Author Topic: Will the perp pay a virtual fine?  (Read 1032 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Will the perp pay a virtual fine?
« on: June 01, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.b054565423287aad171074503885d125.71&show_article=1

A virtual thieving spree could have real life consequences for culprits in Finland, where police are investigating the theft of virtual furniture on a social networking site popular with teenagers.
"Significant amounts of virtual property" were stolen from around 400 users of the Habbo Hotel virtual hotel, where visitors can create a character for themselves to hang out with friends, take care of virtual pets and furnish their own rooms for a fee, Finnish police said Tuesday.

The cyber thieves used hoax web pages to steal user names and passwords, which they then used to sign in to Habbo profiles and shift property away from its rightful owners, the police said in a statement.

As part of the investigation, the police have searched homes in five Finnish cities, confiscated computers and interrogated several people, they said, adding that while the value of damages could not yet be defined, for some users the cost could be "significant".

[I'm confused.  Has a crime been committed?]
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: Will the perp pay a virtual fine?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 05:28:49 PM »
If real money has changed hands, then yes, a crime has been committed.  Also, many equate time with money, so even if no real-world money was spent, time has been invested.  So once again, yes.

I prefer questing and leveling in real life anyway.   =)  Problem is, there's no re-spawn.   =(
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 05:44:08 PM »
  Problem is, there's no re-spawn.   =(

Why do you hate the baby Jeebus?   :'(
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »
I prefer questing and leveling in real life anyway.
You don't even do that in Habbo Hotel.
You just hang out.  It's like Yahoo Chat with ugly, poorly drawn avatars.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 01:17:49 AM »
same thing as ps home? :angel: