Author Topic: Heads up people, someone tried to set off a bomb in NYC  (Read 6051 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Heads up people, someone tried to set off a bomb in NYC
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:08:17 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8656651.stm
I've got this weird feeling about this...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Heads up people, someone tried to set off a bomb in NYC
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 01:19:10 PM »
What fun.  There is speculation that this event is linked to the recent South Park depictions of Mohammed.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
What fun.  There is speculation that this event is linked to the recent South Park depictions of Mohammed.

What depiction? Everything was bleeped or blacked out.

"OMGWTFBBQ!! They thoughts abouts drawing teh grate profit moohahmeed!!! Cut there infeedel headz off!!!eleventyone!1"

Religious fanaticism is really starting to bore me.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »
It's an early claim, and possibly (probably?) bogus.  But it sure would make things interesting if it were accurate.  From Fox News:
A monitoring group said Sunday that the Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the bomb but the report could not be immediately confirmed by Fox News.

The story is here.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »
If it is a major terrorist group, I'm surprised it took this long. Seems fairly simple to rig something up and make it go poof. Wouldn't take much to shut down a major US city. We aren't equipped for it and we just aren't used to it.

A few car bombs here. A few attacks alla DC Sniper there. Five or six guys and a few thousand in financial backing could shut NYC down tight if they were halfway intelligent.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 04:39:10 PM »
...if they were halfway intelligent.

If that were the case, they would keep their relationship with their deity to themselves and stop trying to force it down the craw of everybody else.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 04:50:13 PM »
If it is a major terrorist group, I'm surprised it took this long. Seems fairly simple to rig something up and make it go poof. Wouldn't take much to shut down a major US city. We aren't equipped for it and we just aren't used to it.

A few car bombs here. A few attacks alla DC Sniper there. Five or six guys and a few thousand in financial backing could shut NYC down tight if they were halfway intelligent.
As was proven by this event - and it didn't even explode, yet it shut down Times Square for a couple of hours. Couple of pounds of mere black powder exploding around a city would probably bring it to a complete stop for quite some time.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 05:44:36 PM »
Mid 40's white guy seen leaving the truck.  Blaming the tea parties in 3...2...1....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »
Nah. The Tea Party doesn't hate NYC. They hate the Government. Unless MSNBC got that wrong.  [popcorn]
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »
Mid 40's white guy seen leaving the truck.  Blaming the tea parties in 3...2...1....
Feels a bit too convenient, doesn't it? [tinfoil]

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 06:05:59 PM »
Nah. The Tea Party doesn't hate NYC. They hate the Government. Unless MSNBC got that wrong.  [popcorn]

Won't stop them from connecting the two.  Joe Stack wasn't a tea partier, and they made that connection within hours anyways.  Facts are overrated.

Feels a bit too convenient, doesn't it? [tinfoil]

Very much so, but I try not to jump to the conspiracy conclusion too quick personally. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 10:01:17 PM »
The blame starts at about 1:00 in this clip . . . only it's radical Christians, not tea partiers . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onQMXkp_8mE
 [popcorn]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 10:18:52 PM »
I was watching Fox this morning. Smells a little fishy, seems a little too tidy. But of course I reserve judgement.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 11:22:38 PM »
I was watching Fox this morning. Smells a little fishy, seems a little too tidy. But of course I reserve judgement.

Why, you white male, you sound like a suspect. Everyone ELSE knows that of course a white male Tea Partier/Christian/Radical Neocon did it!!!111!!!!!!

;/

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 12:14:40 AM »
Test results late Sunday showed that it was indeed fertilizer — but the New York Police Department's bomb experts believe it was not a type volatile enough to explode like the ammonium nitrate grade fertilizer used in previous terror attacks, said police spokesman Paul Browne.

Clearly those bomber guys were not very smart.

More here.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 01:50:43 AM »
Oh lots of time for the Left to stop the November Nightmare...any way possible...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 04:42:04 AM »
The blame starts at about 1:00 in this clip . . . only it's radical Christians, not tea partiers . . .

We so crazy!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 08:27:45 AM »
It's an early claim, and possibly (probably?) bogus.  But it sure would make things interesting if it were accurate.  From Fox News:
The story is here.

According to some other reports, this is one of those groups that regularly takes credit for attacks whether they had anything to do with them or not. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 08:39:26 AM »
According to some other reports, this is one of those groups that regularly takes credit for attacks whether they had anything to do with them or not. 

And apparently without enough brains to pick a successful one.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 03:14:04 PM »
Clearly those bomber guys were not very smart.

Not smart enough to not stop and change shirts in front of a camera, either  ;/

Clearly a white radical leftist.  TPers would be smart enought to make a better bomb  :P

JOKING!  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 09:47:03 PM »
NEW YORK – Authorities have identified the buyer of the SUV used in a failed Times Square terror attack and are seeking him as a potential suspect, two law enforcement officials said Monday.

The buyer is a man of Pakistani descent who recently traveled to Pakistan. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the case is at a sensitive stage.... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100504/ap_on_re_us/us_times_square_car_bomb
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 09:49:21 PM »

Clearly a white radical leftist.  TPers would be smart enought to make a better bomb  :P

=D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 11:31:59 PM »
They have Pakistani Christian Michigan militia Tea-baggers now?   :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

red headed stranger

• friend