Author Topic: Update on the old laptop - attn linux guru's  (Read 1301 times)

Iain

• friend
Update on the old laptop - attn linux guru's
« on: February 11, 2006, 07:34:33 AM »
The old laptop is up and running. Presently I have Ubuntu installed, but my specs are pretty marginal (433mhz Celeron, 96mb RAM) I did install it the other day and then moved on to try Puppy Linux, DSL, Vector and Beatrix. Each failed me significantly in some way, only Beatrix would actually go beyond recognising my processor and RAM before freezing, and it gave me a nightmare trying to install, before it failed.

So I reinstalled Ubuntu using the server option. I can easily reinstall a basic GUI using sudo apt-get install x-window-system-core gnome-session gnome-applets nautilus metacity gedit gnome-terminal and work from there. I would like to install XFCE to make Xubuntu, trouble is my pcmcia network card is not recognised and the only other way that I could connect to the internet is via the USB port on my router, but I believe that the USB support is not there due to something the computer says during boot-up about there being an overcharge on port 2.

Anyone got any bright ideas? I am requesting advice on ubuntu forums, but I know there are a few linux guys here too.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 04:02:51 PM »
We need more details. Make and model of laptop, video chipset, etc. Unlike desktops, laptops have a lot of quirky hardware in them. Hard to recommend patches, etc if we don't know what we're trying to work with.

With tight specs like that, you might consider this distro:
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 12:10:38 PM »
Bump the memory and install Debian.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 05:51:27 AM »
lee n. field, Ubuntu is Debian, with a friendlier install system.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 10:11:13 AM »
Not sure about the graphics card. Have Ubuntu server installed - is there a command I can enter to list it?

The laptop was made by a company I now believe is defunct, called Ultra. Looking up an ACPI error message that Ubuntu flashes up during boot I found this: http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/blacklist.html

My motherboard gives the same error message as INT440 (Compaq) is listed as giving, so I assume that it is in fact the same motherboard.

I tried DSL, it wouldn't go beyond recognising the basic specs of the system before freezing. I'd sort of like to work with Ubuntu as it has installed without being a complete nightmare, and maybe install IceWM or Fluxbox or something like that in order to give me a decent GUI and access to something like Abiword, without being too much of a resource hog.

It also occurred to me that I could use the Beatrix livecd to boot up Beatrix on the more powerful desktop computer and then use Synaptic to download the relevant programs. Then of course I'd have to find them on the computer and burn them to cd and then get the Ubuntu laptop to recognise and copy them. Possible?

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 07:45:47 PM »
OK, no APCI means you won't have control over the power functions such as sleep. Not a big deal, just means the battery will croak sooner.

Not sure on the ultra brand, your comment about Compaq is on track. You see nobody makes their own laptops. They are made by whitebox vendors in Taiwan, imported and final assembled here in the USA. The US vendors then just stick their name on them. You will often see the same laptop under multiple names.

Not sure on the command line for that one, I've gotten lazy with the newer and better GUI based linuxes out there. I want to say it's in a file in /etc but can't remember exactly. Can someone with a better memory help on this part?

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 03:35:58 AM »
lee n. field, Ubuntu is Debian, with a friendlier install system.
And a security model (no root, you sudo with your own password to do admin tasks) that I just can't get used to.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 09:54:47 AM »
Not sure about the graphics card. Have Ubuntu server installed - is there a command I can enter to list it?
lspci

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 10:41:34 AM »
I had an Atari once. You put this cartridge thingy in and Pac Man came on...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 02:01:34 PM »
I'm uncertain about Ubuntu, but some Linux flavors do have documented problems with vid cards on older laptops. I know Suse has options of forcing a particular display size to get a proper display.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Iain

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 02:28:13 PM »
I'll try the lspci command tomorrow. Thanks.

Ben - I didn't have any particular issues with the previous full Ubuntu install, except that it was slow as hell.

Brad - used to have an old BBC thing. It played Space Invaders real well. You put the cassette tape in, and roughly a week later you were all set.