Author Topic: Thoughts on Hyosung motorcycles?  (Read 2654 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Thoughts on Hyosung motorcycles?
« on: May 31, 2010, 04:33:40 PM »
The other day I say a rather sharp looking motorcycle that, upon closer inspection, turned out to be a Hyosung. I admit I was intrigued, as I'd never heard of such a brand. Looks like it is a Korean manufacturer that started out by making Suzuki bikes under contract then branched out to their own models.

Not a lot of info on them on the net, so I'm curious. Anyone have any experience with them? How's the quality, design, actual street price, resale value etc etc.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

zahc

• friend
Re: Thoughts on Hyosung motorcycles?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 05:40:26 PM »
No first hand experience, but every time I mention that I want to buy a new Ninja 250, I'm always encouraged not to overlook the Hyosung models. I figure Korean cars are proving themselves pretty decent so I don't suppose there's any reason to dismiss a Korean motorcycle off hand.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 05:42:06 PM »
I have never seen one in the flesh, and I think there was or is a dealer in Renton who carries them.  I have noticed that they have gotten some very good reviews in Australia and Thailand.  They are considered a step up from the PRC bikes and a step below the Japanese bikes, according to what I have read.  

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 05:59:01 PM »
They are considered a step up from the PRC bikes and a step below the Japanese bikes, according to what I have read.  

About what I expected. I was just surprised at the price, the msrp I'm seeing online (as well as resales on Craig's List) seem too high.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 06:05:35 PM »
you're simply better off with a Japanese bike, way more spare parts, & expertise.
My old co worker got a Hyosung, runs good while brand new but nobody around to work on it. I'd wait 20 years to buy one
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 07:04:30 PM »
At least they didn't name the brand KIA.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 07:34:17 AM »
The other day I say a rather sharp looking motorcycle that, upon closer inspection, turned out to be a Hyosung. I admit I was intrigued, as I'd never heard of such a brand. Looks like it is a Korean manufacturer that started out by making Suzuki bikes under contract then branched out to their own models.

Not a lot of info on them on the net, so I'm curious. Anyone have any experience with them? How's the quality, design, actual street price, resale value etc etc.

They are Korean, but they have never made anything for Suzuki or Kawasaki. No parts are interchangeable between the brands, and the Hyosongs already have a reputation for poor quality.

The GT650 is a cheap copy of Suzuki's SV650, and the GT250 is a cheap copy of the Kawasaki Ninja 250.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 10:02:41 AM »
They are Korean, but they have never made anything for Suzuki or Kawasaki.

Just going off Wiki on that one. /shrug

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 12:15:24 AM »
Give 'em a decade and they might have something worth buying.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 02:08:27 AM »
I have a Hyosung scooter (It's my wife's) that has never ran right.  NEVER.  We bought it brand new, or rather my father-in-law did.  I personally would buy the Ninja. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 02:24:20 AM »
Thing is, I don't actually want to buy one. When I first saw it, I thought "Hmm, new Asian manufacturer I've never heard of, I bet they're uber-cheap but kinda crappy." But when I looked at the prices they seemed sku high, so I had a bit of cognitive dissonance.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 06:27:24 AM »
They look pretty cheesy, but I've not heard terrible things about them.

Bikeexif and the Kneeslider are very cool blogs btw. Definitely worth trawling through their histories for things like: http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/05/19/ryca-cs-1-suzuki-s40-cafe-conversion/

http://www.bikeexif.com/
http://thekneeslider.com/
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 08:31:26 AM »
I still want an Ural.  =(

'Course, a Royal Enfield is looking kinda nice, too...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:38:59 AM by S. Williamson »
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 08:42:54 AM »
I still want an Ural.  =(

Me too. A Gear-Up.  =D
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 10:23:07 AM »
I live in the land of Urals.   The US importer is just down the road a bit in Redmond.  I see a bunch of them on the road in this area.  They are pretty cool up close and personal. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 10:29:56 AM »
I think if I ever got a Ural, I'd have it done up in retro Nazi-era colors and markings, but then with the swastika bits callously sprayed over and the larger ones re-marked "PROPERTY OF US GOVERNMENT".  =D  I'd also piece together a WWII US Infantry uniform, with Ike jacket, including helmet for riding (if it's legal to use that kind of helmet for motorcycling) to wear while out and about on it.  

If I got a Royal Enfield, I'd militarize it too, but have a British uniform for that.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Iain

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 02:28:44 PM »
The Urals are pretty cool, but unlike the Enfield there hasn't been a lot of updating going on. Enfield have had to redesign their engine twice in the last decade to pass emissions tests. Ural can't import to Europe anymore because they haven't. Both are a little too all-round retro for my tastes. I'll take a Guzzi V7 classic. I would love an updated Ural design though, bikes of the 30s and 40s look right to me.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also