Author Topic: Chin straps in WWII  (Read 4995 times)

taurusowner

Chin straps in WWII
« on: April 25, 2010, 02:14:34 AM »
I just watched all of Band of Brothers again, and I'm up to episode 6 of The Pacific.  And I just have one question: did soldiers/marines in WWII EVER use the chin straps on their helmets?  I only ask because in the modern Army, they are required and regulations aside, it's just plain smart.  Running through a building in occupied France can't be all that different from one in Baghdad.  Riding around in a Jeep can't be all that different from a HMMWV.  Helmets bounce off when you're in combat unless they're secured.  So why is it ever single depiction of soldiers or marines in WWII shows them with their helmet straps undone?

/just irked me

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

taurusowner

Re: Chin straps in WWII
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 02:28:31 AM »
I was thinking something similar, but I can't see how a chin strap would detract from filming.  It's not like they obscure the face.  And the makers of BoB/The Pacific are alleged to go to great lengths to makes things realistic; why screw that up?

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 07:14:20 AM »
I remember hearing a long time ago that soldiers of that time believed that if a round or some shrapnel hit your helmet, the force would transfer down your neck and snap your vertebrae.  Thus, keeping the strap loose would knock off the helmet but leave the soldier alive.  If this sounds like BS, it did to me, too, so it doesn't surprise me that it was never official doctrine.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 08:08:24 AM »
The chin strap on the old steel pots did not go on your chin, it went under your jaw.  If you fastened it, it chafed.  A lot.

The steel pot was designed to protect you from shrapnel.  It evolved from the (literal) tin pots the Brits wore as overhead cover in WWI, dropping down to offer some ptotection to the side of the head.

The Kpots do offer ballistic resistence, so I'm told.  As such, one would want it to remain firmly in place so that it could provide that protection, as opposed to the deflection of spent shards of metal the old steel pots were good for.

As required by law and custom:  In my day .......

you could wash your feet in your helmet
you could dig a foxhole with your helmet
you could cook a meal in your helmet
you could take a dump in your helmet

while these young whippersnappers can't even ...................

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 01:13:40 PM »
I've always wondered about that, too.  I kind of thought it was because of blast effect lifting your helmet and maybe taking your danged fool haid off with it.

I also thought about that when fastening my cycle helmets (motor- and bi-).  At speed on a motorcycle, if it got snagged in a high-speed dump, it might do the same thing.

But I figured the probability of it getting snagged and taking your aforesaid danged fool head with it was much lower than the probability of your aforesaid danged fool head getting bashed by a rock, so I just shrugged and buckled it and said a Hail Mary and drove off.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 11:25:54 PM »
Haven't any of you ever watched Sands of Iwo Jima? It is all explained in the movie. :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams