Author Topic: Tragedy, or contemporary Christian music ruins everything.  (Read 19948 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
If I understand correctly, St. Louis is one of the few places in the country with a dedicated classical music station. Well, that's all about to end.  :'( 

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/stage/story/FEFCC9694080DD788625771C000353D4?OpenDocument

In the past few years, I've come to have a love-hate relationship with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.  Their owning a classical music station went in the Love column. Selling it to purveyors of sappy pop garbage goes into the Hate column.  :'(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Tragedy, or contemporary Christian music ruins everything.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 11:16:36 PM »
 [barf]

i strongly dislike the whole christian rock thing. i've heard it a few times and its the same song, over and over and over. the only good christian rock songs i've heard that were good, ended up on regular rock stations. the rest is all really obnoxious.

i should also point out, that despite my being an athiest, i do like a lot of christian music.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:33:38 AM »
[barf]

i strongly dislike the whole christian rock pop music thing. i've heard it a few times and its the same song, over and over and over. the only good christian rock pop music songs i've heard that were good, ended up on never made it to regular rock stations. the rest is all really obnoxious.

FTFY

Also, I have no idea why so few forums support strike through. I lurvs me some [s ] [ /s]
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 12:35:48 AM »
there's good and bad in Christan music. have you seen the southpark where cartman starts a Christan band? i could swear this is how some Christan bands got started.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 12:43:15 AM »
there's good and bad in Christan music.

Quite so. I have yet to find out whether this particular outfit is good or bad, but let's just say I've learned to be disappointed in "contemporary Christian." 

Now some good Michael Card, or the late Rich Mullins, that's quite a different story.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 01:00:57 AM »
These fellows do a pretty good job:
http://www.creaturemusic.com/

The mastermind behind remastering the hymns is this fellow:
http://www.stanford.edu/~paulcon/#
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 01:32:56 AM »
Well, j_roo, I'm not blown away, but I am impressed.  Not half bad.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 04:29:09 AM »
We've got an excellent classical music station:

http://www.kmfa.org/

I listen to it every day.  I think my car stereo might be stuck on it.
For entertainment purposes only.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 05:05:30 AM »
In the past few years, I've come to have a love-hate relationship with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.  Their owning a classical music station went in the Love column. Selling it to purveyors of sappy pop garbage goes into the Hate column.

A good MP3 player/FM modulator combo that plugs into the cigarette lighter, a couple of cheap SD cards, and the podcast files from http://www.wrr101.com/ can solve your problem.

As a bonus, a lot of those players are also Bluetooth handsfree devices, so you get the nifty stereo-pauses-and-becomes-your-speakerphone-automatically feature a lot cheaper than finding a stereo with it built in.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 08:30:27 AM »
If I understand correctly, St. Louis is one of the few places in the country with a dedicated classical music station. Well, that's all about to end.  :'(  

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/stage/story/FEFCC9694080DD788625771C000353D4?OpenDocument

In the past few years, I've come to have a love-hate relationship with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.  Their owning a classical music station went in the Love column. Selling it to purveyors of sappy pop garbage goes into the Hate column.  :'(

Ahh, the same folks who abruptly (as in, "Don't come in tomorrow") sacked Issues, Etc.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:39:48 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 08:38:32 AM »

Really.  Not seeing anything there.  I'll google up later.

Indelible Grace is good.  "Remastered hymns" genre.  Good, good, good.

RUF Auburn has a couple CDs that are the same, slightly more "popy".  (May not be available anymore, direct links gone 404.).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:44:59 AM by lee n. field »

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 08:44:41 AM »
Full disclosure.

I was raised fundy Christian in a setting where even Christian Contemporary was off limits for both personal and worship use. I and my three siblings were all classically trained on the piano and violin so we always had classical music in the house.

