Author Topic: camping filter  (Read 1851 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
camping filter
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:04:46 AM »
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3521159&cp=2291414

anyone use this one? i looked at his one since i take 3 others with me camping i think filling and hanging this would be my best bet as opposed to pumping .
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: camping filter
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:13:48 AM »
I don't use that one... but...

My backpacking filter is an older one made by PUR back when they were in the business, a hand-pump model.  They sold their pump and filter cartridge design to Katadyn.  That filter cartridge design in your link is the same one I use.  I used the original filter cartridge for about 8 years and never got sick from back-country water, though I am very picky about where I choose to pump.  I just replaced the cartridge a year ago.

I can recommend the filter cartridge as functional, and not likely to be made obsolete by design and unavailable for replacement.

I don't see any reason why gravity feed would be an undesirable system.  I think it seems to be a good product.

Edited for clarification of the filter cartridge versus the filter body.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:20:27 AM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

sanman

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 11:20:40 AM »
Should be easier on you than pumping for all.

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 11:22:31 AM »
cool  my version of hell would be wife and 2 daughters with the trots  you can't carry or bury that much toilet paper.  and since i camp along a river almost always i just pull a bucket out let it settle to get the floating stuff out  it keeps the prefilters from clogging
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 11:26:27 AM »
I pump my H2O in the BW and I have thought about one of those gravity feed gizmos but I worry about the filter plugging since you just scoop up the water into the bag and the sediment would settle out near the filter.

I use a collapsible water bucket in the BW, I wade out a little ways into the lake and try to grab lake water that doesn't have sediment floating in it. Then I let the water settle a bit in the bucket and try to draw off the top.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 11:35:01 AM »
I have a First Need that not only pumps but operates via gravity feed with the included bag.  It also removes Viruses and chemicals via filtration, unlike most.

Chris

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
where'd you get it?

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 11:46:02 AM »
I have a Katadyn Hiker plus two unused replacement filters that were a gift from my dad after letting him take my BOBackpack and anything from it he needed to Haiti.  Was re-sterilized before I got it, too.  =)  Haven't had a chance to use it yet, though.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 12:10:51 PM »
Gets good reviews for the most part at REI.com

http://www.rei.com/product/737349
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 12:19:50 PM »
wonder how long it takes to filter a full bag

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 12:31:57 PM »
where'd you get it?

REI, but Amazon has them as well.

It takes a bit less than 1 minute per ounce via gravity.

Chris

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »
perfect

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 12:35:21 PM »
I use a pump-type filter with a ceramic filter insert that can be scrubbed and reused.  Gravity feed looks like a good idea, but I think it would plug up almost instantly.

When I go day-hiking (it's been a few years) I carry a quart of water in a canteen and that's supposed to last the day; then I carry a bottle of tincture of iodine.  A few drops of iodine will kill guardia (sp?) and most bacteria in a quart of cleanish water -- but you have to let it sit for a half hour before you drink it.
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »
If it's a SHTF kind of situation, pre-filtering with pantyhose etc. will help immensely.

And a 5gal bucket with a spigot (or even just some nail-holes punched in the bottom) full of playground sand, with a bit of cloth to keep the sand from coming out the outlet will make a good filter last much much longer.

And that water would be pretty palatable with just a few drops of Chlorox as-is.
I promise not to duck.