Author Topic: Bandwidth Sucking -- Cause?  (Read 1570 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Bandwidth Sucking -- Cause?
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:12:05 AM »
I wanted to see if anyone has ever experienced something like this or knows what it might be:

For the last 4 days, right around 6PM, my cable connection goes to hell. I get a variety of conditions, from "no WAN device detected" messages from the router, to intermittent connectivity. When I am connected, it takes for instance, a couple of minutes to load APS, then I might either get a page here quickly, or it may take a couple of minutes, or I might get nothing at all.

When I ping something, I get intermittent connections, with interspersed timeouts. Speed is about 50ms to outside sites like google, which I think is normal for me. Going to someplace like Speedtest, I can't get through an entire download check, but it sometimes goes partway through and shows me speed bursts up to maybe 3mbps (normal is about 18-20 for me) and upload tests fail completely. Trying to do something bandwidth intensive like streaming Netflix is total fail.

The totally weird thing is the time issue. As I said, starts around 6PM then goes at least until 11PM which is the latest I usually go to bed. The next morning, like right now, everything is back to normal. In fact the symptoms are almost like the kind of issues I ran into when my last cable modem was going out, except the whole time thing seems to make that a very remote possibility.

Besides the above stuff, I ensured a schedule wasn't accidentally put on the router (plus it's multi-source and works fine with my 3G card plugged in, which is how I've been accessing the net the last few evenings) and plugged two different computers directly into the modem. Everything of course from the modem on was turned off and on (the modem for up to an hour to ensure it wasn't an overheating issue), and all connections were checked. I also plugged the modem into the mainline side of the splitter (that goes to TV and Internet) to make sure the splitter wasn't bad. And the regular cable connection to the TV works fine after 6PM. So I'm at a loss. Could there be any way a neighbor (I live in a condo) could have physically gotten into my connection via the coax and be doing some weird, bandwidth sucking business that starts at 6PM every day?

I have the cable company coming out this evening around 6PM to see if they can trace what's up (just watch - it'll work fine today) but am trying to make sure I have checked everything possible that could be on my end.

On a tangent, I haven't called my cable company for tech support in probably 8 years. Their tier 1 now officially sucks. There is no more live help number given. My first try was with a "live" person via online chat. I think they hire retards for that. The guy of course first told me that it was my personal equipment (knowing how tier 1 works, I had already given him info on all checks I did in my first post to him). Then he told me it was the wireless signal from my router (even though I never told him whether I had a wired or wireless router) interfering with my cable connection. Then he kept telling me the problem would be solved if I just plugged my computer directly into the modem. He did that several times even though I said that had already failed. I finally had to give up on him, and I found a number to call that put me in touch with a "robot technician". The freakin' AI was more intelligent than the guy on the live chat. At least it asked me to do reasonable stuff and actually reported back to me what it was seeing on my connection. It then was smart enough, after seeing the weird problem (in fact I think it even said something like, "this is weird"), to send me to a real live person, who I assume was at least tier 2, since he asked me to do reasonable checks like ipconfig and ping. Of course it was 45 minutes before I got to him. Argh.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:15:14 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Bandwidth Sucking -- Cause?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 10:25:31 AM »
Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way...  :angel:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:27:06 AM »
Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way...  :angel:

Oh yeah, I haven't yet checked for alien or trans-dimensional intrusions.  :P
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:34:15 AM »
Could be when all your neighbors get home and start sharing with you.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 10:39:38 AM »
Could be when all your neighbors get home and start sharing with you.

That was actually a thought, but why only starting 4 days ago? Also, I would expect that if it was just everyone getting into watching Netflix or whatever, it would be some gradual degradation over weeks or months.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »
That was actually a thought, but why only starting 4 days ago? Also, I would expect that if it was just everyone getting into watching Netflix or whatever, it would be some gradual degradation over weeks or months.

Could be just one person getting heavy into BitTorrent. Maybe even someone who learned a few "tricks" to try and prioritize his bandwidth, and it's crashing the whole segment.

Have you asked any neighbors if they experience bandwidth/ping/latency issues at the same time?
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 12:24:31 PM »
Could be just one person getting heavy into BitTorrent. Maybe even someone who learned a few "tricks" to try and prioritize his bandwidth, and it's crashing the whole segment.

