Author Topic: I Like a Drink as Much as The Next Guy, But...  (Read 15273 times)

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: I Like a Drink as Much as The Next Guy, But...
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 10:53:29 PM »
The Everclear I have is 95%...  ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 11:03:57 PM »
There are two different proof levels of Everclear. In AZ, when I worked at a grocery store, the little fifths were the %95, and the full size 750ml bottles were something less.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 11:13:08 PM »
i never had time to   notice the difference before the floor rose to meet me
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 12:59:42 AM »

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 01:10:27 AM »
Hence my cornfusement.  Thought it was comparing 95% to 95%...
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 01:30:13 AM »
ahh, that was taste. if there are different levels of "other alcohols"(sorry can't remember the real name) they can taste different. but i don't think many people drinking the stuff really care what it tastes like.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 07:52:28 AM »
Hmmm... It's after noon... A caucasian would be tasty...

If I had any Kahlua or any vodka...

And the proper beverage for rollin' a few is a Miller Lite.

Over the line!

They had a problem in the labs with the 100% going missing... Seems that folks were mixing it with diluted H20 and a mild citric acid solution on Friday afternoons...

I've gotta ask - how exactly does one dilute H2O?  >:D 

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 01:05:02 AM »
I thought I was hardcore when I placed vodka filled humidifiers strategically throughout the house during parties.

Now, that is a riot!  I certainly did miss out on some things when I skipped the "partying" stage of life, didn't I? :D

I'm polish, I drink my vodka neat.

I've been known to drink it chilled also (straight up).

Yes.  We don't keep alcohol around anymore(except Bailey's, for coffee or milkshakes, mmm), but when we did, I enjoyed the taste of Stolichnaya.  Seemed wasteful to mix it with anything :)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 01:09:21 AM »
Anyone else get annoyed that the whiny little girl was trying to belay her responsibility? "Oh, peer pressure, drinking culture, my actions aren't my own fault waaa waaa."  ;/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 01:26:53 AM »
you read the article? :O

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 06:48:05 PM »
I thought I was hardcore when I placed vodka filled humidifiers strategically throughout the house during parties.  These kids put me to shame...

What would a vodka filled humidifier do?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 07:13:33 PM »
I've gotta ask - how exactly does one dilute H2O?  >:D 

Depends on what you start with....

http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2010, 07:14:44 PM »

provides a means for inhilation of alcohol. I had a friend in school who would turn on his humidifier and do HW/study until he was drunk.

It won't do much if the room volume dilutes the vapor concentration. Therefore smaller rooms, or substantially full rooms should be used.

To be honest we mostly boiled alcohol, it was cheaper that way. Only a good idea if you don't have a gas range though.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 08:12:58 PM »

When I first read that, I thought it said, "what would a vodka filled humidor do?"

I wonder what one would do?  :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 08:18:40 PM »
Oops... Distilled...

One of the guys over at the cop college at EKU would fire up a bunsen burner with a pan of gasoline over it... People would freak out...

I dunno if I'd like the everclear/vodka humidifiers as party favors... Between designated drivers, people who don't drink, and people who know they shouldn't drink...

What does "proof" mean?

http://www.evanwilliams.com/about_faq.shtml?article=MjgzMHN1cGVyMjgyN3NlY3JldDI4MzQ%3D

And it has to do with shooting! What this neglects to mention is that the general use is moonshiners proving that their product was "gunpowder proof," in that it'd burn off, and THEN the gunpowder would ignite.

Blog under construction

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2010, 08:35:33 PM »
People usually walked home, if they didn't stay the night.

To be honest the punch was always too strong for most of them. Many would pass out early.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 10:40:44 PM »
About fifty years ago I had one-room lab for some experiments up at the University and the guy in the one-room lab next to me was doing some biological research.  About four o'clock every day we'd get together and yak, and of course he had carboys of absolute alcohol (100% alcohol, 200 proof) in his lab for drying the biological goo on his microscope slides. It is not the same as the brand-named "Absolut," no "e," Vodka

Absolute alcohol has a good affinity for water, because it will do what it can to get to about 95% alcohol, 5% water (as opposed to 100% alcohol, 0% water) but isn't corrosive to biological stuff.  So it's frequently used in bio labs for drying specimens without destroying them.

