Author Topic: 8,120 ft  (Read 4156 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: 8,120 ft
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 01:47:06 PM »
Die, terrorists, die!

Damn fine shooting that would make any Marine proud to buy that Brit a beer!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 01:56:33 PM »
Nice shooting.

One of the comments, I lol'd:  HAX omg HAX.. Now the British are using aimbots?!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:57:15 PM »
amazing!  

firing an Accuracy International L11583 long-range rifle.

does anyone know the caliber offhand?

The shots -- measured via GPS

how do they measure distance via gps?  or did they measure after?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 02:03:16 PM »
Harrison learned of his record nine days ago, when he returned to England. In the weeks after his record shot, he suffered a minor gunshot wound and broke his arms when his vehicle hit a roadside bomb.

Doh.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:04:33 PM »
amazing!  

2nd question. I'm betting after.

First question. Looks like (according to Wiki) it's .338 Lapua:

In November 2007 the British Ministry of Defence (MOD) announced that their snipers in the Army, Royal Marines and RAF Regiment were to get a new rifle. Accuracy International would supply 580 L115A3 Long Range Rifles with day telescopic sights. The L115A3 is being supplied as part of a broader Sniper System Improvement Programe (SSIP) program which also includes night sights, spotting scopes, laser range finders and tripods.[11] The L115A3 rifle was first deployed to Afghanistan in May 2008.[10] Some features of the improved L115A3 include:

Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PM II LP telescopic sights;
Suppressors to reduce the flash and noise signature;
Folding stocks for better carrying in a backpack;
Adjustable cheek pieces for more comfort and better eye alignment with the telescopic sight;
Butt spikes (monopods) to aid stability during firing;
Adjustable bipods, which differ from the original Accuracy International bipod;
5 round box magazines.
The MOD claims a muzzle velocity of 936 m/s (3,071 ft/s) for the L115A3.[12] This implies the British military are using a high pressure load to attain this muzzle velocity. A reverse engineering simulation with QuickLOAD internal ballistic software predicted that a typical military .338 Lapua Magnum load using 16.2 g (250 gr) Lapua LockBase B408 bullets at an overall cartridge length of 91.44 mm (3.600 in) produces ≈ 460 MPa (66,833 psi) maximum piezo chamber pressure to achieve the claimed 936 m/s (3,071 ft/s) muzzle velocity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_International_AWM
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
amazing!  

There are some very nifty toys being employed that measure distance to targets with a laser, and then show your the gps coords of the target as well.  Snipers are getting pretty high tech.
They have some seriously cool shoot and scoot toys for target designation.  Shoot the laser at the target, get GPS coords, beam GPS coords to the weapon being employed, weapon is dropped, full on fire and forget. No need to hold the laser on target, no need for the aircraft to loiter, either. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 02:24:22 PM »
18 inches of torso represents 0.63 MOA at that range.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage