Author Topic: I Like a Drink as Much as The Next Guy, But...  (Read 15287 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I Like a Drink as Much as The Next Guy, But...
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:03:25 AM »
The only comment I can muster is WTF?

Story leader quoted below. More, with pics of stupid people, at the link.

--------------
'Drinking' neat vodka through your EYE for a quick buzz? It sounds insane, but countless young people are risking their sight in this new craze

By Barbara Davies
Last updated at 2:20 AM on 15th May 2010

Even as drunken student antics go, it was, by any stretch of the imagination, a disturbing scene. Surrounded by cheering rugby players, applauded by fellow members of the university netball team, 19-year-old Melissa Fontaine tipped back her head and giggled as fellow drinkers in the Students' Union bar pulled apart her eyelids and allowed them to pour a shot of vodka into her left eye.

'Vodka eyeballing', as it is known in student circles, is the latest drinking craze to sweep through Britain's universities.

Those who do it claim that it induces feelings of drunkenness at break-neck speeds, providing an instant high.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278583/Young-people-drinking-neat-vodka-EYE-quick-buzz.html

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: I Like a Drink as Much as The Next Guy, But...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:07:21 AM »
They're not doing it right.

Vodka enema.

Can separate the intelligent from the dead pretty rapidly.

Blog under construction

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:11:57 AM »
young women in the UK are now seemingly
enjoying themselves as much as the young men, the media finds it alarming.
no respect for equal rights to be stupid in the UK press I guess =D

I remember reading an article about all the drunk girls barfing and passing out on new yrs eve, brit press was aghast.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

taurusowner

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:11:27 PM »
Vodka is best consumed slowly in a dark smoky room while cooly contemplating the destruction of your enemies.  These kids are doing it wrong.

*With Kahlua and cream over ice at the bowling alley is also an acceptable form.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:20:31 PM »
Funny enough, I keep vodka around more for cooking (tomato dishes) than for drinking. Hell, I use it more often as a disinfectant than I drink it. :laugh:
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 12:47:49 PM »
Funny enough, I keep vodka around more for cooking (tomato dishes) than for drinking. Hell, I use it more often as a disinfectant than I drink it. :laugh:

Ditto.  Back when I was into homebrewing, I would use high-proof vodka to sanitize carboy necks and wipe down some fittings. Then I picked up a bottle of Everclear the next time I was in Oregon.  This also works well as a sanitizer.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 12:53:07 PM »
Then I picked up a bottle of Everclear the next time I was in Oregon.  This also works well as a sanitizer.

And as an alternate fuel.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

PTK

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 01:05:56 PM »
...why did you have to pick it up in Oregon? Do you live in one of the states that disallows high proof alcohol? :)

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 01:31:12 PM »
I drink rum, if I ever drink.

I use Everclear as aftershave, LCD and keyboard cleaner, sanitizer, paint thinner, for cleaning wounds, occasionally when steaming vegetables (more of an experiment than anything else), and have been thinking of mixing it with powdered MoS2 to use as a quickly-evaporating binder for a wet/dry lube.  I used to run Zippos with it, but stopped because you couldn't see the flame during the day.

But God help you if you ever acquire lab-grade 100% ethanol...  :mad:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 01:42:17 PM »
Anhydrous ethanol has never been that simple to come by. Be glad that you can even get 95% (everclear)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 03:27:50 PM »
...why did you have to pick it up in Oregon? Do you live in one of the states that disallows high proof alcohol? :)

In Washington state, hard liquor is sold only through the state liquor stores.  Everclear, and other industrial ethanol products, can only be sold with a special state permit for medical, scientific and industrial uses.  So the nearest place a private citizen can buy it is out of the state.  For me, that is the Oregon liquor store just a stone's throw from the Columbia River and Washington state line in Jantzen Beach in Portland. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 04:03:51 PM »
  I used to run Zippos with it, but stopped because you couldn't see the flame during the day.

Used to use JP4/5 in my Zippo when in Korea. >:D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »
A suitable alternative fuel.  :cool:  'Course, it's just fancy diesel/kerosene.  ;)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
Well it was also free. =D
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 08:41:01 PM »
When my grandfather died in '03, I was invited to go through his tools & junk, and to scour the house for hidden firearms.

He had fifth of Everclear in his nightstand. Knowing him though, it was for cleaning something, like telescope optics, or some machine fixture, or some electronic gear.  :laugh:

He also had loaded M1 Carbine magazines in his underwear drawer, along with about 20 slide rulers, and various aviation weight/fuel/load/balance/wind mechanical calculators too.  =)
I promise not to duck.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 09:04:41 PM »
When my grandfather died in '03, I was invited to go through his tools & junk, and to scour the house for hidden firearms.

He had fifth of Everclear in his nightstand. Knowing him though, it was for cleaning something, like telescope optics, or some machine fixture, or some electronic gear.  :laugh:

He also had loaded M1 Carbine magazines in his underwear drawer, along with about 20 slide rulers, and various aviation weight/fuel/load/balance/wind mechanical calculators too.  =)
Holy heck.  Sounds like a lost temple of hidden treasure to me.  =D
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 09:29:32 PM »
Kinda gives new meaning to the old toast "Here's mud in yer eye" doesn't it? =D
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 10:13:05 AM »
Vodka is best consumed slowly in a dark smoky room while cooly contemplating the destruction of your enemies.  These kids are doing it wrong.

That's very undude.

*With Kahlua and cream over ice at the bowling alley is also an acceptable form.

That's better.   =D

My faculty advisor took me to dinner in NOLA at a bar near the hotel.  She ordered a drink with Everclear in it.  Within five minutes she wasn't sure if she was having massive heartburn or a heart attack.  That was a fun evening.

I'll stick to vodka (and tequila) consumed in the ordinary way.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 10:21:58 AM »
I thought I was hardcore when I placed vodka filled humidifiers strategically throughout the house during parties.  These kids put me to shame...

I drink rum, if I ever drink.

I use Everclear as aftershave, LCD and keyboard cleaner, sanitizer, paint thinner, for cleaning wounds, occasionally when steaming vegetables (more of an experiment than anything else), and have been thinking of mixing it with powdered MoS2 to use as a quickly-evaporating binder for a wet/dry lube.  I used to run Zippos with it, but stopped because you couldn't see the flame during the day.

But God help you if you ever acquire lab-grade 100% ethanol...  :mad:

MoS2 is not soluble in water and is not organic. Do not spend a lot of resources trying everclear. I don't antcipate it will be much better.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 10:31:16 AM »
Pouring alcohol in my eye doesn't sound like fun . . . sounds rather unpleasant, in fact.

As for Everclear . . . my grandmother used to make her own version of krupnik, or Lithuanian honey liquor, using everclear. That stuff would really warm you up on a cold winter's day.  =D

In college, many gallons of anhydrous ethyl alcohol were purchased from lab stock for experiments (wink, wink) and consumed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 11:35:51 AM »
Vodka, the good stuff, shaken, not stirred, with ice.  Poured into a chilled vintage depression glass martini glass, and garnish with a garlic stuffed olive..........the only way......chris3

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 12:23:17 PM »
Hmmm... It's after noon... A caucasian would be tasty...

If I had any Kahlua or any vodka...

And the proper beverage for rollin' a few is a Miller Lite.

Over the line!

They had a problem in the labs with the 100% going missing... Seems that folks were mixing it with diluted H20 and a mild citric acid solution on Friday afternoons...

Blog under construction

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 08:54:43 PM »
I'm polish, I drink my vodka neat.

I've been known to drink it chilled also (straight up).
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »
i can't find a pic but everclear has some competition. little cheaper to.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 10:07:36 PM »
i can't find a pic but everclear has some competition. little cheaper to.

At 190 proof there probably isn't much difference in the taste of them...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.