I didn't have to wonder too long about why he had so much absolute just for drying a couple of slides.

"Want a drink?" he asked, after our first two days of chatting.

"Sure, why not," I said, expecting him to pull a couple of bottles of beer out of the fridge.

But no.  He took two 500 ml beakers off the shelf, opened the fridge, took out a jug of orange juice, and not-quite-filled the beakers with OJ and cubes, also out of the 'fridge.

Then he reached up to the carboy and topped them off with absolute.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls.  Those "technical" screwdrivers had some cotton-pickin' kick!

See, pouring a jigger of 40- or 60-proof whiskey into a highball is a wee bit different from a jigger of absolute, and he eyeballed what must have been a double-Texas jigger into the beakers --he was from San Antonio.

Getting home from the lab was an experience every night, but I never got stopped.

As a footnote, I quit drinking totally a couple of years after that when I finally figured out that I couldn't drink booze as fast as Seagram's could distill it.  I started up again for a couple of years around my divorce, but quit again pretty soon after the divorce was finalized and I started to live again.

I had seen too many folks go down the tubes gradually from drinking, and more importantly than that, I saw how insidious drinking could be with some people, getting worse and worse, and I thought I saw some signs of that possibility in myself.  I never got into trouble with it, though, so my two separate decisions to quit were not forced on me.

So I guess for some it's a sin.  For others it ain't.  But I quit before I had to find out whether or not it was a sin for me.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:06:38 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2010, 10:46:53 PM »
control brother, as in any thing controlling you that isn't you or God. ;)

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 02:07:49 PM »
For the APS members that may have access to 100% ethanol in a lab someday:

According to my former OChem prof (who almost daily talked about ethanol and his lab parties) warned us that federal taxes on any form of consumable near 100%/100% were raised. Since that happened, most lab grade ethanol is laced with a relatively inert compound making it non-consumable (hence tax exempt). This compound is inedible, and supposedly more or less nontoxic, I think if it as something with epicac-like effects.

He could have been lying to keep us from following in his footsteps, or it could have been insurance/legality reasons (since in a school many lab students are under 21).

Either way, I never wanted to risk it.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 06:37:12 PM »
^^^ I knew that old chemistry master's would come in handy some day.  Yes, 95% and lesser concentrations lab alcohol is denatured.  The denaturing agents have changed over the years and the intended application for the ethanol. Some of the denaturing agents have included methanol, benzene, acetone and various aldehydes.

For some applications where absolutely pure ethanol is needed, such as a solvent for HPLC, 'analytic' grade can be bought, but boy is that expensive.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 06:41:56 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2010, 07:36:38 PM »
I had a suspicion benzene could be used for that, I was afraid of sounding like a bigger idiot than usual.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2010, 09:21:58 AM »
Why the magic "95%" (190 proof) number?

Because a lot of interesting things happen when you hit that concentration of alcohol in water. 

For one thing, as I mentioned, 100% alcohol wants to absorb water until it gets to about 95%.  So when you try to distill it past that point it is very difficult to separate the water out in the mixture of 5% steam and 95% alcohol vapor.  So when it is condensed and dribbles into the receiving vessel, you've still got that 5% water in it.

Special techniques are required to "kick it over" that 95% point, which is why 100% alcohol is so expensive.

So you can't just use your grandmother's little copper still to do it.

Terry, 230RN

(Image credit in properties.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:48:34 AM by 230RN »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2010, 09:32:03 AM »
When I was in the Marines, we were never that stupid.  We just drank our booze and beer.   College kids are weird.
:-*
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2010, 09:56:54 AM »
Well, you can't dwink 100% awcohow anyhow.  It thrivels/cauterizeth your tongue by dehydration... tho they thay.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:03:33 AM by 230RN »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2010, 10:01:48 AM »
Double potht. Thowwy.