Have you asked any neighbors if they experience bandwidth/ping/latency issues at the same time?

Hmmm. That could be a possibility. Of course this then means I have to actually talk to my neighbors...

When I talked to tech support yesterday they didn't know offhand of any other reports from my area. But somebody able to prioritize their bandwidth -- that could be a possibility.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »
Just use some detcord to take care of the issue.  =)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 02:23:27 PM »

When did the kids get out of schoo, when do camps and such end?  Mine shlows down when the teenagers get off work in the summer

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »
run a network speed test a couple of times and get some metrics

http://www.speedtest.net/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 02:44:35 PM »

That was my first thought also.  

Do movie downloads and stuff like that slow those shared systems much?  My DSL is usually pretty consistent.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »

Do movie downloads and stuff like that slow those shared systems much?  My DSL is usually pretty consistent.

On my connection at least, I often have Netflix streaming on my TV while I'm doing some fairly bandwidth intensive stuff on my laptop, and I don't notice much of a slowdown -- definitely not the kind of thing I'm getting now. That's why I was thinking AJ may have hit on it if it's someone actively reserving bandwidth.

Harold -- Speedtest is what I kept trying to run.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 03:04:29 PM »

DSL isn't a shared-bandwidth connection.  Neither is FiOS.  Cablemodem's the only broadband service that I'm aware of that is subject to bandwidth sharing.

Comcast plays little tricks to make people think they're getting better throughput than they actually are.  They call it "speed boost", and what it basically means is that they have adaptive quality-of-service on a per-connection basis.  The first 20 seconds or so of a new TCP/IP connection are given artificially-high priority on the wire, so if you're downloading a nominally-large file, chances are it'll complete in that window, and all you'll see is blazing-fast speed.  But long-term connections, like a movie download, run past that 20-second window and are throttled down to much lower throughput rates.

That's also how Comcast manages to show pretty impressive numbers on things like speedtest.net; the test is less than 20 seconds long, so it all falls within the "priority" window, and so is an artificially-high number compared to long-term aggregate performance.

If someone is actively shaping their traffic on Comcast's network, it's a fair bet that they're violating their TOS, and if Comcast catches them, they'll spank them pretty hard.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 03:33:28 PM »
I run into the same problems when I get home from work, 5pm, and try to log on.  It is really bad on Friday nights.  Any other times, no problems.  It is just swamping of the bandwidth by too many users.....chris3

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 09:03:43 PM »
I had intermittent problems with connection a while back.

I figured out how to log into the router and copy/paste some of the tx/rx signal numbers for the telecom support team. I was able to put the onus on them to fix it. By connecting directly to line in for the house and recording the signal to noise db to the router, it was clear that the company side was at fault.  Otherwise, they will charge you $$$ to trace problems on the customer side of the network.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »
So the cable guy was just here, and OF COURSE the problem didn't repeat this evening.

I don't know much of anything about the "supply side" of cable connections so I don't know how much of what he did while he was here went towards what might be the actual problem, or if he was simply "tuning" my connection. He had some signal measurement software with "green=good, red=bad" status lights that had a red light telling him my signal was too "hot". He said that too much signal can actually cause the problems I was having. Maybe if the cable company adjusts their downstream strength at a certain time (like 6PM when people start using the internet more?) it was causing my already high signal to go too high (if they can or do in fact change the signal throughout the day)?

Like I said I understand nothing on that side of networks, but he installed some filters on my coax that brought my signal to 41dB, which he said was a sweet spot in the range. I was initially, according to his software, 10dB higher than the top of the normal signal range.

Anyways, guess all I can do is wait and see if this problem repeats or not.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 09:03:53 PM »
I think it's high use in your area. I live in a neighborhood that's full of college students who use cable. You can hear the bandwidth being sucked away. They can fix it if they want, but they won't spend the money to improve internet service. We have Comcast, and it sucks worse than Road Runner which used to be our cable company. I'm pretty sure they throttle/adjust flow. Complaints about their service and speeds have been made for years, but nothing improved. DSL even in the heart of the city is still much slower, but it's more even as far as flow.

We now have citywide Wi-Fi for $20/month if it works for your needs. I know some folks who use it and like it. There are reception problems depending on where or high up in a building you are. Speeds are similar to DSL.