But I also grew up listening to my dad and his friends play bluegrass and when I was a teenager I started listening to country and classic rock and roll on the side. You'd be surprised how many rock songs use the same chord progression as folk music from the US and British Isles. AC/DC does that a LOT. (though IMHO most of their stuff is not fit to listen to lyrically)

All that to say. When I moved to VT I finally started attending a church that uses CCM in their worship service....and I really don't like it as much. To me it's not as good as the old hymns, but it may just be my preference. Everyone else listens to KLOV, the nationally syndicated CCM station but I just can't find it in me to listen to it in the "pop" setting. At church we play it in a manner easier to sing, which helps.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 09:40:24 AM »
I'm a Christian, so I figure if I listen to it, that makes it Christian music.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 10:25:23 AM »
I tried out a church down the street from me.  I walked in and saw the rock band setting up on the stage and just groaned.  Most of the songs had pretty sappy lyrics that had little or no meaning.  There are lots of classic Christian hymns that are much better IMO.  I haven't heard much in the way of modern Christian music that wasn't either sappy or just pop music.

The Church I grew up with had little or no ceremonial stuff.  You walked in and sat down and the pastor did a 45 minute sermon with a few announcements and then you left.  We sung a few songs on Sunday morning.  It was straightforward and technical.  Most of the songs we did sing were of the variety that the 80 year old songs were the new ones.  Onward Christian Soldiers was the most common.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:31:43 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 10:29:59 AM »
I liked Elvis' hymns when they were contemporary. Haven't liked much since.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 10:31:54 AM »
Back In The Day, I used to listen to a lot of CCM.  Not all of it was dreck, though there was quite a bit that was really terrible.

Some of the earlier Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant weren't bad.  The more "pop"-y they tried to get, though, the worse they became, and Grant's "Heart in Motion" album was a travesty from any direction you looked at it.

Petra and Sacred Warrior were (looking back) not particularly good, and Seventh Angel was downright bad, but their rock sound helped me (an angry teen who was searching) transition in from more mainstream rock.  So there's a place for all of that stuff.  Ultimately, if the music reaches someone, and helps them, then it's doing its job, even if it's not music that you like.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 11:02:12 AM »

Tragedy, or contemporary Christian music ruins everything.

I read, in Warren Cole Smith's A Lover's Quarrel With the Evangelical Church that the  target audience of Christian radio is notional "Becky".  "Becky" is a mom in her thirties with a couple kids, a minivan, a marriage that may not be so good, and may not even be a Christian.  And she likes her radio safe.

Explains a lot.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 11:18:52 AM »
I dislike the move away from hymnals in churches.  Nobody sings parts anymore; not even on traditional Christmas carols.  So I bellow out the bass part from memory.

I think a big part of it is the vacuous repetitive lyrics of the "praise" tunes have lobotomized everybody. 

(I tried watching the previously-linked South Park video last night, but the feed kept pausing ("buffering") every 20 to 30 seconds even though I had a fast Internet connection.  Made it unwatchable.  And when I tried to download it, all I got was the commercial at the beginning)
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 11:20:35 AM »
i strongly dislike the whole christian rock thing. i've heard it a few times and its the same song, over and over and over.
Same could be said for disco, rap, and hiphop . . . except the last two don't remotely qualify as actual music.
We've got an excellent classical music station:

http://www.kmfa.org/

I listen to it every day.  I think my car stereo might be stuck on it.
Me too . . . except that on weekends, they tend to play a lot of choral/opera music, which isn't my cup of tea.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 11:23:34 AM »
And, if y-al're interested, The Genevan Psalter Resource Center.  This guy has recorded them all, with some other stuff.

Some of them are quite striking.  I remember singing this in church.  I miss this stuff.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:59:14 AM by lee n. field »

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 12:06:32 PM »
I've heard quite a bit of good Christian metal.

One of the few saving graces of SF & NYC are a good classical music station.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 12:41:25 PM »
These fellows do a pretty good job:
http://www.creaturemusic.com/

Before he left to get his PhD, he planned on a contemporary remastering of "A Mighty Fortress" into a metal tune, IIRC.  Never happened, but the potential is there.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 01:07:42 PM »
Before he left to get his PhD, he planned on a contemporary remastering of "A Mighty Fortress" into a metal tune, IIRC.  Never happened, but the potential is there.

Really.  Got any links?  I'm not finding anything.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 02:19:52 PM »
Does Mississippi Squirrel Revival qualify as Christian Music?   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 02:22:23 PM »
I've heard quite a bit of good Christian metal.

One of the few saving graces of SF & NYC are a good classical music station.

see, this and christian punk music, i just don't get.

and one of the good christian alt/rock song that made it mainstream that i was thinking of was that jars of clay song.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds