Author Topic: Oklahoma House Sends Open Carry Bill to the Governor  (Read 1328 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Oklahoma House Sends Open Carry Bill to the Governor
« on: May 04, 2010, 03:22:28 PM »
This will pretty much change a concealed carry license to a carry license, open or concealed. While not the best possible outcome it is a step in the right direction.
http://www.okhouse.gov/OkhouseMedia/ShowStory.aspx?MediaNewsID=3602

Lawmakers Vote to Allow Open Carry          

Capitol: (405) 557-7344

OKLAHOMA CITY (May 4, 2010) – State lawmakers voted today to allow Oklahomans with a handgun license to openly carry their weapon.

"The best offense is a good defense," said state Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs. "The most effective way to deter criminals is to let them know immediately that they will face lethal resistance if they attempt to commit a crime."

House Bill 3354, by Duncan, would Oklahomans to openly carry a weapon if they have obtained a handgun license/concealed carry permit.

"This legislation should actually reduce the chance of violence," Duncan said. "A criminal is far less likely to attack once he sees a citizen is armed."

Duncan noted concealed carry license holders have a proven track record of behaving responsibly. State records show that nearly 36,000 concealed carry licenses were issued in 2009 and just 105 licenses were revoked that year. Nearly 97,000 Oklahomans currently have a concealed carry permit.

"The average citizen can clearly be trusted to handle a firearm responsibly when it is concealed," said Duncan, an attorney. "Why would we expect that to change if they are allowed to openly carry? It is clear that you can trust the average Oklahoman to behave responsibly."

House Bill 3354 passed the Oklahoma House of Representatives on a 74-24 vote today. It now proceeds to the governor.

Lets just hope our kind of liberal, kind of wishy washy, kind of stumping for an Obama administration job Democrat Governor will sign it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: Oklahoma House Sends Open Carry Bill to the Governor
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:25:52 PM »
Oklahoma Democrats look like Libertarians next to most other Republicans.  :cool:

If it's signed, I will do a happy dance.

And continue to carry concealed.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:36:02 PM »
Oklahoma Democrats look like Libertarians next to most other Republicans.  :cool:

As will I but slightly more relaxed about it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 03:43:40 PM »
OMG!  Blood will be running in the (dusty) streets!   :O    ;/

OK still has a long way to go, IMO.   =| 

You can't even (legally) have a gun in your car without the permit, right ?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 04:22:38 PM »
Not quite, without a permit guns have to be unloaded and there are some odd requirements. Hasn't been an issue for the most part. I've never heard of someone getting jacked up for just having a otherwise legal gun in their car (doesn't mean it hasn't happend).

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 06:42:17 PM »

Same here. 

As will I but slightly more relaxed about it.

Same here.

But it also looks as if there is enough votes to override a veto if needed.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 07:25:24 PM »
I've never heard of someone getting jacked up for just having a otherwise legal gun in their car (doesn't mean it hasn't happend).

Well, if you drive the speed limit then I imagine that you could cross the panhandle without any problems  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin