Author Topic: A group of idiots ruins it for the rest of us  (Read 1876 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
A group of idiots ruins it for the rest of us
« on: June 18, 2010, 11:32:22 PM »
There is a huge stretch of private land just outside of Missoula owned by Plum Creek logging.  They graciously allow all sorts of recreation on their land.   One of those things was a couple of informal shooting ranges.  For years the mess was kept to a minimum, folks cleaned up after themselves and the few slobs.  In the last couple of months a group of jackasses started going overboard, dragging junk cars, old appliances, and etc to those ranges.

Plum Creek had enough at that point, as of this week no more recreational shooting.  Goddammit so much.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: A group of idiots ruins it for the rest of us
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 01:57:21 AM »
Something similar happened at an informal range at a state quarry here in Oregon awhile back.
The stupid, it hurts.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:40:02 AM »
Yep, we experienced the same thing outside of Tucson Arizona.  A few of us HighRoaders even went out there and cleaned it up.  Took a couple of truck loads to the dump if memory serves me right. 

Anyway, they finally shut it down.  Plenty of other places to shoot in the desert but they always seem to end up getting trashed. 

I built my own target stand, take out my brass and leave nothing behind.  Wish others would do the same.  =(

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 10:53:59 AM »
Same here in Michigan.  A sort of gravel pit on the edge of state land along a main road.  It looks like a dump from the slobs who leave trash there.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 12:47:44 PM »
Same here, in the area around Ridgecrest CA, I knew a guy who'd let me and some friends go out and shoot.  Other "folks" got wind of it apparently and proceded to trash the place with old microwaves, washers, crap like that.  Hell, I think they were emptying beer bottles and then shooting them...... at the same damned time.

So, it got posted "No shooting" simply because the owner of the land couldn't afford to keep cleaning all that *expletive deleted*it up.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 01:30:31 PM »
It's astonishing how HARD some people will work to be slobs.

Unrelated to shooting but related to the topic, a few years ago a group of off-roaders decided to be good neighbors and clean up along a power line R.O.W. that we sometimes used as a 4x4 trail. We had a big group of people, from multiple off-road clubs. One guy worked for a carting company and he talked his boss into donating the use of a 40 c.y. dumpster, which was placed at the exit end of the trail.

Remember -- we're talking about a stretch of land that is accessible only by 4-wheel drive vehicles. We FILLED that dumpster -- and we had a mountain of trash beside it that dwarfed it. At one point I hauled out what must have been twenty or thirty unopened bundles of roofing shingles. I drive a Jeep pickup -- I needed 4WD and low range to get to the top of the (small) mountain where these things had been dumped. Nobody could figure out how they got there, or ... more importantly ... WHY. They were NEW. They were worth money. Why go to all the effort of driving out to a place most vehicles couldn't even get to to dump them?

People are slobs, that's all there is to it.

Those around Tucson have only to look at all the bullet-riddled Saguaro cacti to know that some people don't much care what they shoot at.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »
Same crap happens at the private club I belong to. We have a plinking range, "any traget and gun", full auto included. several trash cans on site and the morons still leave big smoldering piles of junk on the range for someone else to clean up.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 07:31:57 PM »
It's astonishing how HARD some people will work to be slobs.

No kidding.

Unrelated to shooting but related to the topic, a few years ago a group of off-roaders decided to be good neighbors and clean up along a power line R.O.W. that we sometimes used as a 4x4 trail. We had a big group of people, from multiple off-road clubs. One guy worked for a carting company and he talked his boss into donating the use of a 40 c.y. dumpster, which was placed at the exit end of the trail.

Remember -- we're talking about a stretch of land that is accessible only by 4-wheel drive vehicles. We FILLED that dumpster -- and we had a mountain of trash beside it that dwarfed it. At one point I hauled out what must have been twenty or thirty unopened bundles of roofing shingles. I drive a Jeep pickup -- I needed 4WD and low range to get to the top of the (small) mountain where these things had been dumped. Nobody could figure out how they got there, or ... more importantly ... WHY. They were NEW. They were worth money. Why go to all the effort of driving out to a place most vehicles couldn't even get to to dump them?

People are slobs, that's all there is to it.

Those around Tucson have only to look at all the bullet-riddled Saguaro cacti to know that some people don't much care what they shoot at.

If you ask me (which you didn't but TS :D , ) I think it's a bad case of NIMBY + Cranial Rectal Inversion Syndrome.
They wouldn't mess up their back yard like that but what the hell, the remote areas aren't their property, so therefore they're not their problem.

Slobs can just ESAD.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 07:41:43 PM »
Nor surprising, but that same thing happened up by my inlaws.  A local gun shop owned some land across the road with a huge, natural backstop.  Eventually, they got tired of cleaning up all the garbage that people left behind and fenced it off.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 10:32:58 PM »
And this is why I don't allow people to shoot on my land. Because word will spread, others will come, and then they will trash my property. And then I'll have to clean up the bodies ...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 10:58:07 PM »
Oh, I thought this thread was about Democrats.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife