Author Topic: this is NOT the third party i was hoping for  (Read 1959 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
this is NOT the third party i was hoping for
« on: June 01, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/31/AR2010053103461.html?nav=hcmoduletmv

this is a nightmare to me

By Philip Rucker
Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A defiant move by one of the nation's most powerful unions to help oust Democrats who voted against the health-care bill by establishing a third political party in North Carolina has failed because organizers did not collect enough signatures to qualify for the November midterm elections.

The Service Employees International Union and its North Carolina affiliate did not gather the 85,000 signatures by Tuesday's deadline. But organizers said they are drafting an independent candidate to challenge Rep. Larry Kissell, a first-term Democrat from a swing district who voted against the bill.

Organizers have recruited Wendell Fant, a registered Democrat and a former aide in Kissell's district office who said he was forced to resign over an ethics dispute, to run against his old boss. Democratic officials say the move could effectively hand the seat to a Republican.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: this is NOT the third party i was hoping for
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 03:47:40 PM »
I'm perfectly okay with the results.

Blue dogs who voted against the health care bill are about on par (to me at least) with your average every day RINO.

Hurting a blue dog to seat a RINO is a zero-sum game.

Hurting a blue dog to seat a real conservative is a big win, IMO.

I don't know who the republican candidate here might be... but at worst, it's status quo.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 04:54:28 PM »
IMO, public employee unions ought to be outlawed.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 04:57:45 PM »

Wholeheartedly agreed.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 05:16:09 PM »
There we go.  ;)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 06:29:02 PM »
IMO, public employee unions Service Employees International Union ought to be outlawed thrown in jail

I think that's better. ;)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 09:39:04 PM »
Their right to strike ought to be abrogated, that's for sure. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 10:42:21 PM »
There we go.  ;)
I would actually disagree with that.  I have no problems with unions though I don't care for close shops rules and other special advantages for unions. 

I really don't even care if public employees form an org to set up private pensions or benefits, but I don't think they should be able to do the union thing. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 11:30:45 PM »
There we go.  ;)
No need for that pesky freedom of association right?

As a note, I do personally dislike unions. They tend to end up becoming that which they profess to hate.
Look, tiny text!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 11:37:57 PM »
they tend to end up becoming that which they profess to hate.

ain't that the truth
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 05:53:52 AM »
IMO, public employee unions Service Employees International Union ought to be outlawed thrown in jail publically humiliated every chance one gets....

Where can one get a discount on tar and feathers (artificial, of course...don't want to offend their vegan tendencies....  ;/ )
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.