Author Topic: Selling a used car. *rant*  (Read 6261 times)

Declaration Day

• friends
Selling a used car. *rant*
« on: June 09, 2010, 07:44:54 AM »
I've been trying to sell my Jeep for the last month or so, while working an unbelievable number of hours AND dealing with my ex-wife (who should be gone already but isn't). 

Here are a few examples of the bites I get on my ad:

1) Interested lady wants to trade me a Dodge Durango of equal value.  We email back and forth for three days, answering each others' questions.  On the third day, we speak on the phone.  She asks if my Wrangler is a stick.  "Yes, the ad says so."  "Oh, well I can't drive a stick, sorry.  Good luck."   :facepalm:

2)  I've had a few of these:  "I really want the jeep but won't have the cash for three weeks.  Can you hold onto it for me?"   :facepalm:

3)  "Will you take $1000 for it?"  "No, the ad says $3000, and I can't go lower than $2500."  :facepalm:

4)  "I live on the other side of the state.  Will you meet me half way so I can look at it?"  :facepalm:

5)  "Will you take 50 more detailed pictures and send them to me?"  Fine, I did that, then didn't hear back from the guy.   :facepalm:

What angers me most about this is that I have sold many, many used cars without any trouble.  The one car I need to sell so I can get my ex wife out of the house, I can't sell.  Sigh.

HankB

• friend
Re: Selling a used car. *rant*
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »
I've sold cars privately before, but here in Texas, things are different. Some of the fun responses I had when I sold my mother's old Crown Vic . . .

* "I can't pay the full amount up front . . . is it OK if I pay $500, take the car, and pay you off over the next 4 months?" (No, it's not. I'm not a bank.)

* "Can I take the car to a mechanic to be checked?" (Sure - I'll come with you.) "If I don't buy, will you pay my mechanic for his time?" (No.) "%$#*! you!"

There were others, but the worst was two gentlemen of the Hispanic persuasion - with very little English - who wanted to take the car for a test drive. I was agreeable, but told them I'd ride in the back seat to answer any questions. No, one of them wanted to drive the car alone, and the other would follow in the car they both arrived in "to make sure the tail lights worked."

Yeah, right.

When I refused, they became rather . . . irate . . . and heaped all manner of Spanish invective on me. They ultimately went away, but it's one time I was mighty glad to have my S&W 340Sc in my pocket.

Ultimately I sold that car to a kid who came to look it over with his father & grandpa . . . kid was 18, car was 20 years old. No problems or issues. But there were so many idiots before him, when it came time for me to get a new SUV, I traded it to the dealer, KNOWING I was losing money. But I just didn't need the problems again.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:54:56 AM »
I've privately sold several vehicles.  The only one that went smoothly was a Ford Aspire I sold for $500.  Asked $800 and took the first $500 offer on it.

Had a beautiful 1997 F350 single cab 4x4 with 460.  Selling that was a nightmare, because it brought the idiots and the lowball offers out of the woodwork.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:56:29 AM »
And then there are those dirty rat bastards from out of state, who take up time & oxygen, but then realize that the cost of travel exceeds the cost of the car.

I hate those types, especially!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 09:40:48 AM »
I listed an old motorcycle in the paper once.  It didn't run and had been sitting for a while, so I was giving it away.  Two guys walked up and said they would take it but couldn't pick it up right away.  They wanted me to hold a free motorcycle for them.  I told them it would be given to the first buyer who gave me zero dollars and could pick it up.  They pushed it home.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 10:07:13 AM »
Selling my house, personally, seems to be turning out easier than some of you guy's experience.

Of course, my house cost less than many vehicles...

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 10:10:01 AM »
I've sold many vehicles.  A couple of good stories come to mind.  I had an old 70's Chrysler SW that was maybe 10 years old and I ran 2 week ad for $1800.00.  A couple of hours later I called the paper and changed the price to$1200.00 as I thought 18 was a bit high.  Girl on the other end said the $1800 would run for one day then the price would change.  I never got a call in the two weeks.  About a month later, a guy called and asked if I still had the wagon.  Yup.  He came over, he looked it over and said he'd buy it and to meet him the next day at his credit union.  Price never came up.

So, i'm sitting at the CU and the woman clerk says, "What is the sale price?"  I got as far as "tw.." when the buyer pipes up with $1800.00?  Needless to say, I shut my pie hole and took the $1800.00

We sold swmbo's 76 'vette in '83.  We'd had it since 77 and had only 1000 miles on it when we bought it for $7500 from a GM exec.  The 'vette was cherry in '83 and I put $7500 on it.  A young kid came by and started looking her over (not swmbo, the 'vette you sleaze buckets =D) and actually was trembling and grinning because he knew this was the best 'vette he'd come across and he had the money.  Right about then an older guy came up and said he'd like to buy the car.  Wife said it was sold to the kid.  Guy said for how much?  She told him $7500.00.  Guy said he'd give her $8000.  Kid was standing there looking pretty despondent, when wife said to the guy, "Nope, I told this young man I'd sell it to him and I think he'll appreciate it more, so you might just as well hit the road."  I think maybe that was the best sale of all.  Never saw a kid so happy about a car purchase.  Sometimes the money ain't the best part.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 10:25:54 AM »
When I was 18 I sold my first car.

I knew I had priced it too low when the first person that looked at it gave me my asking price in cash.  :facepalm:

Sold me Eagle Talon to a guy for $600 cash.  A month later, I got a notice that the car had been impounded and would be sold at auction.  *shrug*  I already got my money out of it.  Still wonder about the guy that lost his $600 on the deal.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:32:54 AM »
I sold my restored Jaguar XKE back in 2000. I had a couple of guys come to look at it before the buyer.

Both of them flew from other states. One was from Arkansas, and I forget where the other was from.

Anywho, I'd bought a detailed ad with a full description and lots of photos. The car was a coupe, manual transmission, and I'd removed the factory A/C during the restoration (the A/C panel on those cars looked ugly). This was all in the ad.

The first guy from Arkansas liked the car, but said that a black car without A/C in Arkansas would be miserable. The second guy was looking for a 2+2, not a coupe, and he didn't want a manual transmission.

Each time someone came to look at the car, I'd spend hours spit-shining it. Why would these guys waste their money and all of our time when the car wasn't what they wanted?  ;/

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 01:07:14 PM »
I can understand the flakiness when selling something expensive.  I had all manner of goofiness when I was trying to sell an old van for $300. It was a solid running van, not pretty, but reliable. Guys called me offering $100. Someone didn't like the smell - what kind of smell do you expect out of a 20-year old work van??

Nobody reads ads. First line of ad was "Astro van, 4.3L V6". I got a bunch of "is a it a 4 or a 6 cylinder?"
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 02:14:43 PM »
DD, I've got $1.38 in pocket change.  Can you send me HD pictures of every square inch, inside and out.  Also I live in the Western Suburbs of Chicago so, meet me by the Sears Tower so that I can look it over and decide if I want it, or reduce my offer.   P.S. I can drive a stick, but I'm looking for a automatic for my daugther.

Thanks !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 02:24:15 PM »
Hey, DD,

I'm looking for a good Jeep, but I live in VA. But, I'll be visiting my parents in July, so if you could bring the Jeep to Chicago so I can check it out? I'd appreciate.

Also, once I decide whether I like it or not, could you drive it to VA for me? I'll pay the bus fare back.

Thanks!!

(Woops, just realized that was far too coherent, let me try again:

DUDE,

YOU HAVE JEPP? I WANT ONE> CAN U DRIV TO CHICAGO SO I CN CHECK IT OUT? AN DRIVE IT TO VA AFTER? I PAY BUS BACK IF U WANT! THX!@)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 02:36:39 PM »
If you drive it to NC I'll give you $40 for it.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 03:14:03 PM »
Are they Craigslist flakes?

