasn't true."

[barf] :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:    [barf]

Keep in mind these are the same folks who went to Mexico for cheap dental work and ended up in the local ER with a massive mandibular infection... where they discovered the implants she'd gotten weren't quite the surgical stainless they were claimed to be.  Who did they blame?  The local ER.  Claimed they were making the whole thing up to get more money.  (Never mind the huge lump on your jaw and the rust in your mouth. Sigh...)

Sometimes you just have to let idiots be idiots.  Doesn't make you shake your head any less, though.

Brad

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:18:40 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Some people really are that dense.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 03:47:36 PM »
You have convinced me of your thread title. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 04:13:06 PM »
Maybe there's something to this Darwinism stuff.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 06:39:28 PM »
Lubbock's a bad place for asthma when the cotton gins are running  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 06:53:05 PM »
Last week it was pollen.  Highest counts in a decade.  Mild, moist weather.  Trees are loving it.  Weeds, too.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »
For asthma, can't you also get air filter type services that install big activated carbon filters and stuff that pull out just about all the stuff in the air?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 08:47:23 PM »
For asthma, can't you also get air filter type services that install big activated carbon filters and stuff that pull out just about all the stuff in the air?

Oh, sure, if you listen to those charlatans at the AMA.   ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 09:59:18 PM »
Multiple ozonators, in a house?!?!  :O Sweet merciful crap...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 10:07:10 PM »
Multiple ozonators, in a house?!?!  :O Sweet merciful crap...
Yea, I had to look up what those are...
That's...funny.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 10:13:14 PM »
Double tap.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:49:48 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 10:15:40 PM »
I took the back grill off one of my 19" box fans and stuck a furnace filter under it.  Helps a lot with sneezybots, just sitting on the floor in the living room.  I clean it out periodically with compressed air and about once a month I replace the filter (needs a bit of trimming after you re-mount the grill).  It's pretty quiet running at low speed.  I leave a hole in the filter to allow cooling air to be sucked over the motor.

Ib I don't rud it I ed up talkig like dis.

I am told, but don't know for sure, that "Endust" contains the same resins they use to trap dust in automotive air cleaners.  Never tried it, though.  Just the plain filters seem to work pretty good, judging by the crap that gets blown out under my air blast.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:28:28 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

taurusowner

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 10:30:32 PM »
Kinda OT, but I just find it very telling that all the police have to wear masks at the crime scene out of fear of them or their families being killed by the cartels.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 10:40:47 PM »
Please tell me they don't have kids. Or if they do, they're grown, and out of the house.  =(
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 11:04:03 PM »
Please tell me they don't have kids. Or if they do, they're grown, and out of the house.  =(

What good would them being out of the house do? Then their genes just spread.

Oooooh, you were worried about the children's well-being. Never mind.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 02:36:07 AM »
FYI - most of those "ionic" get-your-air-miraculously-clean gizmos generate some level of ozone (while being technically different, ionic purifiers and true ozonators both produce ozone, just at differing degrees).  Some are nothing more than straight ozone generators - great for killing mold and bacteria, but also great for attacking the soft tissues of the lungs and upper respiratory tract.

If you plug in something that supposed to clean up the air and there's a sharp, metallic or "bleachey" smell like you get right after a big electric arc or a very close lightning strike, it's ozone. (the smell is airborne nitric acid that's a byproduct of the ozonation process).

They have four true ozonators, big ones, set to Kill.  I kid you not, just walking into their house will get you coughing, sneezing, and wishing for the biggest bottle of Visine you can fine.  It's brutal.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 02:59:41 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 02:46:49 AM »
My wife used to have some pretty intense allergies.  At one time I had thought of purchasing an ozone generator, but thought better of it after reading about "black wall" effect. 
Later, I began to read of people that would develope sores and other nasty issues.

