Author Topic: ID theft (or low life parents)  (Read 1715 times)

client32

• friend
ID theft (or low life parents)
« on: February 10, 2006, 10:52:33 AM »
Something stated in the "Autopsy on an awful hoax" thread reminded me of this.

My wife told me about a new form of identity theft that was going around.  Parents are starting to use their kids IDs to rack up credit card bills and then never pay it off.  I don't know how all this would work, but I can asume that if this actually happens it just screws the kids if/when they try to get ahead or manage life.

A quick google search turned up this:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Banking/FinancialPrivacy/P77623.asp

I was just curious if anyone here has heard about this happening, or what the result would be for the kid.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 10:57:57 AM »
there are some sh**ty people out there, surprised this hasn't made main stream news sooner.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 11:03:33 AM »
Yes I've heard of it. And it's not just the parents. Anyplace where you have to "register" your kids, including the public schools will have the private info like SS# that is needed. One of the news shows did a report on this the other night.

The kid will have to hire a lawyer when they are old enough and work with the creditors to prove they were underage when the debts were incurred. They aren't hosed for life, but they are definitely starting in the hole.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 11:22:43 AM »
If you cant screw your kids, who can you screw?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 11:59:35 AM »
My God, the depths to which people sink.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 12:35:50 PM »
Ha.  That was actually the plot for an episode of "Married: With Children" about a decade ago.  Al Bundy signed up for a bunch of credit cards in his dog's name.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 12:39:11 PM »
Every time I think, "That's the lowest of the low.  A body can sink no lower," I am brought up short by the corruption at the heart of human nature.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 12:46:48 PM »
Yup, When I went to apply for a loan many years ago I found mom's back taxes on my credit report. Seems she somehow used my name somewhere along the line cause she was in a bind. I forget what I had to do about it. Write a letter somewhere IIRC.

"I want a girl, just like the girl, that married dear old Dad." ,,, NOT!!

LOL...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 12:48:18 PM »
I occasionally get nastygrams at my house, addressed to the cat that my ex had before we split up.  She signed up for Columbia House and got a bunch of cds in the cat's name, then reneged on the rest of the deal.  Around that time was when she left me for the guy she'd been boffing on the side, so I don't know the ultimate resolution.  It was five years ago she left; the letters were still trickling in as of a couple of months ago.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 12:59:57 PM »
Write "Deceased" on them and send them back.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 01:01:29 PM »
Quote from: BrokenPaw
I occasionally get nastygrams at my house, addressed to the cat that my ex had before we split up.  She signed up for Columbia House and got a bunch of cds in the cat's name, then reneged on the rest of the deal.  Around that time was when she left me for the guy she'd been boffing on the side, so I don't know the ultimate resolution.  It was five years ago she left; the letters were still trickling in as of a couple of months ago.

-BP
I used to work with a guy who's dog got a social security check. I would love to know how he did it, but he died (old co-worker) 10 years ago.

Every month he would bring the check it to show us all, it was like for $23 or some small amount like that.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Strings

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 03:05:25 PM »
>Every time I think, "That's the lowest of the low.  A body can sink no lower," I am brought up short by the corruption at the heart of human nature.<

NEVER doubt that there's another sub-basement under the depths humanity has sunk to, and you'll never be too supprised...

I've had my dad's taxes come to haunt me once: the IRS agent was adament that *I* had to pay the taxes on the house and business. I finally got fed up with trying to understand her through her accent, and demanded a manager. THAT worthy got everything straightened out (although at first, HE wanted me to pay as well).

Also got tied up with dad's credit report: wish I had paid more attention when it happened. I was applying for a loan for my first car, and the guy said my credit was too good: THERE'S a clue that the business isn't on the up-and-up... Sad

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 03:38:00 PM »
I've heard of this too. Mostly deadbeats who don't pay their utility or cable bills and set up a new account in their toddler's name. Way to really give the kid a winning headstart in life. Sad
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 04:57:04 PM »
A house I bought 20 years ago was owned by a single guy.  He had a female roomie who was a dead beat but not his girl friend.  So, at first I got a lot of dunning notices for her but they did taper off after some time.  I bought and moved to another house at the end of the same block.  I kept the old house for at least a couple of years, too.  Anyway, after a while I got more dunning notices at the new address.  No problem for me, I found it mildly  entertaining.

I do get paranoid when I get people calling one of my land lines looking for someone with the same name as the alias I've listed the line(s) under...
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!