When I sold my camper, way too cheaply I might ad, I had one flake after another. A nightmare.  Finally, the guy who bought it calls on a Sunday morning, says he will come out in a hour.  He shows up looks at it for 10 mins then says his brother-in-law is some kind of camper guru and he's coming over.  He shows up, and they spend about an hour looking it over.  Then he asks if he can try it out on his truck?  I'm thinking score!  Once he get's on, he won't want to take it off.  We put it on, he asks if I'll take any lower, I tell him no.  Well, let's take it off, I want to think about it.  I'm ticked, I wasted part of my Sunday dealing with this jerk.  About Wednesday of the next week, I get an email asking if I will take less for it.  I ignored the email.  Saturday he calls me up and asks if I sold it?  I said I wasn't worried about selling it right now.  I could hear it in his voice, he was hoping that I would get desperate and I would take less.  He showed up an hour later and gave me my asking price.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 10:22:01 PM »
since it happened again(week or 2 back) somewhat locally to me, i thought i would add. don't forget the guys that want the car(or cash if they can trick you into coming to look at "the car there trying to sell") and are willing to kill you to take it. =|

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 11:32:58 PM »
I'd like to buy your Jeep if you bring it out to Montana, but what I really need is a pickup.  You don't have a Chevy 4x4 pickup for sale do you  ???

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 01:23:43 AM »
You're selling a Jeep?

Sorry I'm looking for an S-10 pickup. Can you send me a few pictures anyway?

I might change my mind. Do you deliver? =D

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 01:47:37 AM »
  You don't have a Chevy 4x4 pickup for sale do you  ???

=D

Actually I do.  Smart-ass!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 02:05:45 AM »
The one car I need to sell so I can get my ex wife out of the house, I can't sell.

What, she gets half?  Take the hit; it'll be worth it.  I'll give you $10 for it, no questions asked.  :)

My old boss got a Honda that way.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 09:24:31 AM »
What, she gets half?  Take the hit; it'll be worth it.  I'll give you $10 for it, no questions asked.  :)

My old boss got a Honda that way.

No, I am being a nice guy by selling the Jeep and buying her something she can drive.

On a positive note, I have a potential buyer coming to my house tomorrow with cash in hand.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Actually I do.  Smart-ass!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is it 1975-80, 3/4 ton four speed  ???

I prefer white  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 11:52:29 AM »
Is it 1975-80, 3/4 ton four speed  ???

I prefer white  ;)

i think deep down you have a fetish for an nps green pu
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
i think deep down you have a fetish for an nps green pu

Actually, I had a green 1973 K-20 that I bought brand new.  But it was sort of a drab medium-dark green, not the limey green of the nps and forest circus.

I was young and foolish and ordered an automatic.  Took me about two weeks to figure out my mistake. :(  But I kept it for about seven years and then traded off for a K-10 with a 4 speed, which I sold after about a year for funds to start a business.  ;/  If the 1973 K-20 had been a 4 speed, I would probably still have it.

I did used to have a FS green 1965 short box stepside chevy.  I traded some firewood and posts for it.  Foolishly sold it when I had to go back to school. :(  It would have made a great learner truck for my daughters.

Oddly, I haven't had that much trouble selling used vehicles - except for the inevitable tire kickers looking at a $500 p/u and wondering why it doesn't have a/c  ;/

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 05:51:53 PM »
Contrast the trouble with selling the Jeep vs. the minivan I just sold today.  I placed a craigslist ad for it, and had a cash buyer 18 hours later.  I got my asking price, too.

Kia minivans aren't exactly in high demand here, but Jeeps sell like there's no tomorrow.  Except mine.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 06:26:09 PM »
I'd love to have a bunch of $500 cars to sell every week. They go so fast that you could make a decent living even at $50 profit each.