We decided on a Honeywell HIPA filter and it's just fine. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 06:34:41 AM »
For the record their "malady" is mild athsma made worse by the not one, not two, not three, but FOUR ozonators they have running in their home.  Just walking into their home makes my eyes water and gives me a wracking cough.  Again, something they read on the intertoobz told them these gizmos would cure all their ills.  Never mind that I've given them data showing just how irritating ground level ozone can be to respiratory tissues (also never mind how lethally toxic it is in even small concentrations).  Medical geniuses, these.

Uhm...  Was there something they were trying to kill?  Only use I'm aware of for ozone generator is for sterilizing water or whatnot.  If it is sufficient in the air to kill bad things, it is sufficient to very harmful.  If your eyes/lungs were attacked that quickly, you need to stay 50m away from that house as it can cause permanent lung damage.

I never understood people who intentionally disregarded anything logical and believed any mysticism at the drop of a hat.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 12:15:34 PM »
Uhm...  Was there something they were trying to kill?

No telling. Probably an ad they saw for a miracle air cleanser that claimed to do everything but wipe your nose.  If more is better then too much is just right so they bought four.

They do this kind of hokey crap all the time.  It's a matter of good intent run amuck, untempered by any sort of actual knowledge or common sense.  They're always into a new food, supplement, or product that's going to keep them healthy, happy, and free of all manner of malady/condition to the age of a couple hundred.  You'd think they would finally catch on, but no.  They once bought tubs of some vile-smelling cream that caused both of them to break out in a rash.  Didn't even blink.  Claimed that some particular food had made them overly sensative to it.

I stopped asking questions years ago.

Funny thing is they aren't all that into organic.  While they do eat organic on some things (usually the Miracle Food of the Month) they aren't doggedly bound to it.  Of all the people I'd think would be, these two are it.  *shrug*

Brad
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »
Logic enters nowhere into the whole situation. You have a paranoiac belief system - a faith similar to most religions... And the baseline is that "U.S. Medicine Is Bad."

Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 08:32:36 PM »
Claimed that some particular food had made them overly sensative to it.

I stopped asking questions years ago.

Food sensitivity is a very handy malady, for some.  Subjective and difficult to disprove.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 08:45:40 PM »
Butte. Arthritis. RADON.

Radon tourism. Yeah.  =|

People really are that dense.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 11:45:32 PM »
Butte. Arthritis. RADON.

Radon tourism. Yeah.  =|

Five bucks says the same people who go there to intentionally breathe the stuff will be the same ones to raise holy heck if they even think there's a radon problem in their house. (and who will probably insist there is even if a radon test comes back negative)

I've had people who insisted houses were infested with mold even when a mold spore analysis comes back showing only background levels of all expected strains and varieties.  It couldn't be the blowing sand and gin dust that was making them sneezy, coughy, and watery-eyed.  It was mold, MOLD!!! I tell you!  Black mold!!  Oh My God We're All Gonna DIE RIGHT NOW!!!  How can the seller do that the liars the cheats the sorry SOB's there gonna get someone killed someone needs to REPORT THEM TO THE POLICE!!

No, I'm not being silly.  That's as direct a quote as I can recall.  As for their actions and mental state, words simply do not suffice to draw the proper mental picture.

Brad
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 11:48:22 PM »
Butte. Arthritis. RADON.

Radon tourism. Yeah.  =|

Ah yes..  the Merry Widow Health Mine outside of Butte on I-15...  Helping Darwin for 50 years!  http://www.merrywidowmine.com/en/about.html

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 12:43:46 AM »
Look at the bright side, in just a decade or so they won't have to travel south of the border for quack "miracle whip cures" and shoddy dental work. 
Thanks to Obamacare we may just have that here.  [popcorn]
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 12:48:30 AM »
Look at the bright side, in just a decade or so they won't have to travel south of the border for quack "miracle whip cures" and shoddy dental work
Thanks to Obamacare we may just have that here.  [popcorn]

They have plenty of that in the dentist office at MCRD San Diego, in my experience...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.