Author Topic: New military or thinking about it should read this!  (Read 4115 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
New military or thinking about it should read this!
« on: July 12, 2010, 07:15:35 AM »
I can't believe they still let this crap go on right outside the gates. Don't let yourself get caught up by these SOBs. I used to go in and waste as much of their time as I could and then not go for their scam. Kind of like telling the telecaller to hold on and putting the phone down. It was something to do on an otherwise uneventful liberty. Get a few pops into you and go eff with the scam artists. Mucho funno.  :laugh:

The security people at Ohare would give us $5 each to harrass the Hare Krishnas. That was fun too. Good when you were broke and had nothing to do.  :angel:

Safe for work. 

http://www.parade.com/news/2010/07/11-red-white-and-scammed.html
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
Re: New military or thinking about it should read this!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 07:36:41 AM »
Addendum...

If you find yourself 3 hours away at a dealership that is forcing you to buy a car or be left without transportation back. AWOL or not. You call the most immediate superior you can reach and explain the situation. In my experience, when we were somehow delayed for a GOOD reason (not hangovers, girlfriends etc), all we had to do is call and we would not be written up. Chances are they'd send someone out to get you too.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 08:44:04 AM »
. . . The security people at Ohare would give us $5 each to harrass the Hare Krishnas. That was fun too. Good when you were broke and had nothing to do.  :angel:
Back when the Hare Krishnas were really active at O'Hare, I was passing through when a young Hare Krishna lady accosted me to sell me a lotus blossom or something. This was before piercings were as common as today, and I had a hard time taking my eyes off her nose, cheek, eyebrow, and lip rings.

Instead of buying her flower, I just said "You know, you'd be a very attractive young lady if you hadn't poked all those holes in your face . . . that's a real turn off."

As I walked off, I left her standing there with a rather perplexed expression on her face . . . and the snickers of other travelers who'd heard what I said.  :cool:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 08:50:04 AM »
The security people at Ohare would give us $5 each to harrass the Hare Krishnas. That was fun too. Good when you were broke and had nothing to do.  :angel:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 09:05:25 AM »
Yup, that's about the idea^^^  :laugh:

What they would do was offer us a "free book" of enlightenment or whatever amd then ask for a donation. If we didn't donate they wanted the book back. Sometimes they got it back, sometimes they didn't.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 09:51:26 AM »
That sounds like a perfect place for a couple extra copies of pocket-size New Testaments. "I'll take yours if you'll take mine." :angel:
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:15:44 PM »
That sounds like a perfect place for a couple extra copies of pocket-size New Testaments. "I'll take yours if you'll take mine." :angel: 
Better yet - give them pocket Korans. And then let it be known that they throw them away in the trash.   >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:55:33 PM »
ted nugent loves the krishnas
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 03:06:17 PM »
ted nugent loves the krishnas
Why?  Taste like deer?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 11:43:50 PM »
you never heard ted on that? he said " as i start into the terminal i get a couple oreo cookies and chew em up real good  when they hand me the lil book i open it up  spit the gob of chewed cookie into it and smash it shut on the gob and hand it back to em.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 06:43:45 AM »
Back in the dayTM the Marine Corps every once in a while would remind the merchants and townfolks of Jacksonville just how important it was to be nice to the jarheads, rather than try to rip us off or take advantage of our freespending ways and attraction to cheap, shiney trinkets like cars and jewelry by 1) putting the town off-limits for a week (if the previous weekend had seen a lot of marines getting abused and/or locked up over bogus beefs), or 2) holding two-dollar-bill pay days and offering between two and five cents bonus for each bill redeemed (if things were slowly drinfting south but not at the exploding point yet).

As Corporal of the Guard I supervised security at paydays and recall the difference in the weight of the money chests on a regular payday and on two-dollar-bill paydays.  Yes, back in my version of the Old Corps you got paid in Yankee greenbacks, and counted it back to the Paymaster to confirm it was correct.  You could then step to the next table and make deposits to the government savings account program, get money orders, or even buy additional Savings Bonds (issued on the spot!).

Nowdays I wonder if the civillians would even notice if the troops were confined to base of a weekend.

stay safe.

PS - Marine leaders were not totally retarded.  On the occassions when the town was posted as off-limits the clubs stayed open at least an hour later, and often two hours later.  And the price of a drink was reduced - how they could reduce the price of a 25-cent beer or a fifty-cent shot and still clear expenses was a mystery to us, just as was the selection of movies at the base theater.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 07:16:22 AM »

Nowdays I wonder if the civillians would even notice if the troops were confined to base of a weekend.

Some places might.  However with so many military people being married and living off post it wouldn't matter.  But they still put specific businesses off limits.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!