Author Topic: Lost: Never watched it, wondering what the big deal was...  (Read 4782 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Okay... What was going on with that show?

(never watched Seinfeld either...)
Blog under construction

coppertales

• friend
Re: Lost: Never watched it, wondering what the big deal was...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 12:19:40 PM »
I am with  you.  I never watched Lost or Seinfeld either.  I don't watch Survivor either.  Nothing exciting about type AAA+++ personalties running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »
From what I understand, "lost" is an adequate descriptor of what happens when you try to follow the plot...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 12:22:01 PM »
Never watched the Sopranos either...

Blog under construction

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 12:23:20 PM »
me too. I sold my TV 15 years ago. Don't miss it and I'll probably own another.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 12:25:09 PM »
I watched an episode or two of Lost when it first began.

When the tropical jungle polar bear attacked and one of the characters shot it, saving the whole party . . . the others turned on him, with a "HOW DARE YOU HAVE A GUN!!!" attitude. Notwithstanding the fact that he'd just saved all their lives by killing the tropical jungle polar bear . . . he went ahead and turned it over to the other members of the party.  :facepalm:

At that point, I turned Lost off and never went back, but from what I understand, it just descended into incoherent silliness.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 12:29:11 PM »
I tried to like it..  I really did.  I watched the first season and it was ok.  They lost me after that.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 12:30:01 PM »
So what was it about?
Blog under construction

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 12:32:06 PM »
An airliner crashed near a tropical island and all sorts of mystical and fullfilling ones destiny type things happened.  Then they find out they are not the only ones on the island...  and...  that is as far as I made it.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 12:55:32 PM »
From what I understand, "lost" is an adequate descriptor of what happens when you try to follow the plot...

What plot? Somebody set out to create something stupider than a reality show...and succeeded.

At that point, I turned Lost off and never went back, but from what I understand, it just descended into incoherent silliness.

This.

Seinfield was funny. I never followed it religiously or anything, but I do catch an episode every now and then. The Soup Nazi episode is one of my favorites.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 01:07:22 PM »
Lost? what? there was never any show called lost, you folks must be having a fringe event
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 01:21:28 PM »
Lost? what? there was never any show called lost, you folks must be having a fringe event
But in my flash forward, it was there, visible on all the Destiny's monitors . . .  [popcorn]
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 01:29:02 PM »
It was a fun show. Lots of characters die, and most characters are jackasses. So you end up watching just to see jackasses die.
As for the plot, mix Gilligan's Island and the Twilight Zone.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
Lost is pretty good. Watched some when it first came out then my tv watching started going down. A while back ago my old roommate got hooked and I would sometimes watch it from my side. Been wanting to get the seasons so I could actually watch it from start to finish.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »
As for the plot, mix Gilligan's Island and the Twilight Zone.

You mean, kind of like the old "The Prisoner"?

I've watched almost no TeeVee since Babylon 5 came to it's telos.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 05:13:07 PM »
SPOILER ALERT

Their all dead.

It made no sense in the grand scheme of the show, they had a good first 3 seasons, painted themselves into a corner in the 3rd and 4th seasons on where to go or what to do with the show, forgot about the last 4 seasons we'd just seen, and then stole the most popular fan theory they had said from the beginning was wrong and used it as their ending. 

That's what the big deal to the was hardcore fans. I had two of my other friends over last night to watch it and when the big "reveal" came we all where like Ahhhh WTF!  :facepalm:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 05:16:22 PM »
IMO the end ripped off the "curtain call" at the very end of Titanic...
I promise not to duck.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 05:44:14 PM »
They lost me with whole "but he's a DOCTOR omgeez, godlike leadership powers! (despite all the evidence to the contrary)

The gun stuff too, but it's was realy the assumption of who got what roles, automaticlly.  Too fake.

It was kibda' fun at first, but just fluff.  Fluff that they tried way too hard to keep interstng.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »
What plot? Somebody set out to create something stupider than a reality show...and succeeded.

Stupider than "The Jersey Shore"????????????

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 08:09:54 PM »
In the finale, the Mini-14 kept switching back and forth between a "GB" with flash hider and bayo-lug, and to a regular model without. Bothered me...  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 08:32:24 PM »
An airliner crashed near a tropical island and all sorts of mystical and fullfilling ones destiny type things happened.

So it's the one with Ricardo Montalban and Tattoo?  Except I don't think the airplane crashed, it was a seaplane landing.  I remember that little guy Tattoo hollering, "De pain, boss, de pain!" every time it touched down. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:39:54 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 04:32:45 PM »
For me, the show peaked with Season Two.  The Hatch, the code, Locke's obsession therewith, and the discovery of other Dharma stations was really gripping.  Unfortunately that was about it for me.  I followed the show to the end, though, and I was actually satisfied with the way they tied it up.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »
For me, the show peaked with Season Two.  The Hatch, the code, Locke's obsession therewith, and the discovery of other Dharma stations was really gripping.  Unfortunately that was about it for me.  I followed the show to the end, though, and I was actually satisfied with the way they tied it up.

The Dharma-angle was indeed the best. Instead of "The Others" ultimately being the disciples of Jacob, helping protect the island's golden life force heart-of-the-world or whatever, having a warren of dated 1970's research bunkers studying all sorts of mysterious things would have been much cooler.

IMO they did intend to go more "Dharma Initiative" at first, but just ran out of steam on it, switching to the more mystical/Jacob angle towards the end.
I promise not to duck.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 05:19:36 PM »
SPOILER ALERT

Their all dead.

It made no sense in the grand scheme of the show, they had a good first 3 seasons, painted themselves into a corner in the 3rd and 4th seasons on where to go or what to do with the show, forgot about the last 4 seasons we'd just seen, and then stole the most popular fan theory they had said from the beginning was wrong and used it as their ending. 

That's what the big deal to the was hardcore fans. I had two of my other friends over last night to watch it and when the big "reveal" came we all where like Ahhhh WTF!  :facepalm:

That's what happened? Seriously? HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't stand Lost or Battlestar Galactica for the same reasons- they used way too many damn flashbacks and way too much soap opera drama.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 05:29:16 PM »
imho,

tv shows like lost, 24 and anything else that has a detailed plot that to understand you have to watch it every week are better enjoyed on DVD when you don't have to worry about "OMG? WHAT HAPPENED I DON'T KNOW!?!?!" if you miss an episode.
(yes, i am one of those people that HAS to read/watch a series in order)

second. when it comes to shows that are billed as "smart" "edgy" and "diffrent" and they end up with a huge fanbase of everyone and their mother, i tend to be wary, simply because i highly doubt its quite as "smart, edgy or diffrent" as they network wants you to belive. some of this is depentent on the network too. FOX can actually pull the S,E and D with a large fanbase (House, Fringe) on a halfway relible basis, CBS has done it a couple times, NBC rare. ABC has probably the biggest pile of "yeah, no... nice try though...", their good stuff gets killed pretty quick and this stuff stays on FOREVER.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds