Author Topic: 16y.o. builds device to detect nuclear materials for DHS  (Read 1165 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
16y.o. builds device to detect nuclear materials for DHS
« on: May 15, 2010, 02:03:06 PM »

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/4196822/homeland-security-looks-to-15-year-old-to-protect-country/

Any time you hear anyone saying "Young kids today are lazy, stupid, etc", remember this Taylor Wilson.  Good job, lad!
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

PTK

• friends
Re: 16y.o. builds device to detect nuclear materials for DHS
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 02:09:40 PM »
...huh. Simple and direct application of existing technology in a way not done yet, according to some quick research I pulled up. Good.

...and he has a fusion reactor. Built it at 14. Working fusion reactor. That MUST be the youngest individual to make a fusion reactor. Previous record was a 17 year old. Neat!
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 02:12:55 PM »
So in effect this kid possesses more advanced capabilities than the entire Republic of Iran? :D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 02:14:16 PM »
You think. You hope. =|
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 02:28:54 PM »
So in effect this kid possesses more advanced capabilities than the entire Republic of Iran? :D

Yes.

He's an American male geek.  Do not underestimate the power of such a creature, when they're trying to acquire "geek cred" or the interest of wimmin.  They will outperform multinational corporations, entire nations, or entire continents in this pursuit.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 02:54:55 PM »
And do it for under $500.  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 03:13:12 PM »
Wonder how potent those neutrons from it are though...
Look, tiny text!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 07:32:14 PM »
Wonder how potent those neutrons from it are though...

My guess is it'd be a fixed install.  Emitter one one side, big sheet of sealed lead on the other.  Swap out the lead every couple years, no biggie.  You'd want to run a Geiger counter over everything and do calibration checks every few weeks or months, though.  It shouldn't be an issue, but you should check anyways.